Got a mean look at the gym? Gym ettiquette?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    is it only at the gym where people spend so much time trying to analyze the thoughts of random strangers or do people do the same thing at like, Subway too?

You mean the sandwich store or the public transit? I give people lots of nasty looks on the subway. I hope they know exactly what I'm thinking.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Were you slinging sweat?
    Were you arguing with the book author (yes, I’ve done that, and cursed during)?
    Were on his elliptical (I named mine Martha)?
    Were you working harder than him?

Since the answer to all of this is likely no (except for maybe the last one, and he wouldn’t care), your are probably overthinking this.

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    So, let's say he did give you a dirty look.

Does it matter?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    is it only at the gym where people spend so much time trying to analyze the thoughts of random strangers or do people do the same thing at like, Subway too?

You mean the sandwich store or the public transit? I give people lots of nasty looks on the subway. I hope they know exactly what I'm thinking.

adam-levine.gif
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Worrying about what other people think of you at the gym is God's way of telling you to put more weight on the bar.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't fart as he walked by?
    I am I making something out of nothing?

Almost certainly. It most likely wasn't directed towards you at all.

Unless you actually did crop dust him.

lol. Love that term.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Who cares? Probably nothing to do with you at all. Maybe he's miserable. Maybe he was in pain. Maybe...who cares. You're there for YOU...not the creeper! LOL
  • Grunkle_Stan
    Grunkle_Stan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Look, I had an itchy nose. My nose itched. It's not a crime people.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    A lot of times when I'm looking at someone in the gym, I'm not actually looking at them...there just happens to be a very finite amount of space and only so many places you can look...I'm usually thinking about this, that, or the other and not actually looking at any one particular individual.

I apparently shot my buddy a dirty look tonight at the gym because he came up and asked if everything was ok and I was like, "yeah....why?" Him, "Giving me the evil eye bro."...Me, "oh...no...I've had a really tight hammie all day and it hurts like a *kitten*."

• Grunkle_Stan
    Grunkle_Stan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A lot of times when I'm looking at someone in the gym, I'm not actually looking at them...there just happens to be a very finite amount of space and only so many places you can look...I'm usually thinking about this, that, or the other and not actually looking at any one particular individual.

I apparently shot my buddy a dirty look tonight at the gym because he came up and asked if everything was ok and I was like, "yeah....why?" Him, "Giving me the evil eye bro."...Me, "oh...no...I've had a really tight hammie all day and it hurts like a *kitten*."

This guy gets me.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't fart as he walked by?
    I am I making something out of nothing?

Almost certainly. It most likely wasn't directed towards you at all.

Unless you actually did crop dust him.

Or maybe he was trying not to crop dust. Holding farts in makes me super grumpy.
  • aronao
    aronao Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Have you checked to see if your headphones leak sound? When I catch the train, I can often hear other people's music from their headphones. Did you have a towel? Most gyms require you to have a towel.

Were you staring at him? Making funny faces? Wearing offensively tight clothing? :wink:
    Maybe he's just like Grumpy Cat...grumpy face all the time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

this- besides anyone who has been to a gym for more than 5 minutes knows that anyone on the stair master is f8cking miserable and probably looks it.

So whatever- don't over think it.
  • lwatson0
    lwatson0 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're overthinking it :smiley:
    Most of the time people are just away somewhere else in their heads or just 'in the zone' and not really aware that they're looking. Personally, I wear glasses but for some reason always take them off at the gym: so I'm probably giving funny looks to people all the time and have no idea cause I can't even see them propw
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    He was having a stroke. Make sure you know CPR and mouth to mouth...
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hope this isn't too inappropriate, but maybe he had "Bitchy Resting Face Syndrome." This video explains the condition.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Unless you were passing gas, didn't have a shower for several days or were loudly singing, most probably he was not even looking at you and was thinking about something not related to you in any way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) you're overthinking it

2) if you can see the expression on someone's face after doing 20 minutes of cardio, you're not working hard enough

3) there are many people on this thread I have just fallen in love with a little