Rollover calories?

Options
If you were to eat 100 calories under your limit for a day, could you eat 100 more the next day?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother intentionally doing it for a lower number like 100. It wouldn't worry me, though, if I was 100 under one day and went a bit over the next.

In days when I do a lot of activity, like a long run, I often roll those calories over to the next day. Or even go a bit over the day before.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you were to eat 100 calories under your limit for a day, could you eat 100 more the next day?

Sure...go for it.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It's purely hypothetical. It seems like many things about weight loss are tied to the day. Does the human body really operate on a 24 hour clock the same as the rotation of the Earth? Or is it simply because our routines (work, school, meals, etc) are diurnal.

Why not a weekly calorie limit? Or a recommended weekly allowance? Would that work too?
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member
    Options

If you happen to still be hungry, then yes.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It's purely hypothetical. It seems like many things about weight loss are tied to the day. Does the human body really operate on a 24 hour clock the same as the rotation of the Earth? Or is it simply because our routines (work, school, meals, etc) are diurnal.

Why not a weekly calorie limit? Or a recommended weekly allowance? Would that work too?

A deficit of 3500 calories equals one pound. Doesn't matter how long that deficit takes to occur. In MFP if you put in a goal to lose 0.5 pounds per week then you will eat at a deficit of 3500 calories over two weeks. So no.....the body knows no clock. When you hit a deficit of 3500 calories, in general, you will lose a pound.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    While I try to hit my goals for the day, I dont let it stress me out...Im more focused on my average for the week. To me, its all about making sure it averages out.

That being said...Id consider 100 calories to be a wash. I operate under the assumption that my dietary calories are likely an under-estimation (even though I track and use a food scale...Im not perfect and neither are labels) and I assume my exercise calories are an over-estimation (so I only eat back half of them anyway).

100 cals would not be enough for me to decide I have extra to eat another day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

Yes. Any of those would work. Other people like starting each day brand-new.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You can see your weekly calorie deficit on the MFP app. It's a great way to stay on track when you've had a bad eating day. Working out more usually combats it too.
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't because I'd leave those calories for the margin of error that possibly can occur even with weighing etc. Plus if I'm trying to lose weight I'd celebrate that I didn't feel like I needed to eat up the the last calorie limit that is set for me. I feel like it's kind of like a cleaning your plate thing. If your not hungry anymore then stop. If you eat 100 under you don't have to eat them back.
  • TracyShing
    TracyShing Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not on purpose. But I give myself a feebie day a week to eat an indulgent meal, I probably use those extra uneaten calories then.