Options
2»

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why would you do paleo if you don't like meat?

Makes no sense

Nuts, seeds, eggs, fish, etc. I should have said red meat. I do like chicken. And can tolerate ground turkey on special occasions. Sorry, maybe I needed to say, red meat. I got tired of eating chicken all the time.

And I would do paleo again because I loved the way I felt. Cutting out all other crap made me feel good. Yeah, I ate way too many nuts and ghee, and that's why I gained. But overall, my energy level soared.

If that's the case, then why bother with a title? Just eat what makes you feel good and don't call it anything...

This. Why give it a name? Just eat the foods you like and don't eat stuff that makes you feel bad.

Is lactose a sugar? Will that technically be a sugar? I don't care if it's sugar for paleo purposes. I care if it's sugar while trying to break a sugar addiction. Sugar makes me crave sugar.

(Lots of "sugar" in that paragraph. Lol See, already has me craving sugar ) ;)

Lactose is a sugar.

Technically, dairy is not Paleo. It is unlikely that pre-agriculture (and agriculture borders just at the tail end of Paleolithic/into the beginning of Neolithic, as I understand things), people were somehow milking wild animals without getting kicked into either stupor or death and then re-releasing them. That's kind of splitting hairs but most people who "do Paleo" don't do dairy, or do it with the caveat that they're doing "Lacto-Paleo".

RE: "trying Paleo" - I did it for a brief time to see whether it would help with my Hashi's (thyroiditis) symptoms. It didn't seem to do much and I eventually dropped it. You will find in the Paleo world (so to speak) that people use different definitions, citing all sorts of far-reaching studies to prove that nomadic clans were somehow milking wild animals before the dawn of agriculture and so on. ;) Next you'll come across the people who say that although milk is technically (probably) not Paleo, eight thousand years of ingesting animal milk past the age of (human) weaning means that bodies may have begun to adapt to non-human milk as (human) adults and that if you're symptom-free, go ahead with it. (And then of course you'll hear from the people pointing out that only some adaptations can happen in such a comparatively - at least from an evolutionary standpoint - time.) You'll find yet others who realize certain foods technically were very unlikely to have been eaten during the Paleolithic (and some that didn't actually exist yet, at least as modified over the centuries to what they currently are in size, nutritional profile and so on) but are choosing to eat them anyway and still call their eating Paleo.

Don't worry - the Paleo-eating world argues amongst themselves as much as people on here do. ;)

I don't mind someone rolling all this up under the term "Paleo" - I'm assuming "Should I Give Eating Nuts, Certain Fruits, Certain Seeds and Poultry But Not Read Meat a Try, With the Possibility of Milk Products But Am Not Sure Yet?" was going to be a bit too long a subject line. Cut the dude some slack, he was just trying to give a general jumping-off point for people to be able to see quickly and decide whether or not to answer (or I'm assuming - I'm not the OP, and he's free to correct me on that).

By the way, anyone feel free to correct me on any of the specifics above, as I am not anthropologist nor scientist of any description, but my basic point is that there IS no one definition of "Paleo eating" even among the die-hard Paleo community, so OP, if you want to go by it via your definition, go for it and see how you feel. I personally don't do as well with "eating style labels" but I'm of the mind that whatever works for a person - go for it.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Bacon is not paleo. There is no meaningful definition of paleo that allows for bacon - if bacon is allowed then *everything* is paleo.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

Nuts, seeds, eggs, fish, etc. I should have said red meat. I do like chicken. And can tolerate ground turkey on special occasions. Sorry, maybe I needed to say, red meat. I got tired of eating chicken all the time.

And I would do paleo again because I loved the way I felt. Cutting out all other crap made me feel good. Yeah, I ate way too many nuts and ghee, and that's why I gained. But overall, my energy level soared.

If that's the case, then why bother with a title? Just eat what makes you feel good and don't call it anything...
    I like this. Good point and it hit a major point with myself. I think I will take this advice.

