Paleo worth a second chance?

Options
Hi everyone. My question is for anyone on paleo. I am not a HUGE fan of meat. Its hard to get my protein in when on paleo. Is there anyone that still eats cottage cheese and Greek yogurt while on Paleo?

I gained three pounds doing it last time. For me, I was dumb and thought that counting calories didn't matter because I was a Cave woman. Yeah. I'm not a cave woman.

Anyone successful on this way of eating?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why would you do paleo if you don't like meat?

Makes no sense
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If there is one thing that I have learned on MFP is that everyone on MFP follows the Paleo lifestyle about 60-80% of the time. This has been shown to be a good enough amount of "Paleo" eating to be able to call oneself a Paleo dieter if you so choose to do so and would like to carry a title with you diet.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Makes no sense

Nuts, seeds, eggs, fish, etc. I should have said red meat. I do like chicken. And can tolerate ground turkey on special occasions. Sorry, maybe I needed to say, red meat. I got tired of eating chicken all the time.

And I would do paleo again because I loved the way I felt. Cutting out all other crap made me feel good. Yeah, I ate way too many nuts and ghee, and that's why I gained. But overall, my energy level soared.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    If there is one thing that I have learned on MFP is that everyone on MFP follows the Paleo lifestyle about 60-80% of the time. This has been shown to be a good enough amount of "Paleo" eating to be able to call oneself a Paleo dieter if you so choose to do so and would like to carry a title with you diet.

Thank you for this. I'm an All or nothing kind of personality. But maybe if I tell myself a Greek yogurt a day, it might not hurt me. Plain though. No sugar. I want to do THAT part for real. I'm tired of being addicted to sugar.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

Nuts, seeds, eggs, fish, etc. I should have said red meat. I do like chicken. And can tolerate ground turkey on special occasions. Sorry, maybe I needed to say, red meat. I got tired of eating chicken all the time.

And I would do paleo again because I loved the way I felt. Cutting out all other crap made me feel good. Yeah, I ate way too many nuts and ghee, and that's why I gained. But overall, my energy level soared.

If that's the case, then why bother with a title? Just eat what makes you feel good and don't call it anything...
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

If that's the case, then why bother with a title? Just eat what makes you feel good and don't call it anything...
    ^ This! You are either eating paleo or you aren't. If you are going to do it any percentage of time < 100, it's not really paleo. Fortunately eating paleo is simply using several arbitrary food restrictions. I am not paleo but probably 60% of what I eat in a day is minimally processed whole foods that would be allowed under paleo. I personally think any diet that involves mass restriction for no reason whatsoever is silly. Why would you do a diet that makes you stress over eating Greek yogurt. What's wrong with Greek yogurt? I get needing to eat gulten free if you have an allergy to gulten but I don't get why'd you'd restrict it if you have no trouble eating it. Skipping rice and bread for the sake of skipping it seems pointless.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Makes no sense

Eat that then :)
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    They said it better than me
  • ditsyblond17
    Options

Makes no sense

I have a weird brain. If I'm doing it, I feel guilty by Not doing It 100%. But I suppose I can take baby steps to feel like I'm not suffering as much. I just want to cut My sugar addiction and I'm afraid adding those in would cause harm since cottage cheese and yogurt have lactose? Idk. Just New to all of this. Only tried it a week last time.
  • weightsnbakes
    weightsnbakes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you enjoyed the paleo lifestyle the first time around and felt good, then go for it. You must weigh your food though. I did paleo a while back (couldn't stick with it, too restrictive) but like you, I gained weight because many of the paleo books and blogs discourage calorie counting and food weighing. As a result, I thought I could eat as much healthy fats etc. as I wanted. Wrong! For some people it might work like that. Anyway, weigh your food if you do it again, or calorie count. You need to be accountable for what you eat in some form.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

This. Why give it a name? Just eat the foods you like and don't eat stuff that makes you feel bad.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

I have a weird brain. If I'm doing it, I feel guilty by Not doing It 100%. But I suppose I can take baby steps to feel like I'm not suffering as much. I just want to cut My sugar addiction and I'm afraid adding those in would cause harm since cottage cheese and yogurt have lactose? Idk. Just New to all of this. Only tried it a week last time.

