What's your hardest thing to give up?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jjasmelon
    jjasmelon Posts: 101
    Options
    Not being able to eat whatever and whenever I want..
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Bread for sure... I absolutely love it but it really doesn't like me... I have also cut down to only drinking wine once a week. That has been really tough but I am certainly feeling the benefits. Everything else I try to fit into my calories so I don't feel deprived!!
  • Amberellie11
    Amberellie11 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Becka4prez wrote: »
    I miss just eating, without thinking of calories, fat, carbs, protein. Sometimes I want to just eat, not necessarily too much, but without stressing about every bite.
    Yup! This!
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I don't believe in giving up favorite foods. Just makes you crave them more. I do limit some food to special occasions.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    debm109 wrote: »
    So how do you lose weight if you still eat those things. If I ate ice cream the way I like it I wouldn't have enough calories left for the day.

I'm not eating a gallon of ice cream. I'm eating a portion. I don't believe in cutting things out of my diet....I make sure whatever I eat fits my macros and the "treats" are in moderation.

I workout 5 times a week, work a desk job during the day, and have found relatively steady progress without worrying that I'm completely depriving myself. I've learned self control and that when someone brings a cake into work, I'm not going to cry into my office and freak out that I can't have any. Nor am I going to feel guilty after having a slice.

If I want some cake... I eat some cake and make it work. *shrug* I understand that this method doesn't work for everyone and I also understand that some people feel that they don't have the willpower to only have a small slice/small portion of a something.

+1

Seriously, when you eat better quality treats (like ice cream) you are satisfied with so much less. A cheap "low fat, reduced sugar" (usually with splenda, yuck) ice cream will not satisfy me in one serving, probably not by the quart! But, 100g of delicious high-end gelato, savored slowly, WILL. 200 calories of it is easy to fit into my day, and brings with it some protein and calcium, too!

The problem isn't the ice cream, it's the habit of mindlessly stuffing an entire container down. If you develop a habit of enjoying small portions of high quality treats (any treat, this goes for stuff like chocolate and wine as well!), you'll probably feel more satisfied, PLUS you will have developed good habits for maintenance over the rest of your life.
  • lapriya
    lapriya Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Tea , snacking infront of tv, not thinking before reaching out food
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Going cold turkey off of most all carbs for life was hands down the hardest thing for me to give up.

The first two weeks were hellish after being a 40 year abuser of them. After four weeks the carb cravings had pretty much fade and my pain level that for years had been in the 7-8 range on a 1-10 scale dropped to the 2-3 level and has stated that low. Six months later I have no desire to return to living on carbs. For all of my life I thought carbs were a dietary requirement for life but addictions can be like that. Still losing about a pound a week and eating about 2500 cals daily. Not sure why but like others report calories from Fat does not seem to cause the same weight gains like the same amount of calories from Carbs. The freedom to no longer to have to experience going hungry to lose/maintain weight is awesome.

I do not miss having IBS now which controlled my life for about 40 years. The same goes for a life long of daily sugar crashes if I did not pig out on carbs.

Being down 40 pounds with another 30 to go is permitting me to wear clothes I have not been able to wear for years. Just had my 64th birthday with better health than when I was 44.

Maybe the stuff that is so hard to give up is the stuff that is killing us?

Keep in mind just because carbs seem to be like poison to my body that is not the case for everyone.
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In a word - chocolate! Of course, I love dark chocolate and it is a health food!
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing for me to give up is pizza. If my job orders it, I will have a slice or two if I've worked out that day and save my lunch that I brought for the next day.

However I do miss being able to order a medium with cheese and roasted red peppers, and scarfing it down by myself without a care in a world while binge watching one of my fave TV shows :-P
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Eating as much as I wanted whenever I wanted not giving a second thought to calories or macros... RIP.

Totatlly this. nuff said