Protein

Options
Anybody got tips for protein intake, that is not too high on calories or fat?

I got some ideas like eggs, tuna, meat etc. Tuna happens to be really good, and baked beans is alright but getting a bit sick of tuna and it's fairly expensive. One thing I've discovered is Morrisons honey roast ham is 2g per slice, and that's fairly cheap for a small top up if other people wanted to know.

Need to know as I'm finding it hard to reach my intake sometimes, and I'm supposed to be building a bit more muscle!

Replies

• charlottebronte
    Options
    Chobani yogurt: an individual serving has 14 grams of protein, 0 fat, 140 calories. You can buy it in a larger tub, too; that would be more economical.
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Whey protein, it's the cheapest per gram source of protein in existence.
  • JBRENTLINGER
    JBRENTLINGER Posts: 160
    Options
    I choose boneless, skinless chicken breasts, White Flounder Filets, Salmon, Liquid Egg Whites (I mix with one real egg to give it flavor), and lentils.
  • Kittens08
    Kittens08 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    yoplait has greex 2x protien yogurt. its low in calories and high in protien and fiber. and its super yum :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I ended up going with whey protein to be able to get closer to my calorie goal, I was just having trouble eating that much I mean I have a freezer full of beef and pork, just don't always have/take the time to cook enough up so whey protein (unflavoured) is my route.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder
    Egg whites - literally added to anything, you can consume them raw if you buy pasteurized.
    Nonfat, plain greek yogurt
    Chicken breasts
    Chicken sausage
    Protein bars, just be sure to check sugar and fat content
    Beans, nuts, other legumes
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    Options
    Fat free greek yogurt, 1% milk fat cottage cheese no sodium added, whey protein powder, chicken, ground turkey, low fat cheese. I actually eat Kashi Go Lean Cereal every morning...it has 13 grams of protein along with 10 grams of fiber. It's the one thing in my diet I will not go a day without.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Seitan is high in protein, (18-20g per 100 cals) found in health food stores. Soy nuts are inexpensive and great for snacking - 1 ounce (about a heaping TBL) has 11g protein, 6g of fat. Tofu is cheap and makes awesome pita sandwiches, bean salads are good too.
  • scotwin
    scotwin Posts: 2
    Options
    The easiest way to get extra protein without extra calories is through whey protein powder. 100
    % whey is fairly expensive but it is free of fat. I use it as a daily supplement. Get a unflavoured kind and you can use it for all kinds of food. E.i. smoothies, chocolate shakes or use it when you make muffins or bread.
  • DiggNationFan
    DiggNationFan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cheers :), a lot of good suggestions here guys. I'll go have a look for some of these things the next time I'm at the Supermarket. If I don't find them, I'll go to a health food shop for whey protein I think. Thanks again.