Help me. How can I stop binge-eating?

Options
Hi. I have been doing very well losing weight. Since I have started fitness pal I have lost about 11 pounds. For some reason I have started over eating these couple of weeks. I haven't really gained any weight. I do continue exercising regularly, but I worry that I will gain weight. I want to lose 20 pounds, but I know that I have to have self-control over my daily diet.
Anybody have tips on how to stop overeating?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been doing very well losing weight. Since I have started fitness pal I have lost about 11 pounds. For some reason I have started over eating these couple of weeks. I haven't really gained any weight. I do continue exercising regularly, but I worry that I will gain weight. I want to lose 20 pounds, but I know that I have to have self-control over my daily diet.
    Anybody have tips on how to stop overeating?

I am losing weight with a group of friends from work and I feel like I am letting them down of I do some thing like that. Maybe get some irl friends and start a group weight loss type thing?
  • Esther_Crosbie96
    Options
    sounds good :smile: we should lose weight together
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tend to binge if I have my calories set too low. Leave yourself one day a week to eat at your maintenance level. Or shave off 100 calories a day during the week so you have an extra 1000 calories over the weekend.
    Other than that, your willpower has to win out.
  • Esther_Crosbie96
    Options
    true... thanks for the tips :)
  • cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that overeating is different from binging. (Not asking you to clarify which is giving you problems, just mentioning it as food for thought)

If you find yourself consistently binging, the odds are good that the reasons are emotional/mental rather than physical, and it might be helpful to see a therapist that specializes in eating disorders. Even if you don't have an ED, talking to someone that understands food issues can be really helpful.

If it's just overeating, then setting goals and figuring out non-food ways to motivate yourself often works for me (and overeating has always been my Achilles heel). Obviously everyone has different things that inspire them, so it might take a bit to figure out what works for you, whether it be a day at the spa, new clothes, or something else.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @cheekitty‌ what's the difference in binging and overeating?
    I tend to go over my calories when I'm sick of being good and always hungry, then I fill up with chocolate and chips etc. The worst I've ever gone over in a day is 2000ish calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're getting plenty of protein and fats in your diet. They tend to keep you sated longer.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    @cheekitty‌ what's the difference in binging and overeating?
    I tend to go over my calories when I'm sick of being good and always hungry, then I fill up with chocolate and chips etc. The worst I've ever gone over in a day is 2000ish calories

I imagine she's thinking about the OCD type binge eating. I would agree that if a person has OCD they should seek professional help. I tend to think of binge eating as eating excessively in a short period of time. If you buy a dozen donuts and finish them off within an hour or two, that's binge eating.

Sometimes it helps not to buy the thing you binge on. Find something else to do. Or make the thing hard to binge on by putting it in the freezer or something.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are bingeing. You are over eating over your allowance and it will take some thinking on your part to figure it out. It could be stress eating, boredom eating, waiting too long between meals, or simply wearing out your "will power". When you have an idea why, you can build a new strategy. For instance if it is stress eating, perhaps work in some physical stress relief before you get home. For instance you can get off the bus a few blocks from home and walk off the work stress.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ... don't overlook the possibility that your exercise is prompting your body to demand more calories. Instead of overeating or binging, you may actually be giving your body what it needs (more nutrition). Also, given that you're not gaining weight, this seems like a real possibility. If you're eating clean, you might not be breaking as many rules as you imagine. Keep an eye on it ... if you're still looking to lose weight you may need to consider what types of exercise you're doing. Weight bearing exercise can help kick-start a stalled weight loss effort, particularly if you're doing mainly cardio. Good luck!
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    From MayoClinic.org:

You may have no obvious physical signs or symptoms when you have binge-eating disorder. You may be overweight or obese, or you may be at a normal weight. However, you likely have numerous behavioral and emotional signs and symptoms, such as:

Eating unusually large amounts of food
    Eating even when you're full or not hungry
    Eating rapidly during binge episodes
    Eating until you're uncomfortably full
    Frequently eating alone
    Feeling that your eating behavior is out of control
    Feeling depressed, disgusted, ashamed, guilty or upset about your eating
    Experiencing depression and anxiety
    Feeling isolated and having difficulty talking about your feelings
    Frequently dieting, possibly without weight loss
    Losing and gaining weight repeatedly, also called yo-yo dieting

After a binge, you may try to diet or eat normal meals. But restricting your eating may simply lead to more binge eating, creating a vicious cycle.
  • Esther_Crosbie96
    Options
    Sounds like me... I eat a lot when I am not hungry. Mainly a lot of almond butter and bread. I eat rapidly during the binge episodes until I am uncomfortably full. I frequently eat alone. It seems as if this is going out of control. I am depressed, disgusted, ashamed about my eating. I experience depression.
  • colls0325
    colls0325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me... I eat a lot when I am not hungry. Mainly a lot of almond butter and bread. I eat rapidly during the binge episodes until I am uncomfortably full. I frequently eat alone. It seems as if this is going out of control. I am depressed, disgusted, ashamed about my eating. I experience depression.

Try adding journal notes to your food diary of how you are feeling and then compare your eating with how you are feeling. Sometimes you can be stressed about something and not even know you are stressed. This really helped me to realize different emotions I was feeling and wasn't realizing. It became so obvious that the first thing I did was walk in the kitchen and grab something to snack on. I couldn't believe it took me so long to realize that I was responding to stress by eating. And, I don't mean big stresses...it can be little things that you wouldn't even realize could stress you out. Realizing your triggers is the a big step. The second thing is to not beat yourself up when you emotionally eat - that will only prolong the binge. For myself, I will probably always have moments where I do it, but I have learned to prevent it sometimes and shorten the length of it when it happens.