Definition of Meat

Options
dragonbug300
dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
I would like to know if there's any logical reasoning for people not counting fish as meat. I cannot fathom it. Here's the definition of "meat":

From Wikipedia:
"Meat is animal flesh that is used as food.[1] Most often, this means the skeletal muscle and associated fat, but it may also describe other edible tissues such as organs, livers, skin, brains, bone marrow, kidneys, or lungs."

So let's see: Do we eat the skeletal muscle of fish? Yes. Other edible tissues (such as skin)? Yes.
Fish are animals. Animals of any kind are meat. They are a source of complete protein. So when you're eating fish, what do you think you're eating? Plants?

It makes no sense to me! If anyone can clarify, please do.

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Seriously. As a veg and now a vegan it made me so mad when people would ask, "but you eat fish, right?" Or even better when they'd ask if I ate chicken,.

GAH!

But really, it's not their fault. It's the fault of all the people that call themselves vegetarian yet still eat fish (pescatarian) or chicken (OMNIVORE).
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    But really, it's not their fault. It's the fault of all the people that call themselves vegetarian yet still eat fish (pescatarian) or chicken (OMNIVORE).
    Mhm.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My argument EXACTLY!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Seriously. As a veg and now a vegan it made me so mad when people would ask, "but you eat fish, right?" Or even better when they'd ask if I ate chicken,.

GAH!

Totally totally agree.

I remember a particularly spectacular day in the canteen at university where the vegetarian option was.......Ham salad. Because it had salad in, didn't it?

If you eat things that once had the ability to get around under their own steam - you aren't vegetarian.
  • adougherty10
    Options
    People are just confused by what vegetarian means, they certainly don't mean to offend you (although it is very annoying), it's just ignorance and it gives you a great opportunity to educate them. I don't think "logic" has anything to do with it. It is hard to lump anyone into one category, as it is such a broad spectrum. My husband is a pescatarian but would never refer to himself as such, as he doesn't want to be labeled or get 1000 questions about his diet. He gave up red meat for health reasons 10+ years ago and then gave up poultry just recently for ethical reasons.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian who will someday be vegan :)
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If you have a restrictive diet, you are going to face challenges. Not everyone is going to know what you can't or choose not to eat. I'm lactose intolerant, but because a lot of people can eat cheese or just "take a pill," people assume that I can, too. I can't. But it doesn't annoy me if someone tells me to eat yogurt or take a Lactaid pill. They don't know me or the severity of my intolerance. All I have to say is "Oh, that doesn't work for me. I can't have any dairy at all." Boom. Conversation over.

Do you really think the entire world needs to be "educated" about your specific dietary needs and the various "degrees" of vegetarianism? Think about it - if I told my 93 year old grandmother that I was pescatarian, she wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about. If I said I was vegetarian, she'd know exactly what I couldn't eat (and I could add in the "but I eat fish" later).

"I'm a tenth-degree vegan. I don't eat anything that casts a shadow." -The Simpsons

ETA: Fixed a typo.
  • monoxidechick
    monoxidechick Posts: 339
    Options
    I have to admit that I am a bad guy in this discussion. I have been vegetarian for 8 years and it has just been so normal for me to say that I am vegetarian. I started eating fish less than a year ago, and still tell people to try to offer meat to me that I am vegetarian. The people I work with in a little reservation are blown away by the fact that I dont eat meat, even though I eat fish, that they still call me a vegetarian, because that is how they see it.

I never consider myself any better than anyone else, so really it doesnt make a big deal to me whether I carry the title or not. I know that fish is the same as any other animal and I dont understand it myself why I am suddenly ok with eating fish. I could never imagine eating any other animal, but for some reason this is alright.

I never mean to offend anyone, I just eat what I eat and let everyone else be. I claim to be vegetarian, but usually explain right away that I do eat fish just to try not to fool anyone or have anyone get offended. I dont know why titles are so important on everything and we should just be able to make our own decisions without offending someone out there.

Good job to anyone who is successful at veg eating and especially those who are vegan!!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've always thought of fish as meat too.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I am a bad guy in this discussion. I have been vegetarian for 8 years and it has just been so normal for me to say that I am vegetarian. I started eating fish less than a year ago, and still tell people to try to offer meat to me that I am vegetarian. The people I work with in a little reservation are blown away by the fact that I dont eat meat, even though I eat fish, that they still call me a vegetarian, because that is how they see it.

I never consider myself any better than anyone else, so really it doesnt make a big deal to me whether I carry the title or not. I know that fish is the same as any other animal and I dont understand it myself why I am suddenly ok with eating fish. I could never imagine eating any other animal, but for some reason this is alright.

I never mean to offend anyone, I just eat what I eat and let everyone else be. I claim to be vegetarian, but usually explain right away that I do eat fish just to try not to fool anyone or have anyone get offended. I dont know why titles are so important on everything and we should just be able to make our own decisions without offending someone out there.

Good job to anyone who is successful at veg eating and especially those who are vegan!!

I'm not offended at all by names--just a tad OCD! I just wanted to know if there was any particular reason that some people mix pescatarianism and vegetarianism. Sometimes I feel like it's just a lack of education, or perhaps trying to feel 'better' about their moral standing by not considering fish and chicken animals.
    But I can understand a bit better if it's more for the sake of convenience than anything.
    I'm allergic to milk proteins. People say "Oh, you're lactose intolerant". No, I'm not. But I go along with it sometimes just because I don't feel like repeating over-and-over that milk actually contains many different proteins which people could have allergies to.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't get it either. Mostly because the only pescatareans I've met have also been militant about vegetarianism. Stupid kids :(
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I just can't fathom eating meat. I do eat eggs. Need some form of natural protein.

