Bread - Which One?

Options
Morning all

So a very basic question from me. Which is the best bread to buy? I am so baffled by all the options I have no idea which to go for.

Which do you buy? (if any)

TIA :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you like that fits into your calorie goals
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Basically, bread is bread. Find one you like. :)
    (I do not eat bread because I prefer to spend my calories on other things.)
  • roystonsmith2015
    Options
    We bake our own bread with a bread machine. No sugar added, we do add a bit of honey. The bread you buy contains a lot of stuff such as sugar.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    currently using bergen soya& linseed wholemeal.125 cals per slice with 5g of fibre.
  • ayelizzie
    ayelizzie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. Try them all. Be aware that not all brown bread is wholemeal. If you want to eat wholemeal make sure it says 'wholemeal' somewhere on the packet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    I get most of my various breads from behind a winery in a barn, and there's wood involved. There are a few I buy in the box stores, but generally just walk right past the bread dept. Find a good bread maker and be happy.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    A loaf of bread made at home lasts the 2 of us 3-4 days.My bread is mostly wheat with various seeds added. Very good & filling.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole wheat bread that has as few ingredients as I can find for a reasonable price (around $3/loaf). No high fructose corn syrup, preservatives, and local if I can find it. Just my preference.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i like cheap squishy white bread.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I love potato bread. I think the brand I buy is brownberry. It's around 90 calories a slice.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Whichever kind of bread you love... and whichever bread you want to try and see if you like the taste. Just remember, all you need to do is make sure whatever bread you choose to eat fits into your daily calories. :flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As with most things: it depends on your goals. If your goal is only to see the number on the scale go down, any bread you like.

If you have other goals (health, nutrition, fitness etc.) my answer might be different.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Whole grain bread is better for you than white bread. That being the case, there is no one "best bread." Here's a quick read on the topic: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/whole-grains/
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    None.... I dont eat bread.
  • Digduga70
    Options
    I agree with the general consensuses, that there is no "best bread". If you are looking for a good clean bread, then making your own is best, or find a local baker that you trust. I personally am far too lazy, er busy to bake my own and I only have one local baker that I trust and they typically run out by the time I get there. I purchase Ezekiel 4:9 ® Sprouted Whole Grain Bread, and I have found it's the best value with the ingredients I feel comfortable with. Food for Life has other varieties, but I personally like this one, just my preference.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Which bread goes with what you are eating?
    What bread do you like?

I bake bread a lot, I also buy everything depending on what I'm using it for.. white bread, pumpernickel rye, potato, they all go very well for certain things. The macros are only slightly different compared to my home made bread, and usually mine is higher calorie.

ETA: my goals are health, fitness, nutrition and I still eat bread.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    We have a local rye bread that is 60 cals per slice. Generally to fit my caloric goals I migrate towards that. Otherwise if I feel like a 'heavy' bread for added energy I go with a 7 grain type bread which has way more taste and seems to satisfy my hanger pangs for longer.
  • searunn
    searunn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Silver Hills Sprouted Wheat Bread.....The Big 16 it is loaded with 16 kinds of seeds & grains . It is Non GMO and 91% organic. High fibre.
    I get mine at Costco.
  • lifeguard23
    lifeguard23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Alpine Valley at Costco is particularly yummy. Organic, whole grain, lots of fiber. I buy it when I want toast for breakfast. I also like Arnold's. It's high in calories so it fills me up.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well I think it depends on what you're looking for. Something tasty? Low in calories? Organic? Etc, etc. For me I try to eat non GMO and low calories. I love Aunt Millies light breads. Only 35 calories per slice! I can have toast with my eggs guilt free! Or a turkey sandwhich with mustard and not kill my calroies! If they don't have aunt millies in your area, I believe Sarah Lee also makes one that is 45 cals per slice but they tend to use GMO ingredients.