Got a mean look at the gym? Gym ettiquette?

Options

Replies

• DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a totally miserable, upside down smile, WTF you looking at face but inside I am very happy. Most people tell me to cheer up all the time so he might be someone similar. Just has that type of face. Don't worry about it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You are overthinking it.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    So, I went to the gym at my local YMCA for the first time earlier (I had just been doing my exercise from home before, but I felt like shaking it up). I get on the little stair stepping thing... I don't know what it's called... I turn on my audiobook, and then I start. About 20 minutes into my workout, this one older dude finished his and then went to go talk to a friend of his. While he walked past, he just shot me a really mean look. Are there some gym etiquette rules that I was unknowingly breaking? Or is he either just not very nice or I am I making something out of nothing?

Probably a combination of him having resting *kitten* face (I am a sufferer) and there just not being a whole load of places you can look at the gym.

Also, are you perhaps a bit self conscious? I know when I started at the gym I thought people were looking at me funny but I was just projecting my own insecurities.

Now I really don't care though In fact I think the opposite. I figure if I don't feel I look at least a bit ridiculous, I'm probably not working hard enough.
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This happened to me. There was a sign up sheet and I took someone else's slot. I didn't know about the sheet. No signs.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    minipony wrote: »
    Hope this isn't too inappropriate, but maybe he had "Bitchy Resting Face Syndrome." This video explains the condition.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v98CPXNiSk
    That made me chuckle. Now back to my resting a**hole face.

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    DavPul wrote: »
    is it only at the gym where people spend so much time trying to analyze the thoughts of random strangers or do people do the same thing at like, Subway too?

You mean the sandwich store or the public transit? I give people lots of nasty looks on the subway. I hope they know exactly what I'm thinking.

HA. I hope people know exactly what I'm thinking on the subway too, but it never seems to work.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Was the guy who gave you the dirty look Inigo Montoya? And had you killed his father? If so, that would explain it, but otherwise I got nothing.

I love Inigo Montoya! His costume (yes, the real one they used in the film) is exposed at the Seattle museum. I saw it B)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Next time you go to the gym, pick out the biggest meanest looking dude. Beat him down, in front of everyone.

You win that first fight correct, there won't be any others. Law of the jungle.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Next time you go to the gym, pick out the biggest meanest looking dude. Beat him down, in front of everyone.

You are confusing this with a FPMITA Prison...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

THIS..

OR

next time he does that get in his face and just scream "WHAT!!??" and keep staring him down until he walks off....
  • evarga12
    evarga12 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It could just be how his face looks like, maybe he is having a bad day or maybe you were making a face that you didn't realize you were doing. Don't sweat it.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I was wearing headphones, and yes, I wore deodorant. Maybe sound was bleeding out of the headphones or something?

Were you wearing perfume? Anyone wearing a strong scent in the gym deserves dirty looks all day long (not to say you were, just in general)

• DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I was wearing headphones, and yes, I wore deodorant. Maybe sound was bleeding out of the headphones or something?

Were you wearing perfume? Anyone wearing a strong scent in the gym deserves dirty looks all day long (not to say you were, just in general)

I put it on that morning, before school, but this was about 6:30 at night, so I imagine that you wouldn't smell it anymore.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say he either (a) has bitchy rest face syndrome or (b) has never seen someone with pink hair. Assuming you still have pink hair. Seriously doubt you were doing anything wrong on a stair master. Either way, don't let it bother you.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Perhaps what you presumed was a mean look was just his post workout face.

My thoughts as well....Maybe he was just really tired. Or the pink hair could have thrown him off?
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Maybe he just needed to fart
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Once there was a really mean faced girl staring at me the entire time I was on the treadmill. Like she wanted to kill me.

Then I realized it was the mirror across the gym.

(I'm only half-joking.)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Were you slinging sweat?
    Were you arguing with the book author (yes, I’ve done that, and cursed during)?
    Were on his elliptical (I named mine Martha)?
    Were you working harder than him?

Since the answer to all of this is likely no (except for maybe the last one, and he wouldn’t care), your are probably overthinking this.

Thank you Allan, for my laugh for the day... was it Martha as in Martha Stewart = perfectionist?? lol