Childhood food pleasures

Options

Replies

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    At my house the big thing was creamed corn with cut-up hot dogs. Also candy of the '70s variety that was basically nothing but variously shaped, lightly flavored compressed sugar.

Ugh, I feel queasy now. I swear kids have no taste buds.
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Spaghettios with cut up hot dogs. Shudder! That was my "go to meal" for years. My Mom was not much of a cook. No fond memories of home cooked food from her. She was always on a crazy diet, and fed me something out of a can.

LOL so familiar...I used to looooooooove Spaghetti-Os when I was little, but the last time I had them in an attempt to recatch that childhood feeling, they were terrible, lmao...too sweet, weird texture, didn't taste like pasta at all. The meatballs were passable but there were only two in the entire can. Disappointing, to say the least, lol. my dog liked it, tho!

however, I still love me some macaroni salad with mayo, tuna, celery, and peas. i'll make that and eat it till the very end, hah.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    My dad used to make this version of shepherd's pie (which actually was nothing like it at all): he'd grill sausages, then cut them up and put them in a casserole dish with a couple of cans of Heinz baked beans, then cover that mix with buttery mashed potatoes and put in the oven for half an hour.

When I was at primary school my mum would often work late nursing shifts on a Friday night, so my dad would pick me up from school, we'd walk to the supermarket (about 4 mile trip from school to the shop to home again, carrying the bags back obviously) and then reward ourselves when we got in with digestive biscuits spread with Nutella with slices of banana on top.

I also liked the times I went to one friend's house for tea because her mum would ALWAYS make turkey dinosaurs, potato smiley faces and spaghetti hoops for tea. That would not fly in my house.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! I remember eating them all through childhood and still love them.

Well, well, WELL. I thought it was just ME! Well, me and my childhood friend who introduced me to peanut butter and dill pickle sandwiches! People laugh, but we know better, don't we??? The last one I had was about three months ago. ::::sigh::::

I was introduced to this sandwich when I was in my later 20's, and yumm is all I can say. They taste so good. The pickle cuts the stickyness of the peanut butter and the flavors just blend so good together. I still eat them to this day.

For peeps who go oooouuuuueee yuck. I say, don't knock it till you try it !!
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I remember I would always ask my Mom to make me a peanut butter and banana toast! So good!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    At my house the big thing was creamed corn with cut-up hot dogs. Also candy of the '70s variety that was basically nothing but variously shaped, lightly flavored compressed sugar.

I remember for a while McDonald's had banana shakes. I thought they were awesome, kid across the street though they were awesome, both our moms thought they were disgusting and couldn't understand why we wanted them. Fast forward until I had a toddler, and got him some of the toddler snacks from the babyfood aisle. One was supposed to be banana flavored, tried it and first thought, "this tastes like McDonald's banana shakes." Second thought, "OMFG this is disgusting." Meanwhile, he was happily eating them with a big smile on his face.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

I remember for a while McDonald's had banana shakes. I thought they were awesome, kid across the street though they were awesome, both our moms thought they were disgusting and couldn't understand why we wanted them. Fast forward until I had a toddler, and got him some of the toddler snacks from the babyfood aisle. One was supposed to be banana flavored, tried it and first thought, "this tastes like McDonald's banana shakes." Second thought, "OMFG this is disgusting." Meanwhile, he was happily eating them with a big smile on his face.

I'm afraid you're wrong. McDonald's banana milkshakes are still available (at least in the UK) and are undeniably the best flavour. :#
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    It might be dangerous to even type these things out! Mac and cheese with spam, grilled velveeta sandwiches, bologna sandwiches on soft white bread...it's been many, many years and will be many, many more!

Bologna and cheese with cheddar and sour cream chips with soft white bread. I still eat a couple of those during the summer months just delicious!

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My great grand ma used to make kirnikers which is a dumpling made with flour a tiny bit of salt, an egg and milk, put them in boiling water and when they float they're done. Eat it with just some of the water broth, with salt, pepper and lots of butter. My daughter now wants them sometimes still, don't make them very often. Only the women in the family like them, the men all want them with some meat and gravy.
    One weird thing that I don't really crave but remember and can almost smell sometimes, was our closest friends used to get a huge wad of peanut butter in a bowl pour in some pancake syrup ( a lot) start stirring it up and make sandwiches out of it on white bread. We lived next door and we were always back and forth, and they always smelled of that pb syrup.
    One of my favorite things, growing up in AZ was my mom making homemade popsickles. There were 4 kids in my family and 4 kids next door so we made a huge batch out of partially koolaid and jello and made lots of neat flavors mixed. I loved the peach, put them in little tiny Dixie cups and put in the popsickle stick and put them in the big freezer and the waiting till they were frozen was torture.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I will still, if given the opportunity, eat sour gummy worms until the inside of my mouth is completely raw.
  • buffveganme
    buffveganme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    kraft dinner with hotdogs...ewww
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    kraft dinner with hotdogs...ewww

I'm sure I would find it delicious.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Raw hotdogs, sweet bologna with peanut butter rolls, and French Toast covered with syrup.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I loved fried SPAM. It was a huge treat when my mom bought it because my dad was a butcher so we always had meat. Oh how I took having steak in the house all the time for granted.

My grandma's homemade rolls. I still make them but they were better when she made them.

Cinnamon toast with way too much sugar. On a similar note- chocolate milk with way too much chocolate syrup.

I could have any of those things now but as I learned when I tried to get some fudge striped cookies a couple of years ago-- tastes change. I don't want to ruin any more memories of food with the reality of what it tastes like. :laugh:
  • sevenswallows
    sevenswallows Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hot dog in a squishy white bun with potato chips, Cheez Whiz, and ketchup.

Also McD's banana milkshakes! I forgot about those.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    mac an cheese mixed with tuna, sour cream, and peas. my dad called it 'poor man's casserole.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    mac an cheese mixed with tuna, sour cream, and peas. my dad called it 'poor man's casserole.

Lol I made that as a kid!! I added onions and carrots. My granny told me it was delicious and she loved it when I made that...but why was her portion always in the trash?? :(
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my mom rarely cooked us meals we usually ate KD with cut up hotdogs & ketchup or a bowl of zoodles/alphagetti with buttered bread to dip in and put the zoodles on

i now strive to have vegan kd the same way and i like putting noodles in tomato sauces on to buttered (vegan) white bread and eating it sometimes

makes me smile
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I dug spaghetti o's.

Now as an adult I realize those things are trash. Live and learn, kids have no sense of taste.
  • pearshapedmum
    pearshapedmum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    SaraKim17 wrote: »
    Canned corned beef hash

hell yeah!