So here's a story. My mother grew up a Hindu vegetarian, which basically meant she'd go nowhere near meat of any kind or even eggs. She moved to the UK to study (much before I was born) and took a trip around Europe. It was tough for her to eat anything but cheese and vegetables. She went on a cruise and asked for a vegetarian meal. And what came to her on the plate made her run to the restroom. There was a lot of vegetables alright. But there was also a whole fish with it's eyes in place staring at her. Poor thing.

I agree with the original post though. Fish are meat. Period.
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was a lacto-ovo-vegetarian for many years, but since I started eating fish a few years ago I stopped calling myself vegetarian. I just tell people that I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish. I know very well that fish is meat too, but it's just the easiest way to explain what I eat to other people, since most people distinguish between fish and meat. It has absolutely nothing to do with trying to be better than anybody else. One of the reasons why I eat fish but not other types of meat is because my body tolerates the fish much better. I started eating fish again because I felt I needed the protein and the omega-3. And my non-vegetarian friends and family thinks it's much easier to invite me over for dinner now :)

(Sorry if my English is a bit rusty. It's not my first language.)
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Simple answer: Because sushi is just so darn delicious. :) Also, no one knows what a pescatarian is. Lots of people barely understand vegetarianism. When I was a vegetarian, I always went through the same discussion time after time. I was very strict and very diligent. I did eat eggs, but that was because my parents raised chickens and I knew that the eggs were organic and cage free. But people just assumed I ate fish and chicken (I would often hear "But it is tuna, and that is vegetarian").
    I think another reason is Catholics are taught that fish isn't meat. Every lent Catholics are supposed to give up meat, but they are allowed to eat fish. Therefore, it has been hammered into their belief system that fish is not considered a meat.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I think another reason is Catholics are taught that fish isn't meat. Every lent Catholics are supposed to give up meat, but they are allowed to eat fish. Therefore, it has been hammered into their belief system that fish is not considered a meat.

wow. you learn something every day! from this day forward i will keep this in mind and be slightly less irritated when people ask if I eat fish :wink:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I would like to know if there's any logical reasoning for people not counting fish as meat. I cannot fathom it. Here's the definition of "meat":

From Wikipedia:
    "Meat is animal flesh that is used as food.[1] Most often, this means the skeletal muscle and associated fat, but it may also describe other edible tissues such as organs, livers, skin, brains, bone marrow, kidneys, or lungs."

So let's see: Do we eat the skeletal muscle of fish? Yes. Other edible tissues (such as skin)? Yes.
    Fish are animals. Animals of any kind are meat. They are a source of complete protein. So when you're eating fish, what do you think you're eating? Plants?

It makes no sense to me! If anyone can clarify, please do.

This is me...I would mostly define myself as someone "who doesn't eat meat but will occassionally eat fish" person. When I use the vegetarian label it is for ease of explaining for the 1000th time to ding a lings who don't listen that I do not plan on consuming that hamburger. Hot dog, grilled chicken etc. I am already tired of people's snarky moronic views on my relatively healthy diet and conscious choices to fuel my body that I just can't handle teaching ignorameouses the differences between lacto/ovo vegetarian...which I am minus one or two days a month, vegan, pescatarian etc.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I am married to one and I publish a vegetarian cooking blog and this drives me bonkers!!!! People who call themselves a vegetarian but eat fish or chicken. Fish is meat and chicken is meat.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but I am married to one and I publish a vegetarian cooking blog and this drives me bonkers!!!! People who call themselves a vegetarian but eat fish or chicken. Fish is meat and chicken is meat.

I don't make my food choices for anyone but myself anyway...
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Never been a vegetarian, vegan or anything else- enjoyed reading this post--may I add my own red neck reason:tongue: ??? In my home growing up ::::

Meat=Cow
    Chicken=Chicken
    Pork=pig
    Fish=Fish-only eaten on Friday during lent--or at a big Catfish Fry in the summer.

meat was not anything but BEEF--so maybe that is where they come from. :ohwell:
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    To all those who eat fish, but call themselves vegetarian to make it easier for yourselves, you're in turn making it harder for the real vegetarians to explain that they are vegetarian, and plus, they also don't eat fish either.

It doesn't make much a difference to me because my diet is more complicated than simply being a vegetarian. So I get the loads of questions anyway. I'm somewhat of an orthorexic as well. For example I don't eat chocolate, pizza, french fries, or any condiments. I buy lots of things unsalted and never add salt to anything. I don't drink cow milk (and yes I call almond/soy milk, "milk" even though it technically isn't milk, so you can yell at me for that), but I will eat things that were cooked with milk in it. I do eat eggs from a carton, and when I'm older I plan on having my own pet hens to be my friends and provide me with some eggs.

I absolutely do not think I am better than anyone because of my diet. I do have a little bit more respect for those who research different lifestyles/diets and stick to one that they learned is good for them, even if it means giving something that they love the taste of. And I'm sorry, but I also lose respect for those who give me the comment, "I could never be vegetarian because bacon/tacos/etc. taste so good. To me, that just sounds like, "I don't care about the consequences of my actions as long as I receive a temporary satisfaction from them." I do however, completely respect people's religious beliefs, and those who eat local meat (like salmon in Alaska) because it is more "green" than importing fruit from half a world away.

Again, I do not think I am better than others. I did not give up meat to become a better person, healthier, or to benefit the planet. I gave up meat as part of my crash diet before high school prom, and after a little over a month of not eating it, the thought of eating it again completely grossed me out. Now I have other reasons for staying a vegetarian, but it's personal.

One last thing, I am all for everyone doing what is best for them and not trying to "convert" others. I just really wish people would educate themselves on what they consume and how their body uses it.

EDIT: used the wrong "their." my bad.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Oh, you don't eat no meat? That's ok, I make lamb!