Net calorie confusion.

Options
I am new to this website and I know this has probably been asked before but for some reason my app isn't allowing me to search for answers to this so that is why I am posting!

MFP has me set to 1250 net calories in order to lose 1-2 pounds a month (which is more than fine to me) HOWEVER. When I workout (which I wear an HRM for so I can get a more accurate burn than say, the machines tell me) and say I burn 600 calories, does that mean I can consume 600 more calories? I could not imagine living and functioning properly eating 1200 calories a day, so being able to workout to gain more is definitely sounding good BUT I do want to lose weight so maybe only way half back? Or all?

Like I said, I couldn't imagine doing 120o-1250 calories a day for the rest of my life. I was just wondering if simply having a net of 1250 was enough to lose weight.

Sorry for the novel.

Replies

• charcharrenee
    Options
    Actually I found this: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal#latest and found It very useful! But I am still interested in what advice or answers MFPers can provide!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I workout (which I wear an HRM for so I can get a more accurate burn than say, the machines tell me) and say I burn 600 calories, does that mean I can consume 600 more calories?

Yes. Your exercise isn't factored into the weight loss calculations so you would create an excessive deficit.
  • charcharrenee
    Options
    Haha thank you! I think I just needed reassured. I like this simple answer. I think I've got it!
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    A number of people here tend to not eat back all of the exercise calories they burn in order to account for any inaccuracies in the HRM estimates. Some eat back about half of the calories that they burn from exercise, but monitor your weight and how it is against your expectations, and adjust your intake accordingly.
  • charcharrenee
    Options
    Driagnor wrote: »
    A number of people here tend to not eat back all of the exercise calories they burn in order to account for any inaccuracies in the HRM estimates. Some eat back about half of the calories that they burn from exercise, but monitor your weight and how it is against your expectations, and adjust your intake accordingly.[/quote

This is also good advice. I think I'm going to see how eating back all works out first and adjust after seeing how my body and weight responds. If I need to tweak and eat less back, than I will. I guess it's all about finding out what works for you! I don't want any quick fixes or something that I know I can't do forever (which is what I mean by only eating 1200 calories a day) because I know it would just make me crazy, irritable and I might lose weight but I want this to be a lifestyle change. If that makes sense.
  • charcharrenee
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Wow this is the best explanation I have yet to read on this question! It also made me laugh a bit. Thank you for your help!