OP....this!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Paleo is just a fad diet. It's more or less like Atkins. It has nothing whatsoever to do with how our ancestors actually ate: rawstory.com/rs/2015/02/the-paleo-diet-is-pseudoscience-this-is-what-ancestral-menu-really-looked-like/. And even if it did, why would you want to eat like cavemen who had an average lifespan of 30 years, anyway?

Eat what you like, and don't feel the need to label it.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Bacon is not paleo. There is no meaningful definition of paleo that allows for bacon - if bacon is allowed then *everything* is paleo.

Paleo man didn't preserve meats using salt and smoking so on?

I'm not being a wise**kitten*, I am actually asking as I don't know.

Or are you referring to the addition of certain chemicals in some bacons?

• Mr_Knight
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Both. Most meat eaten during the paleo era would have been borderline carrion, the rest freshly hunted. Cured meats are an artifact of settled - ie, post ag - societies.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

You didn't read about all those caves that Neanderthals used to store bacon ...??? *sarcasm*

someone can correct me if I am wrong but "salting" did not become popular until Greek/Roman times....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If you enjoyed the paleo lifestyle the first time around and felt good, then go for it. You must weigh your food though. I did paleo a while back (couldn't stick with it, too restrictive) but like you, I gained weight because many of the paleo books and blogs discourage calorie counting and food weighing. As a result, I thought I could eat as much healthy fats etc. as I wanted. Wrong! For some people it might work like that. Anyway, weigh your food if you do it again, or calorie count. You need to be accountable for what you eat in some form.

I was so stupid when I did it. I did everything with nuts. They are pretty versatile. But I should have known better than to trust "them" that say calories don't matter. Its the processed junk that matters. Its quite the opposite really. I May do it again just because I liked the energy it gave me. I hope to go a little bit longer this time.

I did the everything with nut flour thing for a long time too! OP, feel free to look in my diary. I'm a vegetarian who gets lots of her protein from Greek yogurt and cottage cheese. I primarily became a vegetarian because I don't like meat all that much and it was giving me digestive issues.

I'm going to tell you the path I've followed, because a lot of what you're saying sounds so familiar to me. You're reminding me of myself. I haven't looked at your profile, but I'm going to guess I'm quite a bit older than you. I tried all sorts of diets throughout my life. I did paleo, way back in the day. I felt great on it. I did Atkins. I did Sugar Busters. I did raw vegan. I thought the key to everything was avoiding a whole bunch of foods that were controlling me.

I had some emotional issues clouding the way that had to be dealt with, and I did deal with them, but over time I had developed bad behaviors with overeating, eating too fast and things like that. I also had disordered thinking about food. It took me a long time to sort through all of that.

I gradually started adding things back to my diet that I really loved and taking away stuff that I really didn't. I asked myself... what nourishes my body most? What nourishes my soul most? Anything that didn't make the cut, I just didn't bother to eat any more.

The last step was to stop eating so much. MFP helped with that.

The tl;dr to all of this? Fashion an eating plan around the most body and soul nourishing foods that you love best. That will be the plan you're most likely to stick with.
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Both. Most meat eaten during the paleo era would have been borderline carrion, the rest freshly hunted. Cured meats are an artifact of settled - ie, post ag - societies.

Oh, I see, thank you.

I love learning new things and have a fascination with history, prehistory and cultures. Not that that matters to this thread. :)

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

You didn't read about all those caves that Neanderthals used to store bacon ...??? *sarcasm*

someone can correct me if I am wrong but "salting" did not become popular until Greek/Roman times....

It's pretty accurate. Salt wasn't a commodity very many people had until societies started trading for it.

http://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780195337709.001.0001/acref-9780195337709-e-3441
  • lioness2307
    lioness2307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My question is for anyone on paleo. I am not a HUGE fan of meat. Its hard to get my protein in when on paleo. Is there anyone that still eats cottage cheese and Greek yogurt while on Paleo?

I gained three pounds doing it last time. For me, I was dumb and thought that counting calories didn't matter because I was a Cave woman. Yeah. I'm not a cave woman.

Anyone successful on this way of eating?

Hi there,
    I am a gluten-free pescatarian ;) so while not strictly paleo, I do follow a low-carb, clean eating plan which includes yoghurt, cottage cheese, quark/fromage frais, Kefir, tofu, eggs, but not milk.

