SUPPLEMENTS! (what should I use?)

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    I think people who cannot answer a post with a legit answer should stay away. Certain supplements work for certain people. If they didn't work for you, all it means is that it didn't work for *YOU*. Yes, some are a waste of money but OP asked those who have experience with them. So if you've never even used supplements and you're posting about how they don't work or are a waste of money it's kind of rude and annoying.

Some people need to get off their high horse.

Ok. Here's a legit response for you.

Eat at a deficit. Exercise for fitness. If you are lifting, get enough protein. Drink plenty of water. Get sleep. Rinse, wash and repeat.

A "fat burning" pill is not only bunk (if it really worked, don't you think everyone would be on them?!) but it is also dangerous.

You can't cheat hard work. Period.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I think people who cannot answer a post with a legit answer should stay away. Certain supplements work for certain people. If they didn't work for you, all it means is that it didn't work for *YOU*. Yes, some are a waste of money but OP asked those who have experience with them. So if you've never even used supplements and you're posting about how they don't work or are a waste of money it's kind of rude and annoying.

Eat at a deficit. Exercise for fitness. If you are lifting, get enough protein. Drink plenty of water. Get sleep. Rinse, wash and repeat.

A "fat burning" pill is not only bunk (if it really worked, don't you think everyone would be on them?!) but it also dangerous.

^^ All of this.

If there was a magic pill, everyone would be skinny.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

A "fat burning" pill is not only bunk (if it really worked, don't you think everyone would be on them?!) but it is also dangerous.

PRMinx

I agree with what you said in bold. The point is, he is asking about something else. He is not asking " what do you do to burn fat or lose weight" or " what are some weight loss tips'' etc. I feel that people need to stay on the topic.
  • Azexas
    Options

PRMinx

I agree with what you said in bold. The point is, he is asking about something else. He is not asking " what do you do to burn fat or lose weight" or " what are some weight loss tips'' etc. I feel that people need to stay on the topic.

In the OP he stated "Id like to hear what you have to say about fat burning supplements" We replied to his post with what we had to say about them. I'm not sure where the confusion is?

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

PRMinx

No.

First of all, what Troutsy said.

Second of all, if an OP is asking about something potentially dangerous, people should weigh in with better information. That's how people learn. If this was someone asking how to properly throw up after eating, I would hope that people come in and say "Hey - don't do that because it's bad for you and there are better ways."

Plus, this is a public forum. If you are going to post, you should expect all sorts of replies.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty bad anemia and lost weight much quicker than anticipated. Once I started taking B12, folate, iron and a few other things the weight loss slowed down. So I guess these supplements works ;)
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

PRMinx

In the OP he stated "Id like to hear what you have to say about fat burning supplements" We replied to his post with what we had to say about them. I'm not sure where the confusion is?

@Troutsy LOL uuhmm there is no confusion?

@PRMinx‌ Yes this is a public forum and lots of replies are going to be had. I've just seen tons of people post tons of stuff in general that have nothing to do with the OP and it's irritating, and I know I'm not the only one feeling this way. Also, It just comes off as smug when someone has a disposition that comes off as " No do it my way don't do it your way'
  • gavacho661
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Unless you fix the habits that got you to where you are (overweight) once you come off the pills you will most likely gain the weight right back. Diet is 80% of weight loss. Learn to measure and log food properly. Eat at a deficit. And you will lose weight. Fast does not always equal best.

I was more or less looking for a jump start. Not anything long term. I've been consistently going at it since I started my journey two weeks ago and getting started is always the hardest part. The sooner I can see results the more I'm motivated so I just like what I call a jump start. I had to do this same thing in the past from injuries. Which is again this time why I had to take time off. But I totally agree with everyone that's against supplements and I understand. It's just a mental trick I like to play on myself in the early stage of my comebacks.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I would say from my personal experience is that your best way of spending money is to get a blood test done to see what vitamins and minerals you're deficient in, if any. I was SURPRISED by what I was low in. (SODIUM. I NEED TO HAVE MORE SALT, WHAT?) Instead of just guessing and wasting money on a bunch of over-priced stuff you don't need, get an actual blood test done to see what you DO need and get that. Being healthy will speed you along faster than anything else, and actual testing will give you answers more quickly and specifically than guessing.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    gavacho661 wrote: »
    Unless you fix the habits that got you to where you are (overweight) once you come off the pills you will most likely gain the weight right back. Diet is 80% of weight loss. Learn to measure and log food properly. Eat at a deficit. And you will lose weight. Fast does not always equal best.

