what am i doing wrong?!?!

Options
tiffanymarmon
tiffanymarmon Posts: 4
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been doing this for about 2 weeks..(to maintain my current weight i would need to consume close to 3000 calories/day)...my calorie intake is 1580/day and I have been staying under that by about 200-300 calories..last week I burned 1400 calories and this week I've burned a little over 2000..how is it physically possible that I've gained 2 pounds?!! I've done this before and within my first week lose at least 2-4 pounds..what am I doing wrong?? I've been doing cardio and strength training..I just logically can't wrap my head around why I gained weight. Any help?? Please!!!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Firstly, two weeks isn't long enough to determine if you're doing anything wrong. Fluctuations will happen, you won't lose every week - some you'll stay the same, some you'll gain. This could be appear to be the case even more if you only weigh once a week as you could weigh on a day you're fluctuating, and wouldn't know you were actually 2lbs lighter the day before and the day after.

That said, do you weigh everything you eat? You should be trying to hit your goal every day rather than being too much under it. Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Did you just start the cardio and strength training? Any time you start a new exercise plan, your muscles retain water for a short period of time (2-4 weeks, ballpark).

Additionally, nobody has a static weight. Everyone fluctuates across anywhere from 2-10 pounds, but you don't tend to realize it because most people don't weigh themselves regularly until they start trying to lose weight.

Be patient, keep doing what you're doing, make sure you are logging as accurately as possible and choosing accurate entries from the MFP database, and give it another 2-4 weeks.
  • tiffanymarmon
    Options
    I weigh all my foods and I just started the strength training this week..and I use a heart rate monitor for my calories burned..and I usually get on the scale every morning in hopes of it moving..but so far its only gone up
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,718 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but yes, it's way too early to see results yet. Stick with what you're doing. Accurately track your food and keep active. Be patient and give it more time.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just started the strength training this week
    There's your answer :) Give it at least another two weeks.
  • wd61dp
    wd61dp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Stick with the exercise. Your metabolism will begin to improve as time goes on. Increasing your metabolism will result in increased burning of calories. Don't deprive yourself of a total net calories of 1580 a day. (calories intake - exercise calories). If you deprive your body of nutrition your body will store fat to survive and you also are more susceptible to injuries. Look for changes in your body more so than weight. Muscle weighs more, but you will feel a lot better and look a lot better. DONT STOP!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Did you just start the cardio and strength training? Any time you start a new exercise plan, your muscles retain water for a short period of time (2-4 weeks, ballpark).

^ Truth.

Also, don't use the calorie burn from a heart rate monitor for strength training.