strength or cardio or both

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
Hello Everyone!
I am 5'3 130 pounds and while I am at a healthy weight for my height its 130 pounds of pretty much fat. I was a competitive swimmer for 15 years but fell off a few years ago. I lost pretty much any muscle tone and gained 15 pounds in the last 3 years. I have a degree in nutrition and have been a chef for 10 years so i know what to eat and what not to eat. I am however confused on what exorcises i should be doing. I for sure want to lose about 10+ pounds of my fat but I am more focused and concerned with gaining muscle and strength. The number on the scare really doesn't mean anything to to me. Should I be focusing on on strength or cardio or would a combo of both benefit me. Should i lose the fat before I start building muscle? I find that because i am technically at a healthy weight its been harder to see progress. I also eat/drink back pretty much all of my exorcise calories is this necessary? thanks everyone.

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit will drop the 10 lbs. A goal of 0.5 lb a week, maybe 1 lb, would be reasonable. You can do it through diet alone, or exercise. If diet alone, eat back 50-75% of the exercise calories (MFP will add them to your day for you after you log!).

Start strength training. You won't build muscle mass in a deficit, but can increase your strength by quite a bit, and help preserve the muscle mass you have. Bodyweight exercises or finding a heavy lifting program to follow are great options.

Do cardio if you'd like to. It burns calories and many people find it enjoyable, stress relieving, etc. Some exercise routines are a bit of cardio as well as strength (like any bodyweight exercise video, it'll get your heart rate up and make you stronger).

Once you are at goal weight, you could look into body recomp or building muscle mass.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer both. A calorie deficit to lose weight, cardio to make the calorie deficit easier and because running works better than a Xanax for me, and weight lifting to preserve lean mass so that I lost mostly fat.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    A combination is best but as you want to concentrate on regaining muscle, I'd put your emphasis on strength training. Muscle memory from before should give you a good edge and if you haven't done any for a while there's a chance you'll be able to gain some muscle while losing fat (you lucky bugger!) if you keep your deficit small.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Beautifulbridgittlee7 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Both, like swimming, running, dancing,etc and weight training, cardio, healthy diet, aerobics, whatever you like. I find doing both helps because it makes my joints feel good, keeps me from getting injured, and I definitely notice some lean muscle and that I don't get as hungry. Plus the mood boost is awesome.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    They do different things so both for me. uits still ood to do some cardio as a calorie burn but also to keep your heart on good shape. The main emphasis in lone with your goals would be a lifting prog like strong lifts. Loads of female lifters on here, so just be patient and they will point you in the right direction.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I prefer both. Weights for strength and shaping and cardio for my heart, lungs, and more shaping.

Right now I'm doing Strong Curves. Other good strength programs are All Pro's Simple Beginner Plan, Stronglifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, and Starting Strength. There are many others but that should give you a start.
  • franola12
    franola12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can exclude either. Both are necessary to succeed.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    You'd probably do well eating at maintenance, with a higher percentage of calories from protein,
    emphasizing weightlifting for the muscle/strength gain,
    and do maybe 30 min of cardio a day just for maintenance, calorie burn, & heart health.
    This is one time I'd say to eat back 50-75% of your exercise calories (adjust so you're not gaining weight, just maintaining).

Here's a body fat calculator, so you can see where you're starting & what's healthy:
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy

And here's some basic info on body recomposition:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-basics-of-body-recomposition-how-to-lose-fat-gain-muscle-at-the-same-time/
  • bikerace99
    Options
    I do 30 minutes of each every day except Sundays. Do not wait to start strength training until you lose weight. Muscle tissue Burns food. So, the more the muscle mass the faster the weight loss.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like doing a split of both.
    From your goals, it sounds like an emphasis more toward lifting might work better for you, but I'll defer to those with more background.
    Best of luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Simple answer is both cardio and strength for optimal results - different benefits.

But everything starts with your goals and don't get the impression you have really defined them.
    Your ticker says you want to lose 20lbs but your post says you want to lose 10lbs of fat but you also say you don't care about the number on the scale.

Can you achieve the body you want at your current weight? Or 10lbs lighter? or 20lbs lighter? That's a big range at 5'3"!

