Anyone lose inches quicker than pounds?

Options

Replies

• farmgirl88
    farmgirl88 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am that way, too. My guess is that you are losing body fat! We have a nifty scale that shows our body fat %, muscle %, and water % in addition to our weight. If you don't have such a scale or want a free way to check on things, track your measurements and plug them into this calculator: livestrong.com/tools/body-fat-calculator/ . I was amazed how a few inches here and there translate into huge fat loss!
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    In four months I lost 4 pounds but I lost almost 10 inches...

I am just a denser person, so fat comes off of me slowly. I am also closer to my goal weight, so it is much easier for my body to tone (lose inches) rather than drop pounds.
  • rdy2begin
    rdy2begin Posts: 170
    Options
    I've dropped a pant size, but my weight has not change much since early April.
    Me all the way ..Havent lost lbs in over a mth ..have lost inches and clothes are loose so I happy but disappointed at the same time ...
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    THAT'S GREAT! It means that you're burning fat and either retaining or gaining muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so you may retain the exact same weight by gaining muscle and losing fat. This happens to people on sensible weight/fat loss programs because you want to retain all of your muscle.

Whatever you're doing, it's right! Keep up the great work!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Personally I would rather lose inches then weight.
  • jocelynrinear
    Options
    I am the same way. I am losing inches but the lbs are taking forever.
  • Jessicapages
    Jessicapages Posts: 427
    Options
    I just asked this question a few days ago...this is a link that a friend gave me.Hope it helps :smile: http://www.sportsdoctor.com/articles/weight.html
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Me to, but there's something gratifying about being able to say, "I look different? Oh, it must be those 20 lbs that I lost!" LOL!
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Generally, the only people that should be concerned with weight loss are athletes trying to “make weight” for some type of competition. The average person (and almost everyone on here) is concerned with fat loss. The common comment I usually make on the matter is “if you just want to lose weight, then all you have to do is cut off a limb and I will personally guarantee that you will lose 10-20lbs or more in a matter of minutes.”

The best way to measure your progress is by calculating your body fat percentage. The following link is to a calculator that uses the US Navy formula which takes various body measurements and estimates your body fat percentage with a margin of error of about 2-3%.

http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

If you are losing body fat (inches) then who cares what your body weight is? If you can get below a 20% body fat (which is consider an “athletic” build). I guarantee you will look better than someone at a lower body weight with a “fit” or “average” build.
  • steffie488
    steffie488 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hahha I am the same way!! I know even looking at myself that it looks like I've lost 20 pounds and losing two pants sizes that usually the amount.. but at this point I'm only at 13 so when people ask how much I am embarrassed because they think it's going to be some crazy number!
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I seem to sway back and forth - I'll lose pounds and not inches for a couple weeks and then my weightloss will taper off while I drop inches like crazy. In the past two weeks I've lost only one pound on the scale, but dropped one whole pants size!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I seem to sway back and forth - I'll lose pounds and not inches for a couple weeks and then my weightloss will taper off while I drop inches like crazy. In the past two weeks I've lost only one pound on the scale, but dropped one whole pants size!

I have done the same exact thing! I was in a 18/20 at the beginning of the month and now I can fit in a size 16, but I've only lost 1 lb. since the middle of April. It's kind of annoying but I know I'm doing all the right stuff, just gotta keep at it!
  • kasargent
    kasargent Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing this morning. Now, I am only finishing my first week of this, and the scale hasn't moved a whole lot, but I was able to SQUEEZE into a pair of jeans today that I tried to put on a couple weeks ago that would not button. ?? I guess everyone's different. :-) But I have worked out 6/9 days and can feel a slight shift in the way I feel... Keep up the good work!
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Me to, but there's something gratifying about being able to say, "I look different? Oh, it must be those 20 lbs that I lost!" LOL!

Lol yes! The whole point of this is to look and feel better. No one ever makes you step on a scale when they see you. They just walk up to you, see you, and say oh you have lost weight! I love when people say you look great! Because I feel great. =)
  • allisong83
    allisong83 Posts: 11
    Options
    are you exercising??? cause you may be replacing fat to muscle, and muscle weighs more. so losing inches makes good sense if this is the case. Just a thought. Sounds like your doing great one way or another :) Connie

This is a myth. Muscle does not weigh more than fat.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I am like you, I keep joking around with family members that I will be a size 2 and still weigh in the high 180's low 190's.
    lol
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    are you exercising??? cause you may be replacing fat to muscle, and muscle weighs more. so losing inches makes good sense if this is the case. Just a thought. Sounds like your doing great one way or another :) Connie

This is a myth. Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

.....So are you saying that we're getting fatter as we're losing inches? Because if so that really doesn't make any sense.
  • pjbercot
    pjbercot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have quit looking at the scale for this very reason. Started in early January 2011 at 235. Dropped 10 lbs like ti was going out of style. Since Feb 2011 I have hovered around 224, but have gone from a 40 waist to almost a 34. Not complaining just saying. I do Cardio, Endurance Weights and Just Weights. I know I am gaining muscle and loosing fat but it would be nice to see <200 lbs on the scale.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you take a 1 inch cube of muscle and the same of fat, yes the muscle will weigh more, but if you simply take a pound of fat and a pound of muscle they weigh exactly the same... a pound, but the fat will certainly be taking up more space :)
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    If you take a 1 inch cube of muscle and the same of fat, yes the muscle will weigh more, but if you simply take a pound of fat and a pound of muscle they weigh exactly the same... a pound, but the fat will certainly be taking up more space :)

Now THAT makes sense!!! lol!