Cup size??

Options
Hi just starting this today with a huge 5/6 stone to lose. I checked rice for calories and it states 1 cup = xxx how do we know what size /weight is 1 cup??? Sorry for being a bit thick here :-/

Replies

• sandrabowers779
    Options
    I have a 1cup measure which says that it is equal to 250ml / 9lfoz :)
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    In my opinion a cup is a bit of an unreliable measuring unit for some aliments.
    You can however find measuring cups in any kitchen ware stores!
  • ayelizzie
    ayelizzie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Fill the cup then put contents on a scale. This is the only reliable way to count it.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    simmscdon wrote: »
    Hi just starting this today with a huge 5/6 stone to lose. I checked rice for calories and it states 1 cup = xxx how do we know what size /weight is 1 cup??? Sorry for being a bit thick here :-/

What does it say for a portion in grams?
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Don't use cups. Cups is a measure of volume not weight. If you want to be accurate with logging weigh all solids and measure liquids. According to most rice packets in the UK 1 portion is normally 75 grams (uncooked) so I'd use that as a start. I normally use between 60 and 75 as a portion depending on the meal
  • billmcc827
    Options
    I was always taught a cup was eight ounces.
  • Jenskiski
    Jenskiski Posts: 67 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'll be honest, I use measuring cups/spoons unless my weight loss stalls and then I'll weigh for a bit to make sure that I'm being mostly accurate. The difference is usually negligible and I'd rather ingest 50-100 more calories over the day than obsess over whether my tablespoon is really a tablespoon.

The only thing I routinely weigh is meat because it is more difficult to eyeball that.
  • THEORCAKID
    THEORCAKID Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Whew. I thought this was going to be about bra sizes. Thanks to my manboobs I need about a 34c. :#
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    A cup of water is 8 oz. Liquid measuring cups are based on the weight of water. You could measure out a cup of honey, and it would weigh more than 8 oz.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    THEORCAKID wrote: »
    Whew. I thought this was going to be about bra sizes. Thanks to my manboobs I need about a 34c. :#

34 cups?? wow, that's 8.5L of boob ;) (sorry, couldn't help myself!)

I agree with the above posters in regards to weighing your food. Buy a scale, keep it on your kitchen bench, weigh all your food, measure your liquids. And always weigh the food raw. All nutritional panels (unless they specify otherwise) are referring to weights of raw food, rather than a cooked product.

Another issue with using cups is that depending on where the recipe/product comes from is that US 'cups' and UK/Aus/European 'cups' are actually different sizes. A US cup is 240ml, a UK/European/Aus cups are 250ml. The difference may not sound like much, but it adds up in the long run. It's one of the many reasons weighing is better.