My carb intake per day can be anything between 70 to 150 grams - though on most days, I hit the 100g mark which I feel is a good place to be at for my body to be healthy and highly functioning.

So, yes, I have lost about 7 kg over the last 9 months while eating dairy. This being said, I did log my calories religiously everyday, but did not starve myself: I ate roughly 1900 calories per day and maintained an active lifestyle (I am 5'5'').

Also, I am not a big Greek joghurt fan and think this is a product that is constantly being overhyped.
    Over here in Germany, most joghurts are already full-fat (3,8%) so quite satisfying - I find that the "Greek-style" does not really contain that much protein, but is heavy in fats and calories. They often add cream or other things to tamper with it, and I like a clean, natural product.
    I am a big fan of Quark, which contains much more protein than greek-style joghurt, but is lower in fat and overall calories.

• ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

This. Why give it a name? Just eat the foods you like and don't eat stuff that makes you feel bad.

Is lactose a sugar? Will that technically be a sugar? I don't care if it's sugar for paleo purposes. I care if it's sugar while trying to break a sugar addiction. Sugar makes me crave sugar.

Lactose is a sugar.

Technically, dairy is not Paleo. It is unlikely that pre-agriculture (and agriculture borders just at the tail end of Paleolithic/into the beginning of Neolithic, as I understand things), people were somehow milking wild animals without getting kicked into either stupor or death and then re-releasing them. That's kind of splitting hairs but most people who "do Paleo" don't do dairy, or do it with the caveat that they're doing "Lacto-Paleo".

RE: "trying Paleo" - I did it for a brief time to see whether it would help with my Hashi's (thyroiditis) symptoms. It didn't seem to do much and I eventually dropped it. You will find in the Paleo world (so to speak) that people use different definitions, citing all sorts of far-reaching studies to prove that nomadic clans were somehow milking wild animals before the dawn of agriculture and so on. ;) Next you'll come across the people who say that although milk is technically (probably) not Paleo, eight thousand years of ingesting animal milk past the age of (human) weaning means that bodies may have begun to adapt to non-human milk as (human) adults and that if you're symptom-free, go ahead with it. (And then of course you'll hear from the people pointing out that only some adaptations can happen in such a comparatively - at least from an evolutionary standpoint - time.) You'll find yet others who realize certain foods technically were very unlikely to have been eaten during the Paleolithic (and some that didn't actually exist yet, at least as modified over the centuries to what they currently are in size, nutritional profile and so on) but are choosing to eat them anyway and still call their eating Paleo.

Don't worry - the Paleo-eating world argues amongst themselves as much as people on here do. ;)

I don't mind someone rolling all this up under the term "Paleo" - I'm assuming "Should I Give Eating Nuts, Certain Fruits, Certain Seeds and Poultry But Not Read Meat a Try, With the Possibility of Milk Products But Am Not Sure Yet?" was going to be a bit too long a subject line. Cut the dude some slack, he was just trying to give a general jumping-off point for people to be able to see quickly and decide whether or not to answer (or I'm assuming - I'm not the OP, and he's free to correct me on that).

By the way, anyone feel free to correct me on any of the specifics above, as I am not anthropologist nor scientist of any description, but my basic point is that there IS no one definition of "Paleo eating" even among the die-hard Paleo community, so OP, if you want to go by it via your definition, go for it and see how you feel. I personally don't do as well with "eating style labels" but I'm of the mind that whatever works for a person - go for it.

Thank you everyone for replying so kindly. But especially you LA woman. I am actually a female. LOL and ironically enough, I have Hashimotos too. I did it for my thyroid. I didn't stick with it long enough to see if it would help lessen my Synthroid. I was sad to see a +3 and gave up immediately. Now, In going into It knowing I can't abandon all calorie counting like the foods are "free" so to speak. I, unlike you, felt great on it. Don't know why. Maybe it WAS doing something for me. and thanks for sticking up for me ;) Sometimes I think people avoid posting on here because some people attack almost instantly.

