Why do so many people hide their food Diary?

Options

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    I think that some people are more accurate knowing that others can't judge their choices. They can admit to themselves that they had mostly cake that day, but they don't want others knowing they ate 1000 calories worth of cake.

This is why I keep mine hidden ;)

That's what is important! Just logging and admitting to yourself. Now you have the numbers and trends and can see what is going on. Nobody else needs to know. Sometimes we eat 1000 calories worth of cake. It's far from the end of the world and it's not a failure. Getting healthy, losing weight and improving our fitness isn't going to be a perfect process and that's okay. Progress, not perfection.

Love this.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I used to have an eating disorder and it makes me paranoid to think of too many people looking and maybe judging what I eat

But I have a password on mine and give the password to some of my really close friends on here :) so then I know who can look at it
  • aygullum
    aygullum Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I believe the reason why so many people are hiding their food diary because its their personal tools and they do not feel comfortable yet to share ... eventually with success it will horizon. It needs a burst of energy to get on board :)
  • kikikiki11
    Options
    Some people hide it because that's what they want to do just like some people make it visible to the public because that's what what they want to do..... it's called a personal choice and if someone wants to hide it then that's their choice and shouldn't bother you...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mine's private because I got tired of all the unsolicited advice I was receiving. I have numerous dietary restrictions for health reasons as well as religious reasons. I don't eat bacon for religious reasons, so I didn't care for the messages telling me to add bacon to my breakfast, and I don't eat grains for health reasons, so I didn't care for the messages from people telling me that "gluten-free is just a fad." I also have numerous allergies. I don't need messages telling me that I should be consuming milk instead of almond milk (I have a severe dairy allergy, so I don't think that would be a good idea...) or numerous messages from people telling me that I'm eating too much sodium (I have low blood pressure and am on a high sodium diet as per my doctor). I also don't need people telling me that I need to eat 2,000 calories a day since I'm only 4'11. Plus, if I want to have cake for breakfast, I'm going to do, and I don't care for the messages that will follow. Basically, my diary is private because it's none of your damn business. :wink:
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    Plus, if I want to have cake for breakfast, I'm going to do, and I don't care for the messages that will follow. Basically, my diary is private because it's none of your damn business. :wink:

"Dad is great! Give us the chocolate cake ..." (lol... old Cosby stand-up reference about chocolate cake for bfast - an excellent and delicious idea, imho)
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    PaulLester wrote: »
    Now i don't want to moan about things. I don't have many friends on here and most of the friends that i do have don't share their food diary.
    I believe that being able to look at someones diary and see what they eat would help many with ideas of what is working and what is not.

I personally am on a low carb diet and if anybody on a low fat diet saw what i was eating they would throw a fit. This is however working for me i have lost 10 plus lbs in the first couple of weeks and am still losing.
    I am happy for people to look at what i eat. I am just amazed at the amount of secrecy others show.
    If anybody wants a look at what i am eating and questions how i eat what i do and lose weight, its because my body is burning fat not sugar.

My diary is public take a look if you want.

Mine is open to my friends. I like that almost all my friends have open diaries-this way I can try to get ideas on food choices. Especially from those who do so well with consistent weight loss. Once in awhile I get quite a chuckle from the sincere honesty too; one friend's diary one day consisted of one entire box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. Nothing else. :)

But I can see how some people like to keep their food choices private. I've yet to get comments or private messages about my food-with the exception of a couple people asking for a recipe of something I posted.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Because it's nobody's business but my own what I eat.

Though, mine is set to friends only.

• crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends list with full disclosure when people add me that 1) I'm in recovery for disordered eating and 2) occasionally drink quite a bit. I used to be triggered by seeing someone's diary with low numbers in it, and I don't want to inadvertently trigger someone if they see one of my bad days or that I drank a whole bottle of wine. It also lets me focus on me. And half the time I don't log - I'm at a place where I don't really need to - so what's the point of it being open for random strangers to browse through? If people want to have a conversation with me about my eating habits and how I've been successful, they can ask.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Because everyone is different. *shrug*

This^

Many people use this site to be accountable....to themselves. This is a big step forward for many people. Being accountable to the whole world is a different thing altogether.
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    :
    natboosh69 wrote: »
    I think that some people are more accurate knowing that others can't judge their choices. They can admit to themselves that they had mostly cake that day, but they don't want others knowing they ate 1000 calories worth of cake.

This is why I keep mine hidden ;)

That's what is important! Just logging and admitting to yourself. Now you have the numbers and trends and can see what is going on. Nobody else needs to know. Sometimes we eat 1000 calories worth of cake. It's far from the end of the world and it's not a failure. Getting healthy, losing weight and improving our fitness isn't going to be a perfect process and that's okay. Progress, not perfection.

❤ Perfect answer!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Mine is open but I don't log what I eat most of the time. I just use it when I want to be more intentional about my weight. Generally my weight is pretty good and I have enough good habits to get by without logging anything.
  • ShanitaMarie85
    ShanitaMarie85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't knows by people hide there diary. I want people to see what I'm eating (accountability) I enjoy looking at others diaries to get ideas. I like when people give me tips on what to eat etc. I'm open to suggestions. Feel free to add me! I always add users who have open diaries and eat the same amount of calories I eat (1600)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    some of us are not as focused as we once were be it life stress or whatever, and dont think its fair to have day after day of unfilled out dairies to show
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    izalac wrote: »
    The default setting is private, and I guess a lot of people just don't bother digging into settings and changing that.

Mine is open for my friends.

And.... Voila.
    Mine's not always readable, it's a language thing.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    About a week after I started on My Fitness Pal, I got a notification that I had a message. Someone had looked at what I had been eating on my FIRST week starting here where I was just trying to get a hang of tracking, and they judged me for it. They wrote me a four paragraph essay about how I needed to "cut the crap" out of my diet and how I needed to basically stop eating so much sodium and processed foods.

If I had been feeling bummed, or if I had let her words get to me, I might have said screw it and given up at that point. I still keep my diary open, but that's because I'm going to eat what I want to, and I don't give a darn what anyone else thinks of my food. I can understand, however, how someone who isn't so good at taking criticism might react HORRIBLY to this, and that's the kind of person who needs to keep their journal to themselves.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Why would I share what I eat with a bunch of total strangers on the internet? :o
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    SHAME!!!1

idgaf, i've eaten nothing but pizza for 5 days. come at me.
    I am the same way. I have a cheat day once a week. At least 2 of those I ate over my calories in Parmesan butter pasta! I logged it and was damn proud that I only went over my calories by 110. I have never gotten unsolicited advice and I dont know why someone would jusg message someone who didnt ask for it. I log everything and it isnt always pretty but, I take full responsibility for that. Though I do understand some ppl just cant handle having all that out there.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not fussed about the rest of mfp and my boring little diary I find it helpful and preferable if people on your friends list have an open diary as I tend to interact with them or why are they on your list?

I occasionally look at my friends diaries if I havent heard from them as you cna get useful information as to whether they are logging etc. If they are going fine then im less fussed, but its invaluable when you are trying to give advice as you know whats going on. Other than that they are a bit zzzz and no one has the time to keep looking.

The idea of friends and the way it works on MFP is full of confusion misunderstandings and peoples differing perceptions about how it works. The news feeds or clicking like isnt sufficient if one of your friends has gone awol.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I don't need advice on my food diary. If I wanted advice or felt I needed it, I would open it up.

I also am much more honest with my logging with it closed. I don't know why, I don't really care, it works for me.

Personally, I am more interested in the fitness side of things. I prefer to see my FL's posts on their workouts rather than what they ate for dinner. Unless we are in a thread discussing food, preferably with pics. I love to talk food. Looking at log entries of food just doesn't interest me.