I was more or less looking for a jump start. Not anything long term. I've been consistently going at it since I started my journey two weeks ago and getting started is always the hardest part. The sooner I can see results the more I'm motivated so I just like what I call a jump start. I had to do this same thing in the past from injuries. Which is again this time why I had to take time off. But I totally agree with everyone that's against supplements and I understand. It's just a mental trick I like to play on myself in the early stage of my comebacks.

No such thing. Consistency and accuracy is all you really need.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use 3 Sups, one being a fat burner. I drink a 100% whey protein shake in the morning with my breakfast and a Casein protein shake before bed (post-workout); my fat burners I take 2 pills a day, 1 about 30m before breakfast, and the other one about 30m before my preworkout meal so around 4ish. Honestly it's hard so say if the fat burner is actually working or not bc I don't have much fat to burn as it is. I just feel like they keep me where I wanna be as far as BF% goes. A lot of ppl say it's a waste of money, or they don't work. Could be, who knows. I get them for a real low price compared to retail and that's also why I continue to take them. Try it out! Just keep in mind that during the first container it might not work right away since it needs to saturate into your body and system and *kitten*. For both of my proteins I use Optimum Nutrition. And my fat burner I use Lipo 6. Goodluck man. What's gonna get you to where you wanna be tho is a good diet and excercise! No way around that.
  • gavacho661
    Options
    gavacho661 wrote: »

No such thing. Consistency and accuracy is all you really need.
    No s
    I use 3 Sups, one being a fat burner. I drink a 100% whey protein shake in the morning with my breakfast and a Casein protein shake before bed (post-workout); my fat burners I take 2 pills a day, 1 about 30m before breakfast, and the other one about 30m before my preworkout meal so around 4ish. Honestly it's hard so say if the fat burner is actually working or not bc I don't have much fat to burn as it is. I just feel like they keep me where I wanna be as far as BF% goes. A lot of ppl say it's a waste of money, or they don't work. Could be, who knows. I get them for a real low price compared to retail and that's also why I continue to take them. Try it out! Just keep in mind that during the first container it might not work right away since it needs to saturate into your body and system and *kitten*. For both of my proteins I use Optimum Nutrition. And my fat burner I use Lipo 6. Goodluck man. What's gonna get you to where you wanna be tho is a good diet and excercise! No way around that.

10-4
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would say from my personal experience is that your best way of spending money is to get a blood test done to see what vitamins and minerals you're deficient in, if any.

truth :)

• marken999
    marken999 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take a fat burner green tea pill from Costco. It basically just a magic wand. The clue is if the package says "in conjunction with a program of diet and exercise this product may help you lose weight" DUH! If your on a diet/exercise program you don't need the pill.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Save your money.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What about green coffee bean extract? I was thinking about taking it hoping it may give me a boost of energy?? I hate coffee, don't drink it ever.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    What is it with the pills this week? Sheesh.

i was thinking the same thing :/

the only pills i take are a womens daily multi-vitamin and a motrin if i have some sort of pain LOL
  • Azexas
    Options
    What about green coffee bean extract? I was thinking about taking it hoping it may give me a boost of energy?? I hate coffee, don't drink it ever.

It may give you some energy (I don't know if there is caffeine in it- I'm assuming yes), but it isn't going to act as a fat burner.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Fish oil (EPA/DHA) and Vitamin D if you live in North America or Europe, maybe a multivitamin.

I've just seen some stuff about cinnamon, who knows!

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212267212013494
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Also, green tea, apparently. But you have to have like at least 5 cups a day