Healthy Fats

Options
Hi everyone!
I've been trying to take a new approach which is IIFYM. I used to just make sure that i was eating healthily but I've decided to change things up. since I've started, I've been really low on my fats. can anyone recommend some good fats that I can incorporate into my meals?
thanks in advance!

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nuts!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish such as: Salmon and sardines

Avocados, nuts, flax seeds, peanut butter

Oils such as olive oil, coconut oil

You can also eat a moderate amount of saturated fat from animal sources, such as whole milk, whole eggs, fattier meets like chicken thighs, beef etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy products, avocados, olive oil
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    nuts, nut butters, avocados, oils, cheese.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    You use to eat healthy but now you want to increase fats, is that what your asking? there's nothing unhealthy about fats found in any whole food source. As far as adding oils and fats to your diet I would suggest cold pressed vegetable oils and pretty much all animal fat sources.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    when I am low on fat for the day, I take it as a sign from the gods that I am meant to eat more cheese
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Anything besides trans fats and deep fried foods.

Full fat dairy, nuts, fatty fish and meat, avocado, oils, eggs.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    bacon&
    bacon&
    bacon&
    bacon&
    bacon&
    ice cream
  • taylorvanhooren
    taylorvanhooren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You use to eat healthy but now you want to increase fats, is that what your asking? there's nothing unhealthy about fats found in any whole food source. As far as adding oils and fats to your diet I would suggest cold pressed vegetable oils and pretty much all animal fat sources.

what I mean is that I was simply "eating clean" as most would call it. but now that I'm focusing more on macros, I've realized that I'm low on fats :) thanks!
  • taylorvanhooren
    Options
    when I am low on fat for the day, I take it as a sign from the gods that I am meant to eat more cheese

cheese <3<3<3
    I'm keeping that one in mind!
  • taylorvanhooren
    Options
    thanks everyone! I'll keep everything in mind :) i really appreciate it!
  • Lovefastball99
    Lovefastball99 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Lmao. This is beautiful.
  • neanderthin
    Options

what I mean is that I was simply "eating clean" as most would call it. but now that I'm focusing more on macros, I've realized that I'm low on fats :) thanks!
    Gotcha. Yeah, cheese is probably one of the best tasting sources to increase fats, well maybe just under a choice grade rib steak, bone in.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Fatty fish like salmon
    Steak
    Ground beef
    Bacon
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Ice cream
    Full fat yogurt
    Full fat cottage cheese
    Avocado
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Fatty fish like salmon
    Steak
    Ground beef
    Bacon
    Cheese
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Nut butters
    Ice cream
    Full fat yogurt
    Full fat cottage cheese
    Avocado
    Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    Nice list. :)

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and ice cream but I am with the nuts, avocados, coconut and olive oil, eggs and salmon contingent for the majority of my fats. Our brains need cholesterol to make new cells. It is just how much. An issues to consider with oils is their flash points. I tend to use olive oils for salad and low temperature cooking and coconut oil and even some butter for higher temperature cooking. As for bacon we have it on the weekends. We found that a local bacon Hempler's thick cut and lean was lower in fat than any of the Turkey sausages etc and maybe healthier in how it is processed. They even have a version that doesn't have the issues from the curing process that other cured meats have. I am glad you are making sure you get enough fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I pre-log and I always have to reduce the coconut oil I put in my smoothie. It's got plenty of fat, but plenty of calories too :o
  • puppykisser
    Options
    Honestly, the only bad fats are trans fats. Add in cream and butter, your tastebuds will thank you.