do i reduce carbs in order to loose weight?..im.confused..

Options
Hi eveyone!!..ive been told so many different things regarding carbs..been told to cut them completely...to only have them when ur training..to only have them in the morning..pls help!!

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Hi clairescott19801. If you want to see plenty of in-depth information about lower carb eating there's a 'Launch Pad' at the top of this MFP Group community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group You will also find that group to be a non-judgemental place to discuss carb reduction, along with members very experienced with this WOE.
  • clairescott19801
    clairescott19801 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awww thnku for the reply much appreciated..have a great day☺
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with carbs. For weightloss alone it's just calories that count. Meal timing and carb timing is irrelevant regarding weightloss. There may be medical reasons or nutrition reasons you may want to adjust your macros but weight wise it is not an issue. I've lost 150 pounds and my diet is carb heavy (around 60% carbs)
  • clairescott19801
    Options
    Thnku...n well done!!.do u eat carbs before or after a wrk out?...
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    You're welcome. I hope you have a great day too <3
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    2 schools of thinking that will gladly collide when ever possible... cut carbs - loose weight or eat carbs and still loose weight.
    Both have got their interpretations, merits and truths.... important thing is for you to find out what works for you as opposed as to what does every body say on the topic.
    I tried cutting carbs over a long period of time in order to have my organism adapting and realized it was not for me - I need carbs and my body does not function properly without them - I am currently on 320 gr of carbs a day whilst still loosing weight / burning fat but increasing till i hit maintenance....
    Other persons will swear the opposit and it does function for them....

All this to say - to loose weight - it is not what you eat but how much you eat!
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you need to reduce your calories. Do you like eating a lot of carbs? If you want the new lifestyle to be sustainable you have to be able to keep at it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    In both cases the reason you are losing weight is because you are eating less calories than you burn.

You have to ask yourself one question if you are to choose one or the other: which do you see yourself following more easily? If you get hungry very often, and like foods rich in protein and fat, and don't mind cutting off foods that have more carbs than a low carb diet can handle, then probably low carb is for you. If you feel cutting out high carb foods will make you feel miserable, then it's probably not a good idea. Always choose the way of least resistance, whichever is easier for you to follow regardless of all the fluff and explanations.

I have lost 90 something pounds so far eating high carb, but I know someone who's lost 60 or something eating low carb, so you can lose on both. It's more of a preference thing than anything else.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    There's an interesting video here https://youtube.com/watch?v=NImxgj2I4_M with an interview of Dr Eric Westman, with 15 years' experience prescribing low carb diets. I believe he was (still is?) the president of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians.

Gather your information and make an informed decision, or try 'both ways' and see what works best for you. More and more medical practitioners are 'changing their minds' about carbs and fats.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend throwing away everything you've ever read or heard about dieting and simply focus on weighing and accurately logging all your food to a calorie defecit

Get that down and you can start to play with your macros if you want to
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thnku...n well done!!.do u eat carbs before or after a wrk out?...

It will depend on what you're doing. I'm a runner so carbs are my major fuel. I do nothing special for runs below 90 minutes but for long runs (over 2 hours) I will eat a more carb heavy either the night or a few hours before (depends on when I'm running). Post run I refuel on both Protein (for recovery and muscle repair) and carbs a lot is personal preference and what works for you.
  • clairescott19801
    Options
    Thnku everybody uve all been an incredible help...wish u all.well on ur weight loss jouneys n hope u have a great day
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    You are making this too complicated. You don't have to exclude foods or food groups and you certainly don't have to mess around with food or macro timing to successfully lose weight.

Pick a suitable rate of weight loss to get a daily goal, log your food accurately and completely, stick to your goal.

Would strongly suggest looking much longer term than just this weight loss phase - how will you eat for the rest of your life? If that's low carb or keto then go for it but make sure you actually understand it rather than just blunder into it.

There's some great sticky threads pinned to the top of this forum that are well worth investing time in reading.