Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Dietitian, Nutritionist or neither?

2»

Replies

• Terrapin88
    Terrapin88 Posts: 13 Member
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies, links and advice everyone!

Can I cook? Meh, my skills are pretty limited, but I'm not afraid to learn. I've relied too much on fast food chains and easy to make processed foods to do my cooking for me over the years. Now I am paying the piper. It seems obvious that learning to cook is going to be a basic skill I need to acquire to be successful, so I will learn. Though I love chicken breast it is definitely getting tiresome using it as my main staple, especially without the benefit of buttered mashed potatoes, gravy and cranberry sauce. ;)

xrachel2014 brought up a point that I feel is important. She mentioned that though she is a dietitian, she works in a hospital setting and wouldn't be able to give "exercise dietetic advice". The dietitian I was referred to and spoke with over the phone has 30 years experience, but her expertise is in working with senior citizens combating diabetes. She may not be the best fit for me and my goals. Against all odds, I still have a good amount of muscle under this fat and I do not want to lose it during weight loss. I don't want a one size fits all meal/nutrition plan. I need one tailored for my goals. I know that with the right information and advice I can make a sustainable plan for myself. I believe in the give someone a fish, feed them for a day. Teach someone to fish, feed them for a lifetime approach to life. I don't want to depend on a health professional to keep me on track. I believe that's up to me and I have to own that. I just need a little help acquiring the knowledge and some guidance in using it. I am starting to think I can get a lot of that here on MFP.

There is so much contradictory information online that I sometimes feel like I am chasing my tail. That's why I considered a dietitian. It's not difficult to start to feel overwhelmed while trying to sift through it all. Coming to MFP has already helped me. I will take a look at the skinnytaste link and the books mentioned.

Thanks again to everyone that's responding. I do appreciate you taking the time to offer me guidance. (*)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I must pass this link out at least once a week. It's expanded my repertoire, and I am an experienced cook.
    enhanced-15072-1405721886-1.jpg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/foods-everyone-should-learn-to-cook#.dhYVr2abn
  • Terrapin88
    Thank you jgnatca. You don't know how badly I want a cheese burger. :) I will give that a read.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    edited March 2015
    I would choose neither.
    choosemyplate.gov/supertracker-tools/daily-food-plans.html
    You could look at other people's food diaries for food ideas. There are a few threads asking for people with open diaries.
    You could do an internet search for whatever calorie meal plan and get a sample meal plan that would fit your calorie goal.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    A dietician has the training and resources to research if they need to find out more info for you. A nutritionist is going to tell you whatever you do is wrong if it doesn't match what they want you to do. I've had self-proclaimed nutritionists on this site tell me the WOE that was set up by my RD was "bad."

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Terrapin88 wrote: »
    Thank you jgnatca. You don't know how badly I want a cheese burger. :) I will give that a read.

You could easily have a cheeseburger, just make it fit in your calories

Google healthy cheeseburger recipes

Here's two
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2249657/homemade-burgers-with-sweet-potato-wedges

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/01/salsa-verde-burgers.html
  • Terrapin88
    Thanks for that link Lounmoun. I didn't know about it and the info looks useful. I haven't had any bread or milk in 2 weeks. Part of the reason is that I am trying to veer away from eating so much of both as bread and milk have been daily staples for me for years. Some of the reading I've done demonizes bread as the great evil. Now I see the I should probably include some in my diet.
  • jgnatca
    I can't digest bread as well as I used to so my daily allowance is a couple slices a day. I keep my bread in the freezer. You might want to do the same to control portions.
  • Terrapin88
    Thanks for the reply JPW1990.

Thanks rabbitjb! Oh, sweet cheeseburgers! Life is good.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    I once went to a dietitian based on my docs advice. I had a bad experience. She honestly didnt tell me anything i didnt know already, just the basics. It didnt help that she had a judgemental tone too. I walked in open to ideas and scared to tell someone how bad my diet was. I walked out frustrated and telling myself what a waste of time. But I realize that could have been just this one person and im sure there are many helpful knowledgeable dietitians out there, so no offense. Just my thoughts based on my ONE experience. I still wish i could find someone to individualize my meal plans for me, as im basically winging it. Best of luck to you!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    i've been to both, seeing a Dietician now and there is a big difference, sticking with dietician
  • Lounmoun wrote: »
    I would choose neither.
    choosemyplate.gov/supertracker-tools/daily-food-plans.html
    You could look at other people's food diaries for food ideas. There are a few threads asking for people with open diaries.
    You could do an internet search for whatever calorie meal plan and get a sample meal plan that would fit your calorie goal.

Same here. The Internet is your friend. Everything you need can be found with a little research.
  • fattofit_fritch26
    fattofit_fritch26 Posts: 131 Member
    I would invest in a personal trainer...honestly what you need to eat is all about research (from reputable sources that is), and it's something you can easily teach yourself...lifting and exercise is a little more complex, and even knowing what workouts to do, the proper technique isn't something you can find online (well you can but it may not always help).
  • down_ell_beez
    down_ell_beez Posts: 23 Member
    Dietitians have much more education and certifications over a nutritionist, so I would recommend a dietitian over nutritionist. They will have more medical experience and understand how your diet might react with any medical conditions you may have.

Anytime you look for counseling like that you should do your research and find a counselor that has experience in what your goals are. For instance, are you trying to just eat healthier? Do you want to become a bodybuilder? Do you want a meal plan, or would you rather learn to create your own eating plans? Read reviews about that person/organization.
    Once you find one, do the single meeting first, then if everything jives you can get a package deal. If you buy the package deal first and hate you, you'll be out a lot more money.

Overall I think that getting professional help is a great way to get knowledge and a kickstart. Its definitely not something you would do for long periods of time.

• Terrapin88
    From the replies it looks like most favor a dietitian over a nutritionist. Noted. Thanks for the responses. I am going to put a dietitian visit on the back burner to give myself enough time to research and absorb the info on the links folks have posted for me. I am going to go forward with starting free weights and using a PT to correct my form. If it takes more than one session for me to be doing it right, then so be it. It's a good investment.

Thank you everyone who's tried to help. This was my first post after reading the forums for a few days looking for answers. You guys have taken some of the stress I was feeling off of my shoulders and I absotively appreciate it!
  • jgnatca
    Thumbs up buddy! You got this. I predict a year from now you will read this and not even recognize your old self.
  • Terrapin88
    Thanks jgnatca. :)