Vegan Foods for Energy

Options
What are the best vegan foods for energy throughout the day?
I have recently become more active, due to my new job, and I find myself so exhausted in the evenings.
I would like to maintain my energy. Any advice?

Replies

• WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bananas are something that I reach for when I feel like I'm lacking energy, often into a smothie with some dates as well, and water, lots of water.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    when I was vegan I found eating almonds, peanuts and cashews gave me boosted energy. Make sure you are getting enough vitamins in your diet to get rid of that tired feeling. Also, oatmeal is a lifesaver for a busy day!
  • ButterflyBrains
    ButterflyBrains Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Bananas are something that I reach for when I feel like I'm lacking energy, often into a smothie with some dates as well, and water, lots of water.

Bananas are my favourite thing to eat. I love them frozen, then blended up with some penut butter. Definitely going to try this.
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    FRiNADA wrote: »
    when I was vegan I found eating almonds, peanuts and cashews gave me boosted energy. Make sure you are getting enough vitamins in your diet to get rid of that tired feeling. Also, oatmeal is a lifesaver for a busy day!

Thanks, I definitely don't eat enough nuts and seeds. Probably because the high calorie content scares me a little. I should start eating more of this, besides the little pinch of walnuts I put on my salads.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just need to eat meat. If you really really don't want to eat meat, at least eat fish, seafood, eggs, dairy. And nuts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I find that beans and tofu/tempeh are great for energy, especially when combined with lots of vegetables. Don't be afraid of high calorie foods. As long as you don't eat excess calories, they won't make you gain weight.

Have you read much about vegan nutrition? "Vegan for Life" by John Norris and Virginia Messina is a fantastic resource. You definitely don't require animal products for energy and health.
  • Chikika
    Chikika Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Anything with peanut butter. Maybe make yourself some no bake peanut butter and oat bars for snacking while at work to keep the energy up. Or a fruit smoothy with peanut butter. Or just a spoonful of peanut butter. Mmmm peanut butter :smile:
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Chikika wrote: »
    Anything with peanut butter. Maybe make yourself some no bake peanut butter and oat bars for snacking while at work to keep the energy up. Or a fruit smoothy with peanut butter. Or just a spoonful of peanut butter. Mmmm peanut butter :smile:
    I love this answer. Anything for peanut butter!
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    Maybe you just need to eat meat. If you really really don't want to eat meat, at least eat fish, seafood, eggs, dairy. And nuts.

Meat actually doesn't give you energy, which is why most dieticians reccomend eating animal proteins in the evening and plant proteins during the day. Animal proteins are hard on your body to digest, and make you feel heavy and drowsy.
    I eat beans, seeds and peas for protein, and I get more grams of protein than most meat-eaters.
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    I find that beans and tofu/tempeh are great for energy, especially when combined with lots of vegetables. Don't be afraid of high calorie foods. As long as you don't eat excess calories, they won't make you gain weight.

Have you read much about vegan nutrition? "Vegan for Life" by John Norris and Virginia Messina is a fantastic resource. You definitely don't require animal products for energy and health.

I eat beans, peas and seeds for protein. I have never liked tofu and tempeh, for some reason.
    Also, I don't count my calories, anymore. I just focus on getting the right amount of nutrition. if I did, I would probably freak out, haha.
    I will have to look up that book. I do most of my reading on the internet. I only have a couple of books on the subject of veganism.
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    Chikika wrote: »

No worries there! Penut butter is my life. <3<3
    I eat more than I probably should be, haha. maybe that's why I struggle with my weight loss so much...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,950 Member
    Options
    I would have though supplying carbs in a vegan diet wouldn't need a road map. Increase calories maybe.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Make sure, that you get enough B12, sice you cannot get it from a plant based diet :) I use "Life - Vitamin B12 ~ Time Release". I store the tub in my desk drawer at work, so I will most likely not forget to take it. I feel MUCH more energetic since I take a pill every day (I was also getting kind of depressed, which can be an indicator for lack of B12).
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    I would have though supplying carbs in a vegan diet wouldn't need a road map. Increase calories maybe.

I have just been eating more, and I increased my banana intake, for the past few days. I haven't had problems with energy, since. :)
  • ButterflyBrains
    Options
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    Make sure, that you get enough B12, sice you cannot get it from a plant based diet :) I use "Life - Vitamin B12 ~ Time Release". I store the tub in my desk drawer at work, so I will most likely not forget to take it. I feel MUCH more energetic since I take a pill every day (I was also getting kind of depressed, which can be an indicator for lack of B12).

I will definintely look into this. Thanks!