What are your priorities and ultimate goals?
  • fishshark
    Options
    yea i need to update the ticker lol i would like to lose the fat and gain muscle i dont really care what the scale says. Im not sure if losing weight and losing fat are the same things. Id like to be 120 with muscle ideally

sijomial wrote: »
    Simple answer is both cardio and strength for optimal results - different benefits.

But everything starts with your goals and don't get the impression you have really defined them.
    Your ticker says you want to lose 20lbs but your post says you want to lose 10lbs of fat but you also say you don't care about the number on the scale.

Can you achieve the body you want at your current weight? Or 10lbs lighter? or 20lbs lighter? That's a big range at 5'3"!

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yea i need to update the ticker lol i would like to lose the fat and gain muscle i dont really care what the scale says. Im not sure if losing weight and losing fat are the same things. Id like to be 120 with muscle ideally

So goal is a more muscular body and 10lbs lighter.

Would suggest a small calorie deficit (0.5lbs/week).
    Adequate protein (1g/lb of LBM is common recommendation)
    For optimal results on a good heavy lifting program suitable for your experience.
    Adequate rest and recovery.

Cardio on non-lifting days to suit your preferences and other fitness goals (plus you also get to eat more. :smile: ). Personally I'm not a fan of HIIT on non-lifting days as there's a good chance of it impacting your muscle recovery from the lifting. As you were a swimmer and, if you enjoy it, then that sounds perfect.

As for eating back exercise calories.... It suits me very well as I have very big burns which I need to fuel on the day (cyclist). But TDEE method works as well. If you are hitting your weight loss goal then don't get too caught up in trying to partition or define calories as exercise calories.
  • my3kicks
    my3kicks Posts: 8
    Options
    When I first started about a month ago I started out doing about 45 min of cardio until I got myself use to that now for the past week I've been doing some light weight training I break it up to about 30 min in the Eliptical then at the end of my workout I walk at about a 3.6 mph pace with about 2-3 incline it has worked for me good luck
  • fishshark
    Options
    Thanks! I think eating back the calorie thing is the most confusing because everyone has a different approach. I have noticed for sure that when I am eating at a deficit and not eating my calories back from exorcise it stalls my progress a little bit. I feel better eating them back on heavy cardio days and on lifting days as long as I'm hitting my macros I'm ok. Who knew being healthy, fit, and in shape would be such a science.

So goal is a more muscular body and 10lbs lighter.

Would suggest a small calorie deficit (0.5lbs/week).
    Adequate protein (1g/lb of LBM is common recommendation)
    For optimal results on a good heavy lifting program suitable for your experience.
    Adequate rest and recovery.

Cardio on non-lifting days to suit your preferences and other fitness goals (plus you also get to eat more. :smile: ). Personally I'm not a fan of HIIT on non-lifting days as there's a good chance of it impacting your muscle recovery from the lifting. As you were a swimmer and, if you enjoy it, then that sounds perfect.

As for eating back exercise calories.... It suits me very well as I have very big burns which I need to fuel on the day (cyclist). But TDEE method works as well. If you are hitting your weight loss goal then don't get too caught up in trying to partition or define calories as exercise calories.
  • fishshark
    Options
    And thank you to everyone else who chimed in basically the consensus is to do a little bit of both. When I was a swimmer I burned so many calories It was something I never had to watch. Its so disappointing to have let myself get to the point that my endurance and overall body strength has diminished. I appreciate having so many people be so helpful during my journey!
  • cdlee05
    cdlee05 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I agree with both. I grew up playing hockey so like you I could get away with eating anything. A few years ago I was strictly cardio focused and lost weight but looking back now it wasn't the look I wanted. Now, I'm doing a good weight program and cardio and I'm liking the results, trying to get back to a guy that looks like a hockey player! Best of luck!
  • EDs3000
    EDs3000 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Both ;)
  • May33338
    May33338 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I like both. Cardio for calorie deficit, while strength training for a leaner build and more definition.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think as a newbie to a progressive weight training programme and with a decent amount of muscle memory you may be surprised how quickly you can achieve your goals ...good luck