Diet Soda?

Options
DanieleIsBatgirl
DanieleIsBatgirl Posts: 14 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know that nothing is better than water, but I hate just straight water. I've been using clover valley flavored water enhancer, but I like having the carbonation in diet soda. Would it make a huge difference if I cut out the diet drinks, or are they okay to drink? They're what I go to when I'm bored rather than eating. Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As long as your body doesn't have a negative reaction to artificial sweeteners (as some people do suffer headaches and the like when consuming sweeteners), there's nothing wrong with them in moderation. I have a can every night with dinner and a 24-ounce bottle to wake me up on Sundays.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Do a search...there's a giant diet soda thread. :) The general consensus is: they're fine.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    They are fine if you like them. They have so few calories that the companies can legally say they have 0, so cutting them out isn't going to cut a significant number of calories for you.

If you cut them, you *might* lose a bit of water weight. But if they're helping you, I'd say that's more valuable.
  • northern232001
    Options
    Have you tried La Croix sparkling waters? They have carbonation and they come in a variety of flavors. It feels like you're drinking soda, but the drink is all natural, sugar and calorie free. I personally cannot consume "fake" sugars. I get an intense migraine. I've found these drinks at all of the major grocery stores.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Use the search feature. This question is asked every single day.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As long as your body doesn't have a negative reaction to artificial sweeteners (as some people do suffer headaches and the like when consuming sweeteners), there's nothing wrong with them in moderation.

^^ this.
  • DanieleIsBatgirl
    Options
    Have you tried La Croix sparkling waters? They have carbonation and they come in a variety of flavors. It feels like you're drinking soda, but the drink is all natural, sugar and calorie free. I personally cannot consume "fake" sugars. I get an intense migraine. I've found these drinks at all of the major grocery stores.

That sounds amazing, I'll look for them next time I'm at Walmart! Thanks!
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Polar Seltzer is a pretty good alternative too! At least for me. They come in all sorts of crazy flavors like orange vanilla, granny smith apple, and raspberry lime--seriously all kinds of flavors. I really like it!
  • DanieleIsBatgirl
    Options
    @nikkinoellemary‌ Thanks! I'll try it!
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Looks like Diet Pepsi is also sick of the debate over the safety of Aspartame and are removing it from their product.

Diet Pepsi will no longer contain aspartame beginning this summer
    By Chris Welch
    on April 24, 2015 10:50 am

"Pepsi is getting rid of aspartame, the artificial sweetener and sugar substitute that has been an ingredient in Diet Pepsi for decades. Today the company announced that the change will come later this year. Aspartame will be removed from every Diet Pepsi brand, including the regular product, its caffeine-free alternative, and Diet Pepsi Cherry. "Diet cola drinkers in the US told us they wanted aspartame-free Diet Pepsi and we're delivering," a spokesperson said. Aspartame is being replaced with a blend of artificial sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame potassium, according to CNBC.

And while there's nothing natural about those ingredients either, they don't carry the same health controversies and unknowns that have dogged aspartame (also known as NutraSweet) for years. It's one of the most thoroughly tested ingredients in the world, but assurances from the FDA (and the agency's international counterparts) that aspartame is safe for human consumption have done little to shine up its reputation.

Can it cause cancer? Does it actually contribute to people gaining weight — the opposite purpose of diet cola? Can you taste it? Pepsi seems tired of these questions, and the company is going so far as to highlight that its diet sodas will no longer include aspartame. Bottles and cans will be labelled "now aspartame free." Pepsi's move is a sudden and significant shift; Coca-Cola still includes aspartame in its Diet Coke soft drink and hasn't yet announced any plan to phase out the artificial sweetener."

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I drink a coke zero 1-3 times a day.

And I reached goal just fine.

And I haven't grown any extra body parts that I'm aware of, ;)

They're fine