different readings on MFP

Options
When I first started recording my exercise, I walked 45 minutes at 3.5, 6% incline. MFP says it's 411 calories burned. The last two times when I recorded, it shows 403 calories burned. Now today it shows 401 calories. Same distance, speed, incline. Can anyone please explain?
Thank you

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh less now?
  • michaellindsay
    Options
    Brian is probably correct, you weigh less
  • jodigrengs
    jodigrengs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, never thought of that. In my 25 days with MFP I lost 5 lbs. I'm aiming for 1 lb. a week
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Be aware, the cals burned that MFP spits out are wildly inaccurate. They are more than the machines say and THOSE are generally way over as well.

One of the biggest problems people have is eating more than they think and burning less than they think. When I first started trying to lose weight, I went by the machines number, and didn't lose.

To help limit this problem, I ignore what MFP says for cals, and put in about 1/3 of what the exercise machine said. That seems to work.
  • jodigrengs
    jodigrengs Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ok....now I don't know who do believe....I'll just keep exercising and hope for the best.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Katetw wrote: »
    Be aware, the cals burned that MFP spits out are wildly inaccurate. They are more than the machines say and THOSE are generally way over as well.

One of the biggest problems people have is eating more than they think and burning less than they think. When I first started trying to lose weight, I went by the machines number, and didn't lose.

To help limit this problem, I ignore what MFP says for cals, and put in about 1/3 of what the exercise machine said. That seems to work.

Wildly inaccurate?
    Based on what?

OP - a useful blog that may help you
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/estimating-calories-activity-databases-198041