Childhood food pleasures

Options
sheldonklein
sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
As a kid, I frequently ate dinner at a family friend's house. Often it was scrambled eggs with canned corn. This morning, I spied a stray ear off corn in the fridge and made eggs with fresh cut corn for the first time in about 45 years. It was delicious.
Do others have long lost food pleasures?

Replies

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! I remember eating them all through childhood and still love them.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I always loved it when my dad made egg noodles mixed with honey, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Canned corned beef hash
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    grilled cheese sandwiches with hot sauce in the middle, fish sticks cooked till they are SUPER crunchy and then dipped in a ton of ketchup... ramen noodles with chopped celery.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I ate tomatoes like apples back when it was easier to get a good tomato.

My mom's no bake cherry cheese pie. It's nothing at all like the crap-in-a-box no bake cheesecake on grocery shelves. Hers is the only one I'm ok with having a crust and topping - lots of crushed walnuts in it yummmmmm.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Made with MOUNDS of peanut butter. I'm talking 1/4 cup of pb at least. Mmmmm
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Canned corned beef hash

loved that, but fried bologna more
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Butter and sugar sammiches
    Ice shaved from the freezer with pickle juice
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! I remember eating them all through childhood and still love them.

Well, well, WELL. I thought it was just ME! Well, me and my childhood friend who introduced me to peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! People laugh, but we know better, don't we??? The last one I had was about three months ago. ::::sigh::::

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my husband this morning that when I was about 6 or 7, I was a cucumber junkie. When my favorite aunt visited, she brought candy for my brothers and always a huge cucumber for me, and I always felt I got the best gift.

Funny how my tastes changed!
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    A sandwhich with white bread, butter, and ketchup.

Also, this is weird, but I used to love gummy candy and hate chocolate. Now, its in reverse.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My grandmother passed away 20 years ago, and that was the last time I had rice pudding. I really like rice pudding and don't know why I haven't made it when I grew up. I really should.

Semolina porridge (cream of wheat you call it?). Mom used to make it, and then drop a knob of butter into my still hot plate of porridge, and I would push it deeper into the porridge watch it melt. She doesn't make it as often now.

Speaking of semolina, when I was a kid my grandmother used to make some kind of semolina dessert that is easy to cut and pick up. During our Summer break she would make 2 huge sheets of it, one blue and one pink. My cousins and I would sit by the side of the street in front of our house and sell it to passers by. People and kids loved the thing and the two sheets were totally gone within a couple of hours.

When I used to go with my mom to visit my other grandmother in the Summer, I remember eating gooseberries right off the bush, and my uncle carrying me to reach the higher sour cherries on the tree. The higher ones taste better you know! I haven't had either in 20 years.

• LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    NaurielR wrote: »
    Peanut butter and honey sandwiches. Made with MOUNDS of peanut butter. I'm talking 1/4 cup of pb at least. Mmmmm

Yes!!!!

Pasta pot... A pasta dish my mom makes that has always been my favourite. I now know how to make it, and we happen to be having it tonight. I will say though... Pb and honey sandwiches do rank amongst the best food ever really.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Fried egg sandwiches:-) Loved 'em!
    Leana088 wrote: »
    A sandwhich with white bread, butter, and ketchup.

Also, this is weird, but I used to love gummy candy and hate chocolate. Now, its in reverse.

I also did ketchup and mustard sandwiches. Not because I loved them really. But we always had ketchup, mustard, and a chest freezer full of white bread on hand. My dad worked at Kilpatrick's Bakery, and eating 'em never messed with my mom's grocery budget. Haven't had the desire for one since I grew up. Egg sandwiches though...yum.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Not too unique, but fig newtons. When I was little, my grandmother had a cookie jar (shaped like a big happy frog! hehe) and she always kept chocolate chip cookies in it...except when I came to stay for summer holiday...then she filled it up with fig newtons instead.

My cousins would get SO angry with me, because I was the only one who liked fig newtons. That was like, 30 years ago, and to this day, they still jostle me over how it was my fault no one got to eat any chocolate chip cookies for 2 months. LoL

I rarely eat them now, maybe once a year? But they always makes me think of my grandmother :blush:
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Man, what a potluck we would have if we all got together for a "childhood revisted" party lol!!!

Spaghetti sandwiches. No joke, garlic bread, or just untoasted white if mom didn't make any toast, throw some of her sketti on there, add some ranch or mayo and omggg lol.

When I make spaghetti at home, I still make it into a sandwich if I do garlic bread with it lol
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Homemade sauce and meatballs. I could eat a vat of that.
    Fluffernutters! Best results with 8Tbsp of fluff and 8Tbsp of peanutbutter betwixt two thick slices of whole wheat break :) yummm
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Frosting sandwiches: leftover jar frosting on wheat bread. Fried egg sandwiches with barbecue sauce. Tortillas with cheese, rolled up and microwaved. Leftover rice warmed up with butter and sugar. Buttered saltines. French bread, slathered with butter and sugar and broiled.

I'm starting to figure out why I crave carbs when I'm having a hard day! :p
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    At grandma's house, Denver omelet sandwiches. I swore I hated bell pepper, and anything my mom tried to make for me that had them in it, I wouldn't eat. Somehow, my grandma managed to hide the peppers before she chopped them, and I happily ate them at her house all the time with no clue.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Butter and sugar sammiches
    Yes, me too! I also used to make myself eggcups-full of buttercream to eat with a teaspoon.