So hungry

Options
I'm so hungry! Help. Also, I seem to be losing too fast even though I'm following MFP guidelines. I'm set to lose 0.5/week but I am down 3-4 lbs in two weeks. Maybe that's normal at first. But I'm so hungry and running out of calories.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, how aggressively do you have your goal set? Secondly, to help feel sated longer, you could up your protein and fats.
  • grandma107
    grandma107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First, how aggressively do you have your goal set? Secondly, to help feel sated longer, you could up your protein and fats.

Just want to say I always admire your advice.

Sirion you also might want to think about exercising to add calories back so you can consume some extra calories. Blessings.
  • sirion2
    sirion2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Set at 0.5 lbs a week. Trying to increase protein and fat but having a problem keeping Sat Fat down too. I have high cholesterol and try to stick to 15g sat fat a day max. I'm really having a hard time with my choices.
  • sirion2
    Options
    I exercise 5 days a week for min 45 mins. I usually eat back the calories. I'm so frustrated. Why am I so hungry? My stomach is growling right now. My goal is 110 lbs at 5'3" and I'm quite small boned. I don't care about my weight so much. I want to eat healthy and stay between 110-112 lbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    stomach growling is not a sign of being hungry actually its those noises can be your food breaking down,gas,hyperactive bowels,lactose intolerance,etc. But ,If you are feeling hungry then maybe have a snack with protein,fat and carbs in it.are you drinking enough water through the day? if you are thirsty it can make your body think you are hungry. drink a glass of water and wait 15-20 min, if you are still hungry eat something, also when you first starting eating at a deficit you can lose weight quickly at first, 3-4 lbs in 2 weeks is only 1.5-2 lbs a week,it should slow down after awhile.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    sirion2 wrote: »
    Set at 0.5 lbs a week. Trying to increase protein and fat but having a problem keeping Sat Fat down too. I have high cholesterol and try to stick to 15g sat fat a day max. I'm really having a hard time with my choices.

If you have high cholesterol, you may want to focus on the amount of cholesterol is present in the foods you are eating instead of worrying about the saturated fats (I think MFP will let you track cholesterol if you would like). Have you asked your doctor if there is a certain amount of cholesterol that you should not be over daily, like 200? or 300mg? You need to have some fats in your diet to help you feel full. Maybe try having healthy fats from nuts, fish, or eggs. Years ago, I was told I had high cholesterol and now it isn't a problem and I still eat red meat and eggs several times a week. I have included more fruits, veggies, Greek yogurt, and lean meats into my diet and I think this had helped my cholesterol to lower while still staying full.

It may be something worth looking into.
  • Metruis
    Metruis Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's normal to drop a lot of weight at first. I dropped a ridiculous amount of weight when I first started (though I wasn't tracking), mostly water, I assume.

Anyway, losing 2 pounds a week is perfectly reasonable, don't panic. And if you're starving, eat more food that'll stick. I'm losing weight at a reasonable pace and I'm never starving... I eat a lot of eggs, vegetables, meat. (Low carber here.)
  • ta12pn
    ta12pn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    you could drink more water. I drink about 3 L per day
  • sirion2
    Options
    I don't believe dietary cholesterol is associated with blood cholesterol. My understanding is that limiting saturated fat is a better goal to lower cholesterol. The idea of eating plain boiled chicken does not appeal to me. And I'm actually hungry, not just stomach making noises. I eat plenty of nuts and fats. Just can't keep from being hungry and staying at 15g. Saturated Fat.
  • sirion2
    Options
    Just had some water, thanks for the reminder.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't believe dietary cholesterol is associated with blood cholesterol. My understanding is that limiting saturated fat is a better goal to lower cholesterol. The idea of eating plain boiled chicken does not appeal to me. And I'm actually hungry, not just stomach making noises. I eat plenty of nuts and fats. Just can't keep from being hungry and staying at 15g. Saturated Fat.

Maybe try some different seasonings like sriracha spice, ancho or chipolte chili pepper to chicken to give it some flavor versus plain boiled chicken?
  • killakyle420
    Options
    Half the time when your hungry your actually thirsty.. if thats not the issue then just bump your calories up a couple hundred a day and your weight loss should slow down.
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

In addition to saturated fat, reducing sugar & processed foods can also be beneficial.
    I only looked at a few days in your diary, but I would be hungry too. My suggestion would be to add some more protein - salmon is great for cholesterol, chicken can be cooked in a variety of interesting ways, how about eggs for breakfast? If you want to avoid too many yolks (although current research says an egg or two a day are fine), then how about adding extra egg whites? A protein shake? I would also add more whole grains, i.e brown rice instead of white (quinoa has more protein than rice) etc. Fibre is also good in helping with reducing cholesterol. Good luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein. Lots of protein without saturated fat--like egg whites and tofu. Protein powder. Beans, quinoa, amaranth. All good stuff. Try cooking with olive oil. I season with turmeric, garlic and onions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you are losing too fast (even after initial water weight loss) and feel hungry too, up your calories. Estimates, even those set by MFP!, are just estimates. Real life experience is real.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are losing too fast (even after initial water weight loss) and feel hungry too, up your calories. Estimates, even those set by MFP!, are just estimates. Real life experience is real.
    +1
    Try upping your daily calorie limit by 100 cals a day until you find your sweet spot.

How about vinaigrette on your salad to up your unsaturated fats?
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    From your diary, you're not eating a lot of green vegetables. You can eat a huge volume of those for very few calories, which might fill you up.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat hasn't been linked to heart disease (high cholesterol) in any study, although the recommendations for intake haven't been changed. Trans fatty acids are the ones to avoid. A conversation with your doc may be in order.

Here is a summary of findings, if you'd like to take a look.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2014-03-18-saturated-fats-and-heart-disease-link-unproven/

I eat a high fat diet and remain in the normal range, but I've never had high cholesterol so that doesn't mean anything for you. What I do have is satiety so that reducing calories isn't so hard for me. Like the others have said, upping fat and protein will help you be successful.
  • sirion2
    Options
    Everything is so confusing. Gah!! Thanks. I think I'll up the calories by 100 right after I hit my goal weight. Two more pounds to go!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You don't seem to weigh your food. You might be overestimating some things.