But thank you to everyone who gave constructive criticism. For everyone else, please know that I'm new to all this. I want the help. I wouldn't be 300 pounds if I didn't need the help. I appreciate this site more than anyone will ever know.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! :drinker:

You'll need to find a food profile that works for you, keeping in mind that creating a caloric deficit is absolutely required for weight loss, no matter what foods you choose to eat. In the end, you're the one who has to push the plate away or put the fork down, so find what works for you.

:smile:
  • ilovemyhubby2011
    ilovemyhubby2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

Lactose is a sugar.

i know they arent cavemen or anything, but, tibetan nomads milk wild yaks... they follow the herds on the grasslands... they have kind of domesticated them to a point now, as much as you can domesticate a wild yak, and im not sure how far back the tradition dates..im sure they do get the stuff kicked out of them still..the nomads are pretty much badasses though.. We lived in a part of china that used to be Tibet and had quite a few friends who had family still on the grasslands... yak butter is delicious...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Most humans have genetically adapted to lactose a long time ago. It only takes a couple of thousand years for a beneficial mutation to spread widely through a population - evolution works a lot faster than many people seem to realize.

And yes - lactose tolerant is an extremely beneficial adaption. :smile:
  • LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Most humans have genetically adapted to lactose a long time ago. It only takes a couple of thousand years for a beneficial mutation to spread widely through a population - evolution works a lot faster than many people seem to realize.

And yes - lactose tolerant is an extremely beneficial adaption. :smile:

Yup, covered that in my post. :) It's a "hot topic" among the Paleo community, or at least it was during the time I was there. "But many adults are lactose tolerant today." "But it's not Paleo..." "But the whole idea behind Paleo is foods the body can naturally tolerate, so if we've adapted for lactose tolerance..." "But look at how many people are lactose INtolerant." Lather, rinse, repeat.

But of course, if the idea is that in order to be "eating Paleo," you have to literally eat like Paleolithic man (i.e. the reference to bacon not being "allowable"), as seems to be quite stridently stressed on this thread (not by the OP), lactose tolerance/intolerance (in modern-day adults) is moot.

The OP can do what she wants, though, and I wish her luck! We all need to find what works best for us and go with that, IMO. Sometimes it's a learning curve and sometimes there's some experimenting...seems to come with the territory.

• LAWoman72
    edited March 2015
    Options

Makes no sense

Lactose is a sugar.

i know they arent cavemen or anything, but, tibetan nomads milk wild yaks... they follow the herds on the grasslands... they have kind of domesticated them to a point now, as much as you can domesticate a wild yak, and im not sure how far back the tradition dates..im sure they do get the stuff kicked out of them still..the nomads are pretty much badasses though.. We lived in a part of china that used to be Tibet and had quite a few friends who had family still on the grasslands... yak butter is delicious...

Interesting.

But again, if we're not talking a Paleo eating habits/foods, well...

ETA: And thank you for the info. Don't know why I forgot to say that...my manners are lacking today!

• ilovemyhubby2011
    ilovemyhubby2011 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

Lactose is a sugar.

Interesting.

But again, if we're not talking a Paleo culture, well...

just adressing the fact that wild animals can and have been wrangled for milking...

Its a definite possibility that it has happened long before.. especially with smaller, less crazy scary animals... goats perhaps... sheep... could be...i dunno... im no anthropologist either... just a yak milk appreciator... ha =)
  • cynthiamm67
    cynthiamm67 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the question of what is or isn't paleo, for the minute:

I also was seriously attached to sugar. I also had what I thought was a lot of weird random food allergies or intolerances. 9 months ago, I eliminated bread, white potatoes and rice from my diet. I've since had to eliminate wheat altogether (I'm still not sure it's gluten or the wheat I have a problem with. I haven't had a weekend to donate to being sick to find out).

I am definitely dairy intolerant. I've been able to add 1 greek nonfat yogurt back in. And surprise, I can now eat lower fat red meat sometimes, which makes life easier. However you call this, I'm happy with what I can eat now and I've lost 55 lbs (with a lot still to go). OP, I hope this is helpful.