Mfp predicted weightloss

Options
I'd like to hear about people's previous my fitness pal predicted weightloss and if they turned out to be any way roughly accurate (depending how people stuck to it

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I didn't track specificly based on MFP's 'if everyday were like this you'd weigh xxx pounds in 5 weeks' messages (especially since I don't bother clicking finish each day so never get those messages anyway), but I can tell you how my weight went based on my deficit and TDEE.

This is based on a time period of 31 weeks (around 8 months) losing 23lbs going from 135lbs to 112lbs at 5'4. My TDEE for that time was around 1500-1600 and I netted about 1200-1300 a day. I did eat my exercise calories back, but very rarely exercised. So my deficit was about 300 a day, though I didn't stick to it perfectly ever day. With that sort of deficit I'd expect 0.5-1lb a week loss. I go an average loss 0.7lbs a week, which is pretty much exactly what you'd expect. I'm pretty sure MFP runs on the same estimates, so I'd say it's pretty accurate.
  • vegannewbie101
    Options
    @DemoraFairy‌ it estimates around a 10lb loss on 5 weeks? Do you think that's achievable?
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    @DemoraFairy‌ it estimates around a 10lb loss on 5 weeks? Do you think that's achievable?

It's achievable if you're very overweight and have over 50lbs to lose. But if your profile is correct and you have 15lbs to lose it isn't healthy. You're better off aiming for 0.5lbs per week (2.5lbs in 5 weeks).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I've never had it be accurate.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I love that little feature. I find it highly motivational. I complete my diary everyday just so I can see it. But I've never tried writing down it's predictions on a calendar and then going back in 5 weeks to see how accurate it is. For one… bodies just don't work that smoothly. There are too many variables in scale weight. Not to mention….my weight changes every week. My calorie intake is not exactly the same every day. Both of those things would have to be the exact same every day for those 5 weeks in order for those predictions to be true. I don't understand why people don't get that. What part of "IF EVERY DAY WERE LIKE TODAY" do people not understand?
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I actually tracked this to see if it was anywhere near right, forgive me but I was curious. On 2/10 I weighed 223.6 and it said I'd weigh 212.2 in 5 weeks (3/17). Well I weighed 211.6 on 3/10 so I beat it by a week. Now on 3/2 I weighed 214.8 and it said in 5 weeks (4/6) I'd weigh 199.5 I have a feeling that won't be happening as I'm currently 211.2. So it's hit or miss :)

I agree that it's saying that will be your weight loss only if you do the exact same amount of exercise and eat the exact same calories, and even then weight loss doesn't always work that perfectly.
  • vegannewbie101
    Options
    @ArkMom35‌ that's amazing congratulations ❤️ If I follow exactly that prediction for 5 weeks do you think in your opinion 10lbs is a possibility?
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question. It certainly could be possible, but would it be healthy?! I see you have just 10 lbs to lose, so that would put you at losing 0.5 lb a week healthily and therefore, no, it doesn't sound appropriate to lose 10 lbs in 5 weeks. I lost that much because I have a whole lot of weight to lose. Just try your best to eat at a healthy deficit and exercise, and eventually the 10 lbs will come off.
  • vegannewbie101
    Options
    @ArkMom35‌ that's just my first goal, ideally I want to lose 20lbs and be at around 119
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    There was someone recently who ate the same calories and did the same exercise every day for 5 weeks to test this feature. If I recall correctly, the predictor still wasn't accurate at the end.
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    someone posted on a board the other day that they ate the exact same thing for five weeks (it was oatmeal or something). 1) they said it was horrible and they had to force themselves to eat it by the end of the 5 weeks 2) the predictions were not accurate
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    @ArkMom35‌ that's amazing congratulations ❤️ If I follow exactly that prediction for 5 weeks do you think in your opinion 10lbs is a possibility?
    If you're around 139 now, no, you're not going to be losing 2 pounds a week consistently (unless you're 3' tall). As you get lighter, the amount of weight you can realistically and safely lose each week decreases, and you're already fairly light. If you were 239 or 339 now, it would be a different story.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It will only be as accurate as you are accurate at logging and consistency. Use a food scale! And only eat back 50% of your exercise calories.

Same as @DemoraFairy I didn't track the 5 week prediction, but I did track my calorie deficit, and lost faster than I expected. I worked out 5 times per week and ate below my calories pretty much every single day, and lost 1.5 pounds every week. Sometimes I would stall for 5 days (from regular fluctuations), but at the end of the week, it would drop, because bottom line, I was in a deficit. I maintained that 6 pound a month loss for 5 months before intentionally slowing the loss during my transition to maintenance.

It can be done. It's not easy though.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    If you're around 139 now, no, you're not going to be losing 2 pounds a week consistently (unless you're 3' tall). As you get lighter, the amount of weight you can realistically and safely lose each week decreases, and you're already fairly light. If you were 239 or 339 now, it would be a different story.

@AliceDark makes an excellent point, with 10 pounds to go, you should be aiming for absolutely no more than 1 pound a week!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    For me that feature is rather like reading the horoscope every day (which I do). It's cheap entertainment :smile:
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    For me that feature is rather like reading the horoscope every day (which I do). It's cheap entertainment :smile:

Me too... Seeing that actually motivates me for the next day.
    Im a visual person so every bit counts :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I wish they'd remove it from the app. It does more harm then good IMO. First, it's usually not accurate. Second, people might be eating what is a good amount for them, and they get nervous and reduce calories simply because this made up number 5 weeks from now isn't low enough. If MFP's predicted weight loss was correct, I'd be gaining around 1.5 lbs a week. I am gaining 0.5 (my goal). When I diet, I'd be losing about 2 lbs per 5 weeks according to MFP. I typically lose 1-2 lbs a week. If I put any faith into the prediction, which I'm sure many new users do, I'd have reduced calories WAY beyond what was necessary.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like it because it keeps me hopeful, but I also am aware that in most instances it's not accurate.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I like it for a quick cheap boost of motivation occasionally, but mostly I don't pay attention to it. I can tell you that for a medium height, obese woman like myself (about 5'5", about 220#) it underestimates weight loss. Don't know how it is for slimmer folk.
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I also read the post of someone who ate the same thing for 5 weeks to test the theory and they said it didn't work for them. Personally, I know that I'm not going to eat exactly the same and do the same amount of exercise exactly the same every day for 5 weeks. It's nice to see the message, but I don't ever note it or take it as a concrete prediction. As long as I am losing at a steady pace, I'm satisfied.