Curves! Not Bulking

Options
Hi, Im new to this whole thing. I would like to gain about 10-15 lbs but my main question is, Do I have to lift weights? I dont mind exercising but I do not want to bulk up. I just want a lean, toned body. More of the curves that is.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you want to gain weight but want to be/stay lean then you must add muscle. This is done best by weight training. Like MrM27 stated, most women have trouble with gains in general and have to work very hard to accomplish their goal of adding muscle.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're more likely to get 'bulky' if you gain while not lifting weights as you will gain mostly fat.

10-15 lb in a 50/50 muscle to fat ratio is going to leave you a lot slimmer than gaining mostly fat will.

Probably not what you'll want to hear but going for a 0.5 lb a week gain while using some kind of progressive strength programme (be that with weights or bodyweight exercises) is the way to go to achieve the look you want.

I find it hard to believe that the, weight lifting will make women bulky, opinion is still so widespread.

ETA: I am on my second bulk/cut cycle (the cut part, unfortunately) and my waist is 2" smaller at the same weight as when I started heavy lifting. I have been at this for over 2 years and am far from bulky.

Read this,
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    just go lift- it's really hard to get bulky.

I've been lifting something or another for almost 2 decades.. Still not ACTUALLY bulky.

<edit- yes I'm trying>
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Yes, as said above, aim for a half a pound gain a week, if you're following a good program (check out Strong Curves) you'll gain muscle in all the right places. Then if you want to you can do a small cut at the end to lose a bit more fat and keep the muscle.

I've gone from overy 30% fat to 15% this way, and I have 25" waist and 37" hips, and curvy thighs.
    I used to be saggy and my posture was pretty awful.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Women lack the testosterone to bulk without steroids... You will actually become more toned from the weight training.
  • Springfield1970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    kdeaux1959 wrote: »
    Women lack the testosterone to bulk without steroids... You will actually become more toned from the weight training.

Women build muscle (with the unavoidable fat gain = bulk) if they get it right, but they have an approx limit of a quarter of a pound a week. Which isn't bad considering that men have a half a pound potential and they have 10 times as much testosterone as us.

What do you mean by toned?
  • veronicafuentes84
    veronicafuentes84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I definitely don't want a 100% fat. I'm short so that's not gonna work. Ok, so lifting is a must. I work and have 2 small kids so I was trying to avoid gym, but if I want to be at my goal weight and in shape seems like lifting is the way to go.

Thank you all for the info!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For me, adding muscle created curves. It gave a little more oomph to my chest and shoulders, which made my waist look tinier and my overall shape look more hourglass than pear-shaped, and made my bum high and perky.
  • Springfield1970
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I definitely don't want a 100% fat. I'm short so that's not gonna work. Ok, so lifting is a must. I work and have 2 small kids so I was trying to avoid gym, but if I want to be at my goal weight and in shape seems like lifting is the way to go.

You can do it! I'm a single mum, and that lifting turned me into a warrior that has built a business and got over a 17 year relationship breakdown. It basically makes me strong for life.

It's the best thing you'll ever do and your kids will be influenced by it. My son sees me do races and triathlon and it just gives him a sense of entitlement to be a sports person. I can't wait to teach him to lift! His dad never got his shape together, but this kid certainly will!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Check out Waldo's site. He's built an amazing physique using just bodyweight, http://strengthunbound.com

Or if you have space you could gradually built a home gym, like I have.

Your kids will thank you for it. Along with the aesthetic improvements, you'll have more energy and be calmer and happier (not to mention the health benefits - hormone balance, improved bone density etc.). - if I'm at all cranky, my two will ask if I've squatted today XD
  • veronicafuentes84
    veronicafuentes84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That’s awesome! You ladies inspire me and I defiantly want to keep my kids fit. Their dad’s side of the family is bigger and I already see my daughter going that route. I haven’t really told her anything because she’s only 8 and I don’t want her to feel self-conscious. So I plan on buying us all new bikes this summer so we can go bike riding as a family. My son is small like me and he loves football, going put him in football this spring.

As far as for me, I found a local gym close to work. My plan is to go during my lunch hour to start lifting! It’s always great to hear advice from the same sex. Thanks again!