How many calories do you burn?

Options
I just started working out on the 9th. Finally got a gym membership(yay)
Each day that I've went I've upped my calorie burn. I'm pretty proud of myself but I think I should do more.
This is what I've done this week.

Mar 09 - 164
Mar 10 - 190
Mar 11 - 221
Mar 14 - 275

Replies

• LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This depends so much on gender, age, weight, fitness level, and type of exercise. For me it varies depending on what I'm doing. An hour of aqua aerobics is around 480, an hour or so in the gym doing weights and cardio is usually around 550-650 (depending again on how hard I work, and what activities I do), and my swimming workout is typically around 700-900. My burns are higher as I'm quite heavy still, although I'm actually in decent shape and can push myself to do a lot (with swimming, I used to be a lifeguard and play water polo so I can easily swim at a decent pace for over an hour and I'm actually training for a swimathon at the moment).

Don't compare yourself against others, but simply do the best you can do and keep pushing yourself to improve. Great job joining a gym and getting active!
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I really love food and so if I want to eat extra that day, I work harder! Set a goal for yourself every day of calories burned and start with that. Everyone is different, especially depending on your weight loss goals, so maybe start with 200. My goal is to do a minimum 500 every day, most days I do more, but on a day when I'm just not feeling it I don't stop until I hit my goal. If you haven't already gotten a heart rate monitor I highly recommend it to help you get an accurate measurement and to really keep you going! Good luck!
  • riverariasong
    riverariasong Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 female and weigh 192. I usually do the elliptical and bike. I generally go for a swim afterwards as well but I wasn't sure how to calculate calories for that. I'm way out of shape so I am happy that I can bring it up and do more each day. I hope to get to 500 soon.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on the session, though my objectives are generally time or distance based rather than calories. The energy expenditure is something that I need to eat back to continue fuelling my training.

A short run will be about 500 calories, most sessions are around 800-1200 and a long session can be anything up to 2500 at the moment.

If you're using MFP as designed it shouldn't matter as you eat them back to hit your net target for the day.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Varies. My goals at the gym though don't revolve around burning calories. They are just a tasty bonus. Currently, I want to get stronger (so Stronglifts 5x5) and I want to be able to run a 5k (so Zombies,Run!5k).

My burns can be anywhere from 100 to 500 calories depending on what I'm working on that day.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I burned 1,400 running this morning...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. Any calculator is just an estimate. I did an hour of heavy lifting today, most likely that was somewhere around 250 - 300 calories. But again, I can’t be certain exactly how much, so I don’t lose sleep worrying about it. I eat what I think I need to fuel myself and I move on.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 500 per session
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I burn way less than others. I've been in fitness classes where some people's garmins say 500 -600 and I burn like 150 lol. However, I am very fit and weigh 110, 5'4 and they were taller and larger than me so that makes sense.
  • rachylouise87
    rachylouise87 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i am 5ft and 147lbs i burn between 150-250 per 25 minutes depending on the type of exercise
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I run primarily, and I burn ~95-110 calories per mile, depending on speed, elevation change, etc. So I'll usually get 300-700 calories back (daily) during the week, and up to 2000 on the weekend when I hit my longest run for marathon training. On the other hand, 25 minutes of rowing is only ~150 calories; this is why cross-training day makes me sad. ;)
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I burn between 230 to 600 calories a day depending on the duration, and type of workout that I'm doing.