Should I add calories for partial breastfeeding and if so how many?

Options
Tatarataa
Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
In many weight loss programs people are advised to add energy for the breastfeeding. If fully breastfeeding you get more than if only breastfeeding in addition to meals (which I do I only breastfeed in addition-my daughter already eats meals and snacks-and i have the feeling she not always drinks but sometimes just sucks for comfort when breastfeeding her...).
I read something about 100-280 calories for partial breastfeeding. What do you think add the calories or not and if so how many? Maybe you should also know that I lost weight before not taking that into consideration...and that I am a smaller frame and lower weight so probably produce less than heavier people. How do you do it if you are breastfeeding?

Replies

• NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    There's an article here: http://www.babycenter.com/0_diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom_3565.bc

That says 500 calories is acceptable for breastfeeding moms. I've had a hard time tracking everything since baby came, but I am getting more exercise and eating well generally speaking.

The way I've figured my MFP is to up my level of activity setting-- so if I'm normally sedentary, I move it to be lightly active. Or higher if I want to be allowed more calories daily.
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thank you and great that you figuered it out for yourself!