Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dietitian, Nutritionist or neither?

Hi all.
I'm 2 weeks into a lifestyle change and I am still figuring things out. I could use some advice, please.

My eating habits and what I eat have been terrible for years. I've also been pretty sedentary for the last 6 years and the combination has taken its toll. I've realized that regardless of the reading I am doing I still don't have a good grasp on a sustainable diet plan. I've pretty much been living on roasted chicken breast and the few green veggies I like for 2 weeks now.

I have about 100 pounds to lose and I don't feel strong anymore. I want to put together a healthy sustainable diet and turn going to the gym into a habit. I talked to my doc about weight loss and he referred me to a dietitian. My GF is a psychologist and she's given me the name of a nutritionist that she refers some of her clients to. My insurance will not cover visits to either so it would be out of pocket. I've also found a gym I like and am going to join next week and begin the 5x5 program. It's been years since I've picked up weights so I really want to get a couple of sessions in with a trainer to help me get my form right and get me on my way.

It's going to be a stretch to pay for both personal trainer sessions and visits to a dietitian or nutritionist this month. I could do it, but do I need to? I've never been to a dietitian or nutritionist before and I am not really sure what it will entail. Also, can anyone tell me the difference between the two and which I would be better off working with if I do?

Thanks much!
Chris-

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Can you cook

What foods do you like?

Check out www.skinnytaste.com for ideas and widen your repertoire of go to foods. Eat a range of colourful vegetables...make your food work for you

Weigh and Log all your food and hit your calorie defecit ...work on the defecit over the week, it's ok to go over and under on different days as long as you hit your defecit

Keep an eye on your protein and fat macros (try to hit these, many treat them as a minimum) and don't worry about anything else

You've got this!

I'd invest in the PT over a dietician and would never see a nutritionist
  • I suppose u should go to nutritional first.. And check what need to.be eaten n all.. She.will ask for.some tests. U need to get that done too. She will also help.u which exercise need to be done.. This is according.to.ur pocket. Don't go gym for.first month. Try morning n evening walks... Cycling and all. Whatever u do..keep urself hydrated... Drink water as much as u can . First u.c how u feel with morning walk.. Jogging.. Or.cycling. Then accordingly start the gym. But starting every thing at the same time is not decision. Take one step at a time with pocket concerns... But stick to ur believe and try to be active..tc.good luck
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Not having any idea about what to eat seems like a more urgent problem than the personal training. If I were you, I would put my money there first.

You don't need a fancy exercise program to start out with if you have been completely sedentary. Just start moving again and get into the habit of doing something active every day, even if it is just walking. I tend to feel like personal training is a little bit of a waste if you can't keep up at all. You may get more out of it if you can develop some endurance first.

Certainly do one general orientation before you start lifting weights (this is free at a lot of gyms), but a personal trainer can probably wait.

Good luck! It sounds like you are putting a lot of effort and thought into this, which is a great sign that you are ready to make a meaningful change.

• RangedLunatic
    RangedLunatic Posts: 49 Member
    I'm not sure about your state, but in a lot of places, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist. You have no way of knowing how qualified they might be. Definitely skip that.

Should you see a registered dietician? Probably. But if it's expensive why not see how things go on your own first? You could always save that expense for next month.
  • cenetamashiro
    cenetamashiro Posts: 1 Member
    Just for your information, the main difference between a nutritionist and a dietician is that a dietician has a degree in food science. This means that they know of the risks associated with certain diets or they can tailor a diet specifically to a patient's needs. Basically anyone that wants to be a nutritionist can slap a label on a card and call themselves a nutritionist. I'm not saying they might not be helpful but most likely they won't be as knowledgeable and may not give you the most accurate information.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Can you cook

What foods do you like?

Check out www.skinnytaste.com for ideas and widen your repertoire of go to foods. Eat a range of colourful vegetables...make your food work for you

Weigh and Log all your food and hit your calorie defecit ...work on the defecit over the week, it's ok to go over and under on different days as long as you hit your defecit

Keep an eye on your protein and fat macros (try to hit these, many treat them as a minimum) and don't worry about anything else

You've got this!

I'd invest in the PT over a dietician and would never see a nutritionist

I'd agree with this advice - I read your profile and you seem like a pretty smart guy. I'd be inclined to spend some money on a few books on nutrition and get reading - there is quite a lot of conflicting advice out there and you may not get a dietician with the most up to date information. What sort of diet could you sustain? Are you willing to learn to cook or will you have to rely on ready prepared food? I quite like the Tim Ferriss approach at least to start with (4 hour body - that doesn't rely on being able to cook much) he then decided he was going to learn and brought out the "4-hour Chef" book which would be good for someone who wanted to learn those skills. There are plenty of free internet sources for healthy recipes (be they reduced calorie, low carb, low GL or whatever).

I would invest in the personal trainer. I think it is important to get your form right when starting with weights if you get that wrong and injure yourself then that will set you back. You may only need a handful of sessions with a trainer to get started.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I would invest into a nutritionist or dietician instead of a personal trainer. If you have a person coming with recommendations, it is worth giving it a try. If you feel you cannot do the stronglifts program on your own, start with something you are more comfortable with, it will not slow your progress at this stage. Just adding 30 minutes of walking to your routine a few times per week and ideally some basic resistance exercises you feel comfortable doing (with body weight, dumbbells or whatever machines are available at the gym, if you are not comfortable starting with barbells) will be a great start. Not knowing where to start with eating is a more basic problem.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Nutritionists often have their own ideas and agendas and essentially anyone could claim to be a nutritionist. Dietitians are registered health care professionals who can assess and tailor diets to their clients. So if you did want to see someone, find a registered dietitian.

Having said that, there is so much information out there. Reading a good Human Nutrition text book could give you a good background knowledge and understanding of energy and nutrient requirements.

