feeling discouraged about zumba

Options
I bought some beginner zumba at home DVDs a while back and after finally getting serious about losing weight I (once again) pulled them out and started from the very beginning. I watched the instructions and followed along with the 3 beat break down.

For me, level one is too slow. Level two is doable but a little slow. But then it hits level three and I can't do anything but stand there and stare, feeling like a whale with two left feet. I feel like I have zero rhythm and the difficulty goes from 10 to 900. I really wish there was an in between!! >~<

I'd really like some encouragement. Does it get easier if you stick with it? Would it be better to start with an in person class? Are there other dance type exercises I could try before or instead of zumba?

Replies

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I look for zumba videos on YouTube at home. That's the way I do them. I've never gotten the DVDs. That way I do the ones I see I can follow along with... and with songs that I love. It gets easier, even if you don't follow exactly the steps, just keep trying. I just laugh at myself when they might do a turn and I'm just standing there like: wait, what just happened? And just keep trying. The good thing about YouTube videos, once I get the hang of a song or get bored of it, I'll just search for new videos. Add me if you'd like. :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Like everything else, repetition with correct instruction will increase efficiency when exercising. The more times you do something, the more familiar you get with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better I'm a dancer and dance teacher and even I get mixed up with some Zumba choreography. Just keep practicing and it will get easier.Since you're at home you also have the benefit of being able to rewind the video. Like others said try out some of the many Zumba videos on youtube. I also would also try out an actual class too.
  • dhampir_princess
    dhampir_princess Posts: 71 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you for the support and advice you guys have given me. I was feeling really down yesterday but today feels like a new day. I'm making better food choices again. And... while it may be a while before I jump back into zumba dvds, don't intend to give up on it completely!

I will definitely give youtube a look and see what I can find. And once I have a little more confidence I intend to sign up for a class. No idea how far in the future that may be though. ^^;;

Also, I want to thank you specifically billiebutton. The fact that even a dance teacher has a hard time with it sometimes cheered me up and allowed me to stop being so hard on myself for not being perfect right off the bat.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it takes repetition. I didn't do the DVD's but I do a Zumba class at my gym and youtube videos, and some moves take a while to get the hang of. Picking up new moves becomes easier after a while once you get used to it.

Hang in there!
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're welcome and I also wanted to add that once you're confident enough for class you will see others at class also fumbling with steps. I recently started taking Bollywood Aerobics and sometimes I stumble too but, I look over and see others fumbling around and we all just have a good laugh about it. Zumba is fun, don't take it so serious. It's not a dance competition with judges. Keep up the good work.
  • andst5001
    andst5001 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I take a Zumba class at a gym and I have absolutely no coordination or rhythm. I have 2 left feet as well! The key is to just keep moving, keep your heart rate up and have fun! You will eventually get into a rhythm, but just have fun with it. You're still exercising if you're moving, even if you're not doing the steps perfectly. :)
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I took zumba classes last year and I felt like the most uncoordinated person in the room. The instructor was amazing and the first thing he told the class was that you may feel goofy, uncoordinated, etc, but keep looking at him and just move. Don't worry about everyone looking at you because they are too busy watching him and trying to keep up with his moves. He was exactly right. I loved the classes but it got too pricey for me.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I use Zumba/dance fitness videos from YouTube. There are videos where they've tacked on their bloopers where the instructors mess up badly enough to have to restart and there are ones where there are tiny missteps. I love those videos because it shows them laughing at themselves and really drives home that yes, you're doing this to get your exercise in, but it should also be fun. If I mess up, so what, laugh and keep going.
  • kristen_bures
    kristen_bures Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm Zumba instructor and I cannot tell you how many times people tell me they have 2 left feet. I love that all my students are different. We are all going different ways and speeds. Zumba is about having fun. It's not about losing weight. Have you tried a live class? So many of my students connect in the live classes which makes it more fun.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Do the moves get demonstrated at all? I had a Zumba DVD when we had an Xbox 360 and you could have the moves demonstrated I think so you could practise them slowly.

I used to do a Zumba class where the instructor would stick to the same routines for a few weeks so you could practise, then she'd change a few and keep a few. Then I started doing a class at my gym and it was harder as she just did random routines and I couldn't always get the moves immediately so I felt I wasn't getting a good enough workout because of that.

Just try to do the same routines a few times and eventually you'll get the choreography.

Classes are fun though, so maybe see if you can find one in your area.