YMCA vs Planet Fitness

Options
I've got both a YMCA and a Planet a Fitness near me. Debating which one to join. Both have equipment that I don't have at home. Any advice?

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    In my experience, YMCA will likely give you access to more than just gym equipment. A few questions to find answers to - Do either have a pool/ offer water exercise classes? Are all classes included in the cost of the membership to either? Do either provide you with professional personal trainers (not 18 year old's that were high school sport phenoms but that have actual credentials and references).

However, if you want to get truly fit, you should be lifting heavy and neither of these places will likely offer a good variety of heavy weight options. Put a note up on your Facebook account asking your friends where they go or where they would recommend. Sometimes spending a little more is worth every penny.
  • redoakcircus
    Options
    Most gyms will give you a free trial week. Try them both, and then go with the one you like the most.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    Had both - LOVE YMCA - more stuff happening there.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Most gyms will give you a free trial week. Try them both, and then go with the one you like the most.

^^^This. Without knowing your goals, we really can't answer this. Are you just interested in just cardio? Looking to strength train, build muscle? Though PF, $10/month and open 24/7. I recently just joined a gym after working out at home for 3 years, it's strictly strength training and strongman. A little further than PF and a little more expensive, but it meets my needs much better than PF or the Y
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is typical...but my YMCA usually draws a big senior citizen crowd. I actually like this. Hahah but really, I have tried other big gyms like world gym and goodlife and just preferred YMCA. there are lots of classes happening and lane swim is available often
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

If you think your going to want to get into strength training, you’ll probably find the YMCA more to your liking. Also, the YMCA often has a lot of other attractions that I enjoy (basketball, volleyball, tennis, outdoor track, pool, etc.).

Planet Fitness comes off as a little more than a marketing ploy to provide basic equipment and try to make the newbie feel comfortable. Improvements in fitness require progression, which by definition requires you to push past comfortable. They’ve found their niche, but I bet if you surveyed members after one year, you’d find only a fraction of them saw any significant health improvements. You could be in that fraction if you find the equipment they have meets your goal and at $10 a month, its hard to argue with.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Here in southern MN the Y has a nice indoor track.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I don't have a PF near me, but out of all the gyms around YMCA was the best choice for my life.

- Indoor Pool
    - Sauna
    - Classes Included with membership
    - Weight Room has squat rack and power cage and a nice variety of weights
    - 2 hr daycare/nursery with family membership
    - indoor track
    - basketball and I'm sure other sports
    - they always seem to have some sort of activity going on
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The YMCA by me has a full on outdoor obstacle course --walls, stairs, rope-climbs, fences, logs... --you mud-runners would love it.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I've only heard good things about Planet Fitness.......just kidding! :p
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of both and the only advantage the YMCA had was it had a pool. YMCA costs a lot more and hours were a lot less when I was available, so it wasn't that hard of a decision for me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Rura Penthe would be preferable to Planet Fitness...
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    All things equal, I would choose the Y
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I go to the Y. It has alot of classes. My Y has 2 pools, one for laps, one for aqua classes. Plus it's family friendly. I get a free hour of babysitting. Saves my sanity.

Also, all of the people I've met at the Y have all been really nice.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    YMCAs are different, with different facilities, different types of clientele depending where you go. Have not hear much good about PF except it's cheap.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Depends on your goals. Try getting a free guest pass for both the properties. Gyms will usually give for a day or 2. Go at the time you would usually want to go and get the feel of how easily the equipment are available or classes are?

Do you like to attend classes like Zumba, Spin ...? Then Y is your best bet.

If that ^ doesn't matter to you and if you are using only for machines but for cardio have other ways - then PF would be your route.

But try them with a guest pass.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've been to both places, each one longer than 2 years. Yes, the YMCA has classes, Planet Fitness doesn't. Some YMCA's have heated pools. I much prefer Planet Fitness. I got tired of all the problems with the people in the classes at the YMCA-one thing after another. The YMCA of course offers aqua aerobics classes. But, the guy that runs it here is a life guard with a nice personality and I'm not going to a gym to be impresses with some guy's personality. I'm there to get something out of it. I'm get a lot out of Planet Fitness. There is room there, without people being practically on top of you and pushing you over. No one judges you at Planet Fitness. I love the massage chairs and the hydro-massage beds at Planet Fitness. At the YMCA, if you want any massage type stuff, you have to pay a whole lot for someone to rub lotion on you. Also, at the YMCA, they are all the time hitting you up for money.... give to this, give to that,... give back to the Y. It's all about the money.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I vote ymca without a doubt! Love my family ymca!
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    YMCA - The one I go to has something for everyone. No matter what your goals or what you like to do, it has it. It has lots of fun classes, cardio equipment, weight machines, a big free weights area with lots of weights, 2 pools, child care. It is more expensive, but worth every penny for me & my family.
  • chunt87
    chunt87 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I vote Y, and that's because I think PF really depends on your area, but so does the YMCA.

Every time I would go to PF it would be so packed in the weights area, and the cardio area would be packed too.

YMCA here where I am has tons of classes that are fun, and lots of open space and equipment to use and childcare--I dont have kids but for those who do thats huge. I also have made more fitness minded friends at my local YMCA, and they have racquetball and other things like a pool and sauna. I really really like it.

I would say to try both places and see what you like better.