Walking as one of the keys to losing weight

Options

Replies

• caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For those of you looking for entertainment while walking, I highly recommend podcasts. I download mine while at home using WIFI so I'm not using up data plan while listening while out on my walks. The podcast aggregator I use is Podcast Addict.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I started the same way, I would eat lunch at my desk then walk for an hour. Now I still eat lunch at my desk, but go to the gym for an hour. Well done OP!!!
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love walking. I used to listen to music while I walked but I prefer to walk and think about...stuff.

Try the app MapMyWalk to keep track of your routes, times, etc. I found out I walk at 4 mph. Pretty brisk.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is your walking speed while you are reading?
    Cheers, h.

2.5 to 3 mph. Keep in mind that I'm walking where I don't have to dodge people, bikes and cars. I know my routes and I do also check my bearings from time to time. With an e-reader, it's pretty easy to keep track of your surroundings. I don't recommend it with a book.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    All I do or have done pretty much since July 2013 when I got my first tracker (Flex) is walk. Started it to push my loss to/past the 100 lb mark...and never stopped walking. Now I also do C25k Zen app on the treadmill and Hungry Girls house walking (for me it's jogging) to get my steps in. I use both Flex & Vivofit as well as Runkeeper. Just changed up my playlist to try to get/keep the heart rate up (was a lot easier when heavier, lol)
  • goldenrodfarm
    goldenrodfarm Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot but I listen to books on tape or CD, that way I can walk about 4 mph, I mostly get 12-15 K steps in a day, sometimes it is more if I am not on a work day but a farm day it can be up to 22 K in a day
  • qtchick1
    qtchick1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to read this thread. All my life I have been reading about gyms, workout etc. when I finally thought of moving more than usual, easiest option was walking. I work until late evenings, gyms are waste of money no time... Also boring. I walk around 7-10km/day depending on my workload. I am so glad I can see results. I believe it's most under rated exercise. At least for me... I love when I can go any time of the day, fresh air and I can do it whole my life. Already lost 8 kgs and same amount to go more.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I get the same calories for walking 10K steps over the day (including a couple of 40 minute bursts and general meandering) as I do for a 40 minute gym workout
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    if you're using mfp to log calories for walking only do it if you're actually exercising and getting your heart up a little (like a brisk walk). Also the calories burned are way high, if I walk for 30 minutes, I only log 15 because of this reason. (sorry not reading all the posts :P )
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Truthfully you don't even need to exercise to lose weight as long as you are in a calorie deficit. But being physically active has so many other benefits besides assisting in weight loss. Keep on walking and more power to you!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am also a walker, mostly around 2 - 3 miles daily, I just look around me, watch the flowers growing, and this time of year the buds starting to show on the trees as the Spring warmth & day length gets going

I think one reason walking is under rated because there is not much, or any money to be made from it, unlike gym membership, plus of course anyone with legs can do it, needs nothing special, one foot in front of the other & away you go
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Hit a personal best yesterday, over 14,000 steps! TDEE for the day was 1700+

I think and hope that I'm going to see some real results in the next week or so.

I'd like to get my daily average up to around 12,000 steps. It gives me something besides weight to track! If the scale won't budge, I can always walk a little more.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad for this thread. The only exercise I get now is physical therapy, grocery shopping (a bit painful), and whatever I do around the house (also a bit painful). I just bought a basic pedometer as walking is what I am going to add next.

This pace is excruciatingly slow for me. 13 years ago I was slim and in shape. I did strong, powerful workouts and loved to run. Five to ten miles a day. It was wonderful.

It's so hard to do so little when my mind wants to do so much.

• ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Good on ya. I also read and walk. On a treadmill, I can maintain 3.5 miles an hour while reading on a tablet in larger font. Time flies while your brain is busy.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Chimes in to give a thumbs up to walking!
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot but I listen to books on tape or CD, that way I can walk about 4 mph, I mostly get 12-15 K steps in a day, sometimes it is more if I am not on a work day but a farm day it can be up to 22 K in a day
    I love audiobooks. I do a job where I work on the computer and am often able to listen to a book at the same time.
    If you have a library card, you can download audiobooks for free.
    (Also, am impressed with your step count!)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I only started walking again a few weeks ago.. I'm not very fast at it :) But most of the time I'm pushing a 15kg toddler in a pram so it gets the heart rate up a bit. I use mapmyrun and endomondo to track distance and pace, though I use a Polar HRM with a chest strap to monitor calories as I find the apps usually underestimate the amount I burn during exercise by as much as 100 calories, sometimes more! I am aiming to walk at least 30 mins a day, sometimes longer if I can.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    markja wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is your walking speed while you are reading?
    Cheers, h.

2.5 to 3 mph. Keep in mind that I'm walking where I don't have to dodge people, bikes and cars. I know my routes and I do also check my bearings from time to time. With an e-reader, it's pretty easy to keep track of your surroundings. I don't recommend it with a book.

Audiobooks would be a whole lot safer, but I like walking too. I use an MP3 player loaded with fast tunes. Getting your heart rate up is key for cardio fitness. But all movement is a good thing.

Other walking ideas......Walk It Out (Wii fitness game)....Leslie Sansone "walking" DVDs....virtual walking DVDs
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When I initially lost my first 20lbs, all I did was cut out out eating crap and walked more often. It does make a huge difference and helps tone those legs.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    TDEE @ sedentary includes SOME activity from calories burned but not a lot.. so you always have to take this into consideration when logging activity (eg. if you log your calories from doing the dishes you may be 'double counting').

I agree walking is great and I also try to stand where I can. Human beings were meant to be standing and walking around a lot more than we do. If you can walk instead of drive you're improving your health and burning extra calories you wouldn't have otherwise (bonus)!!