Working out twice a day

Options
Is working out twice a day, 5 days a week over doing it? Is it unhealthy/dangerous?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking us? We don't know you.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is working out twice a day, 5 days a week over doing it? Is it unhealthy/dangerous?

How many hours are exercising everyday? 10 minutes of exercise twice a day would not be a lot, 2 hours twice a day would be over doing it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes it is.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Are you training for something?

Exactly what are you doing?

Are you fueling properly to be training twice daily?

How long are each of your training sessions?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes, over doing it.
    no, not unhealthy/dangerous

end thread/
  • jamespsykes
    jamespsykes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    training twice a day is fine provided you get enough rest between sessions, eat enough good food to fuel yourself and you get plenty of sleep.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There are reasons why high schools and colleges have restrictions on how many two a days they can do. Your profile says you're 19 with 80 lbs to lose. That doesn't indicate conditioned athlete training for an event.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    There are reasons why high schools and colleges have restrictions on how many two a days they can do. Your profile says you're 19 with 80 lbs to lose. That doesn't indicate conditioned athlete training for an event.

Well, I kind of disagree that two-a-days are athlete only depending on what she's doing.

For example, doing a 30-60min strength training or cardio session (depending on the day) in the AM and then a 30-45 min yoga session or walk in the PM. I think that'd be perfectly okay even if she's not an athlete in training.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Well, I kind of disagree that two-a-days are athlete only depending on what she's doing.

For example, doing a 30-60min strength training or cardio session (depending on the day) in the AM and then a 30-45 min yoga session or walk in the PM. I think that'd be perfectly okay even if she's not an athlete in training.

For a teen that is looking to lose 80 pounds ... overdoing it. It's the recipe for disaster ... start exercising, then quickly escalate to overdoing it, either burn out or get injured, quit.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

For a teen that is looking to lose 80 pounds ... overdoing it. It's the recipe for disaster ... start exercising, then quickly escalate to overdoing it, either burn out or get injured, quit.

Well, that's true for anyone, honestly. Was just putting it out that two-a-days isn't really "excessive" as long as you educate yourself in managing it (i.e. making sure you take at least 1 rest day a week, fueling your body properly, not doing two extensive workouts the same day, etc.)
  • candyratbag
    Options
    The only thing that I can add to this is that when we were kids we would run around and play all day, bouncing around, climbing stuff, riding bikes and kicking a ball. Nobody told us that that much exercise was bad for us then. So unless you have some serious medical condition preventing you from doing excess exercise I would imagine that it is ok as long as you vary the types of workouts that you do. Afterall if you don't exercise all the muscle groups equally you might end up looking really toned in places whilst looking saggy in others. Good luck.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know how many calories she's consuming everyday...
  • carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym
    in the morning for a 20-30 minute stroll on the treadmill (2.5-3.0 MPH pace). Then back for 20 mins of strength training and 20 intense cardio. The morning stroll keeps my osteoarthritic knee pain at bay all day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Depends on intensity, length of time and whether or not it may be considered overtraining for the individual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Probably not overdoing it...though it would be helpful to have many of the details indicated above.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well, that's true for anyone, honestly. Was just putting it out that two-a-days isn't really "excessive" as long as you educate yourself in managing it (i.e. making sure you take at least 1 rest day a week, fueling your body properly, not doing two extensive workouts the same day, etc.)

Agreed. And I would think a strong, young teenager is who could pull off something like this for sure. Just don't injure yourself OP. Listen to your body and take a break when you need it

• charcharrenee
    Options
    Do you feel it's unhealthy? It's easy to fall into an unhealthy relationship with exercise. If you enjoy it and don't over exert yourself or injure yourself, I don't see anything wrong!

There are days I wake up and run a few miles and then go to the gym at night to do weights. I don't feel like I'm hurting myself. I also make sure to fuel my body with enough calories to function.