In that case, I'd suggest you do "ditsyblond17 Paleo" - it's kinda like "Paleo," and you still derive the good feels you had last time you tried something similar, but you can commit to it 100%! Just slow down on the nuts and ghee.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Makes no sense

I think you missed the point. Don't call it anything. Just call it "eating" and you won't have to worry about whether you're doing it 100% of the time or not. Cut out things you want to cut out, but when you want to indulge in something you won't feel guilty. At least, you shouldn't.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat what you want, just eat less of it and make sure that you hit your calorie/macro/micro targets..

paleo is unnecessary for anything and it is NOTHING how paleolithic people ate...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Makes no sense

what is "crap"? Were you literally eating crap?
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    If you enjoyed the paleo lifestyle the first time around and felt good, then go for it. You must weigh your food though. I did paleo a while back (couldn't stick with it, too restrictive) but like you, I gained weight because many of the paleo books and blogs discourage calorie counting and food weighing. As a result, I thought I could eat as much healthy fats etc. as I wanted. Wrong! For some people it might work like that. Anyway, weigh your food if you do it again, or calorie count. You need to be accountable for what you eat in some form.

I was so stupid when I did it. I did everything with nuts. They are pretty versatile. But I should have known better than to trust "them" that say calories don't matter. Its the processed junk that matters. Its quite the opposite really. I May do it again just because I liked the energy it gave me. I hope to go a little bit longer this time.
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as the paleo police (now, watch out for the vegan police...). Have at your yogurt if you want it. :)

I eat mostly paleo right now, I'd say 90%... there are a few things I let slide... peas, corn (in my opinion these are vegetables and they don't bother me, I found after some careful testing), soy (just for soy sauce because I hate salt and haven't found another decent substitute for cooking with) and cheese in very moderate amounts... because I love cheese. Sunday is my 'cheat day', where I eat whatever I want as long as it's gluten free and still in the spirit of the thing. So Sunday is the day I might eat out and have cactus cut potatoes with sour cream dip, or salad with dressing that I didn't make. Dairy doesn't seem to bother me either. The rest of the week, I stick to eating fruit, veggies, meat... lots of bacon, hamburger, steak, fish, so on and so forth... tons of eggs... paleo oils like olive oil and coconut oil (though I'm considering putting butter back on my 'okay' list), and I use coconut milk and avocados for a ton of things. My snacks are nuts, dried fruits, seeds.

So, I'd say go full paleo for a few weeks and then carefully add in just the yogurt, and if you don't get any symptoms from it, have at it! I was strict for around a month before I started gingerly testing things like peas and corn and cheese.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options

Makes no sense

This. Why give it a name? Just eat the foods you like and don't eat stuff that makes you feel bad.

Is lactose a sugar? Will that technically be a sugar? I don't care if it's sugar for paleo purposes. I care if it's sugar while trying to break a sugar addiction. Sugar makes me crave sugar.

(Lots of "sugar" in that paragraph. Lol See, already has me craving sugar ) ;)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Metruis wrote: »
    There's no such thing as the paleo police (now, watch out for the vegan police...). Have at your yogurt if you want it. :)

I eat mostly paleo right now, I'd say 90%... there are a few things I let slide... peas, corn (in my opinion these are vegetables and they don't bother me, I found after some careful testing), soy (just for soy sauce because I hate salt and haven't found another decent substitute for cooking with) and cheese in very moderate amounts... because I love cheese. Sunday is my 'cheat day', where I eat whatever I want as long as it's gluten free and still in the spirit of the thing. So Sunday is the day I might eat out and have cactus cut potatoes with sour cream dip, or salad with dressing that I didn't make. Dairy doesn't seem to bother me either. The rest of the week, I stick to eating fruit, veggies, meat... lots of bacon, hamburger, steak, fish, so on and so forth... tons of eggs... paleo oils like olive oil and coconut oil (though I'm considering putting butter back on my 'okay' list), and I use coconut milk and avocados for a ton of things. My snacks are nuts, dried fruits, seeds.

So, I'd say go full paleo for a few weeks and then carefully add in just the yogurt, and if you don't get any symptoms from it, have at it! I was strict for around a month before I started gingerly testing things like peas and corn and cheese.

then you are not doing paleo ...

for the record paleolithic people did not have bacon, hamburgers, eggs, etc....

do people realize how dumb it is to call this "paleo"...

it should be called "The Uber Restrictive Fad Diet" ...but I guess that does not sell books...
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    Metruis wrote: »

Thank you so much for sharing. That sounds like a safe plan. I like the cheat days, as long as it's all still gluten free. I think I never look forward to cheat days, so I end up using every day as one because I feel deprived. I am going to use Sunday as a cheat day :) Gluten free though. The problem with my view of cheat days, is it's hard to rid my body of sugar addiction because I am including some back in on cheat day. Even in the form of a potato. Ya know? But I do like the concept of cheat day. And although I've heard many people on MFP talk about their cheat day...it never clicked with me. I need a cheat day to avoid a cheat week. Thanks for the advice!