Water Intake and Bladder Problems.

Options
I used to drink about 3/4 pints of squash a day but since trying to lose weight I've upped that to as many as I can fit in.
It's probably more like 6/7 pints of squash a day now.

My problem is I need to go to the toilet allll the time! Will my bladder eventually be able to hold more water allowing me to not have to go to the toilet every hour?

I also have been feeling quite bloated recently, is this anything to do with the amount of water I'm drinking or could it be something else?

Replies

• foxfirekenzie
    foxfirekenzie Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Please do tell what squash is.
    I have the same problem with so much water and it hasn't ever changed. I think my bladder is the size of a pea!
  • SremaniakN
    SremaniakN Posts: 3
    Options
    You may want to try going to the doctor to get it checked out just to be on the safe side. I'm having the same issue as you, eventually your bladder should get used to it. Hopefully its sooner than later!
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is squash water?

I have the same problem. I'm drinking between 8 and 10 cups of water (squash?) a day and pee like nobody's business. If I can go an hour without hightailing it to the bathroom it's a miracle.
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's water just flavoured with a cordial.

I wouldn't be able to drink water without a bit of squash/flavour so mainly have lovely apple and blackcurrant water that I can drink heaps of. :happy:
  • italianmomof2boys
    Options
    Actually I've been having problems with holding my urine in so I went to see a urologist who told me I have an extremely sensitive bladder and put me on meds which are helping wonderfully. If you want to know what the meds are please contact me again.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I went from drinking pretty much no water to trying to get in 8-10 cups a day. At first, I had to pee allllllll the time, like every 15 minutes. Now I go every few hours. So yes. It will get better. If you notice pain or anything out of the ordinary get to see a doctor to check things out
  • Cutemomof5
    Cutemomof5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I looked up squash and if I'm not mistaken they said it is unsweetened carbonated water. We call it club soda in the US. That would explain the bloated feeling. Carbonation is gas. You swallow the gas and it has to work its way through...therefore the bloat. My weight loss doctor recommended no more than 20 oz (slightly more than 1/2 litre (598 ml)) of carbonated beverage per day unless I comp oz per ounce with non carbonation. Eg. I must drink 64 oz of water per day and can have 20 oz carbonation. If I want 20 more carbonation, I must drink 20 more water to comp for the extra carbonation. (sorry I didn't do the metric conversions, I'm in a rush but you get the general idea...I hope :))

As to the bladder issue...my daughter's urologist told me that you will excrete the exact amount you intake once your body is hydrated properly. I drink about 3 liters a day and I use the rest room a lot. I don't know how many children you have, if any, but this can affect bladder function. However, in answer to your question...yes, if you don't have medical issues like overactive bladder or diabetes, etc. your bladder can expand after time when it adjusts to the increased volume (assuming you didn't drink a lot before). The bladder is a muscle and can adjust to certain circumstances barring other medical issues. Do not, however force yourself to wait too long as urine can back up into the kidney and cause kidney stones, UTI etc. I can't speak for your particular case, just personal experience. If it continues to be a problem, certainly see your doctor but the first 3 weeks of increased liquid intake is always the worst.

Good luck! Don't give up...water is good for you!
  • PhoenixRising11
    Options
    fd13b26b.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. Is club soda just like pepsi? Like a fizzy drink?
    If it is then this isn't the same thing, it's just a flavouring that you add to water.

Actually just looking at the label and noticed it contains sulphites. Is this bad?
  • PhoenixRising11
    Options
    I went from drinking pretty much no water to trying to get in 8-10 cups a day. At first, I had to pee allllllll the time, like every 15 minutes. Now I go every few hours. So yes. It will get better. If you notice pain or anything out of the ordinary get to see a doctor to check things out

No no pain at all. UTI I've had before and it is UNBELIEVABLY painful!
    I just feel the need to go pee every hour or every other hour. I guess I must have thought I was drinking a good amount of water before at 3/4 pints a day but I only needed to go to the toilet maybe 4 times a day.
    I think it will pass after a few more weeks maybe then, but if not I will def get it checked out.

Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners can cause bloat if consumed in large quantities. Try cutting back to half squash, half plain water during the day and see if it makes a difference.

And yes, eventually your bladder should catch up to the increased intake and you want have to live/work/breathe on the toilet. :)
  • emlov81
    emlov81 Posts: 128
    Options
    Americans don't have squash...a friend of mine just moved there:huh:
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Squash makes you need to go to the loo more than plain water. Try making your squash weaker or alternating it with plain water.
  • leix
    leix Posts: 176
    Options
    Id try get shot of juice tbh.

I only started drinking water 1 year ago, before was all fizzy
    i hated taste water, as time gone on, ive tried it, go on with it ive came to like it, but didnt h\appen in matter of weeks.

i drink 14-16 glasses water 250ml, as time passes the need go loo got less, if i down 1-1.5l after workout i find i will need go bit more often then, but understandable really.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    you were probably okay drinking the 3-4 pints as each pint is 2 1\2 cups and 8 cups is the recommended amount. If I drink over that I am always in the bathroom and I tried drinking more for 3 weeksbut:smile: d my bladder did not adjust so I dropped it back down and now I am fine.
  • sue26
    Options
    by the way english pints are bigger than US pints, 20oz as opposed to 16oz.:smile:
  • PhoenixRising11
    Options
    Yeah I measured the UK pint about 568ml so I've been taking that every pint I drink is 2 glasses and I've been having about 6/7/8 UK pints a day.

I can't believe you don't have squash in America. How do you flavour your water!!?
    I will break up the squash with pints of water. I don't mind the odd pint of plain water its just drinking so much of just plain water all the time makes me feel a bit sick.

Yeah I might drop back down a few pints and see if the weight still drops off as I thought it was probably helping.
    On days that I accidentally have a high sodium intake I like to drink more as I heard it helps and I had a lot of prawn/shrimp today so have purposely drank even more.
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    In Canada we have lots of fake stuff you can put in water to flavour it - frankly though for me, I just don't understand why a person would want to mess up water, its my fave just simple plain "still" water = good stuff :smile:
  • PhoenixRising11
    Options
    It's just a general everyday thing here. I don't know anyone that doesn't use squash in their household. (Apart from a Chinese friend of mine that moved here about 10 years ago that prefers plain water.)
  • sue26
    Options
    Im English living in Canada and I miss squash, especially lemon and barley water. Can get Ribena though but its sooooo expensive.:smile:
  • pickleanmeangreen
    Options
    I watched dr oz the other day, i believe women tend to go to the restroom more , because of the hormones, they showed how many women went to the restroom rather then men after the movie it was staggering, look it up with dr oz