Experiencing Anorexia as Symptom from New Meds...

Options
Long story short, I get migraines and you can blame genetics for that. I just recently (like yesterday), received topamax which is a Prophylaxis, and looked it up in my mom's nurse medicine reference dictionary. [fun fact; mom, Großmutter and nana (urgroßmutter) deceased were all nurses and all have migraines]

This morning I woke up tired from not sleeping, (slept 5 hours earlier) and I'm not hungry, though I'll eat a little, and the thought of food makes me sick. Not carsick, but "Rollercoaster 1 looks too intense for me" sick. (Rollercoaster Tycoon, anyone ?)

Any advice ?

Replies

• Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    How long have you been taking it? If you can tolerate the Topamax, give it a week. Your appetite should come back.
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    If this is only day 1 then I would wait a couple of days before bringing it up to your Dr. Maybe they can suggest something else for you that doesn't have those awful side effects. Feel better.
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not having an appetite is totally different from anorexia. Anorexia is a serious mental disorder. It's so much more than not wanting to eat.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You do not have anorexia. You have a diminished appetite. Not even close to the same thing.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    SarenaWM wrote: »
    Not having an appetite is totally different from anorexia. Anorexia is a serious mental disorder. It's so much more than not wanting to eat.

Anorexia is a medical symptom-- loss of appetite. Anorexia nervosa is a disease.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I'd give the Topamax a couple of weeks before you worry. At that point if it's not any better call your doctor.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    SarenaWM wrote: »

Exactly this. People suffering from anorexia usually DO want to eat. They constantly obsess over food, how much is too much, their calories, body image, being thin, feeling "in control" and "perfect". Is your medication making you do or feel any of that?

No? Then it's not anorexia.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_(symptom)

I have anorexia written in my medical record right now even though I've never had an eating disorder. It's the medical term for loss of appetite.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorexia_(symptom)

I have anorexia written in my medical record right now even though I've never had an eating disorder. It's the medical term for loss of appetite.

This is true. I work in the medical field and we use anorexia as the term for decreased appetite due to any variety of reasons. Anorexia Nervosa would be noted if the patient had the eating disorder.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I hope Topamax helps with migraine prevention. :)
    It is possible that you are experiencing initial side effects and that in a few days to a week you will feel like eating.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I hope Topamax helps with migraine prevention. :)
    It is possible that you are experiencing initial side effects and that in a few days to a week you will feel like eating.

Thank you ! I read something about the first month to month and a half to be h311 with side effects, but I know everyone's different :)

There IS a complete and total difference between Anorexia, and Anorexia Nervosa.