There is also a lot of good information in these forums, this thread particularly stands out:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Stick with your personal trainer for fitness until you feel comfortable lifting alone.
  • xrachel2014
    xrachel2014 Posts: 18 Member
    I am a dietitian so would be biased ;) but just seconding what others are saying.

A dietitian is a protected title so you have to be have to have an appropriate degree in dietetics and be registed with the appropriate body where you practice is monitored (BDA and the HCPC in the UK, ADA in the USA etc) A nutritionist may have a degree in nutrition but it's not a protected title so anyone can call themselves one. Dietetians are able to give bespoke advice based on someones clinical and health condition aswell while nutritionists often are just trained to give population wide advice.

Who you see you be down to what you need, there are specalist sports and exercise dietetics. I'm always wary of the nutrition advice given by a PT. I went to univeristy for 4 years and have been practicing as a dietitian for over 5 years. Admitted, no zero about sports and exercise nutrtion as I work in an acute setting (hospital) For myself to give sports and exercise dietetic advice, I would need to complete an additional 2 years masters degree (i'm from the UK) so I wonder how exactly a PT has learnt what advice they give!
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    I started my journey after visiting a naturapath. I'm not saying they are better at all, in fact I don't even know her qualifications, but I did find getting into the healthy eating habits and seeing results in my health and weight, encoraged me to look into other avenues such as exercising. I also have regular appointments/weigh ins to keep me on track. So I would recommend definitely seeing a dietition or someone who can help you in the right direction with eating habbits.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Just for your information, the main difference between a nutritionist and a dietician is that a dietician has a degree in food science. This means that they know of the risks associated with certain diets or they can tailor a diet specifically to a patient's needs. Basically anyone that wants to be a nutritionist can slap a label on a card and call themselves a nutritionist. I'm not saying they might not be helpful but most likely they won't be as knowledgeable and may not give you the most accurate information.

That is not the case everywhere. Where I am, a nutrionist is a protected label and can be interchangeable with a registered dietician.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    If money is tight I wouldn't go to either the dietician or nutritionist. I visited a dietician years ago and found I've had more success educating myself using the vast online resources.. At the end of the day it comes down to your commitment level. Make sure you are eating enough calories and not restricting too much, and try and keep it fresh, cuz man chicken breast gets tiresome after a while
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    You have internet, therefore have access to a ton of FREE information. Try that!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You have internet, therefore have access to a ton of FREE information. Try that!

This is true. However, I did find investing money and receiving real face to face advice helped me stay committed in the beginning. It worked better for me.

OP weight loss is at least 80% diet. Therefore I would spend money on a dietitian first. A dietitian is certified and is more likely more knowledgeable than a nutritionist. Personally I found my sessions very informative and helpful. There are a lot of people on the internet who have no idea what they are talking about.

I'm also a fan of personal trainers, love mine. If you want to see one but have to wait a month, just do some machines or light cardio until you would start a serious lifting program and get pointers on form again. If you've been sedentary for a long time, just get your body used to moving. Do lots of stretching. A month of that will probably help make your time with the PT more beneficial.

You can definitely do it all without either...it comes down to your own personal preference and budget.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You are tracking all your food here, right? My dietitian got me to start tracking here because she is technically literate and can breeze through my meals on my iPhone to see if anything stands out. She uses the MFP information to give direction on what I might change.

Since money is an issue, go to the cheapest option (dietitian/nutritionist). There's also the matter of compatibility. If your choice does not fit, try the other.
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    There are a couple great books to start with that will help: The Beck Diet Solution and The Mayo Clinic Diet. One offers help on WHY you eat too much, the other offers a sound nutritional and exercise plan. I found them very helpful.
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    You are tracking all your food here, right? My dietitian got me to start tracking here because she is technically literate and can breeze through my meals on my iPhone to see if anything stands out. She uses the MFP information to give direction on what I might change.

Since money is an issue, go to the cheapest option (dietitian/nutritionist). There's also the matter of compatibility. If your choice does not fit, try the other.

I love this advice!

I'm nearly a month into my weight loss journey and needed some meal time inspiration. A good friend of mine suggested I check out skinnytaste.com. It's a healthy recipe site. The meal ingredients are affordable and there are tons of amazing recipes. All the recipes I have made from skinnytaste are easy to prepare and my husband and kids love everything I have made.

Also make friends on here with someone has lost a lot of weight and look at their open food journal. That is a fun way to gain new meal and snack ideas, while making new friends. Best wishes!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    It seems to me you are lacking ideas. Here's a suggested meal plan that might help you step out of your rut. I don't bother meal planning lunch. I typically have leftovers from the day before.

98946345.png
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I agree with alot of the posts above, just need to figure out how to balance different foods. Mostly you just have to look at your diary, figure out what you are missing, and find things you want to eat that include them. Don't be afraid to experiement with cooking. There are tons of easy recipes and neat ideas on the recipe boards here or just plain google it.

If you are going to start lifting and not sure how to lift properly I think the trainer at the gym is more urgent. Its does not sound like you are going to die any time soon from you diet, but lifting improperly can lead to injury.
  • Aliokona
    Aliokona Posts: 1 Member
    The RD who first applied is absolutely right - a Registered Dietician goes through a lot of food science and clinical training. Nutrition is so personal - there's tons of information and studies to sort through, but at the end of the day the most important study group is n=1: you.

If you have a chronic condition, your insurance may cover a RD. Some insurance even covers for prediabetes (hopefully more and more will cover this). 1 and 3 people have prediabetes, and most don't know it. Check your lab results for A1C or blood sugar levels from your last physical.

An RD is a good investment, helping you look at your medical history and evaluate your goals to figure out what's best for you. Like another user said, it makes it much easier to sort through the noise when you do your own research online.