why does the number on the scale keep going up??

Hey everyone I need some help. I started eating healthier (more fruits and veggies, watching portion sizes and calories) and walking about 30 min 3-4 days a week, but according to my scale I`m gaining weight!! Is this normal? If not can someone tell me what I`m doing wrong?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Gaining how much in what time frame?

Do you weigh everything you eat with scales?
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Too many calories.
  • I`ve been eating the amount of calories this app tells me too and no more
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    It doesn't look like you're logging your food here. If you start weighing your food and logging it accurately, you'll have more success.
  • Too many calories.

I measure everything.....guess i should be weighing it too?
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited March 2015
    meg5212015 wrote: »
    I`ve been eating the amount of calories this app tells me too and no more
    Your diary would say otherwise.
    As in you are not logging your intake. Which is the purpose of the website.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Too many calories.

Yes.
  • I log everything I eat and drink
  • hbwgonnabe
    hbwgonnabe Posts: 69 Member
    water retention?
  • TavistockToad
    I log everything I eat and drink

But you don't weigh it with scales?
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Ur diary only has entrys as of today.... how were u logging the other days?
  • ana3067
    I log everything I eat and drink

So you didn't eat for a week?
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Too many calories.

How are you measuring it if not by weight?
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    What I'm about to say is not even remotely based on science, but it did give me a way to visualize the process at a time when I really needed to be *patient* and trust the process. I was fully committed - had no intention of giving up - but was losing the drive. I was doing the right things, but I was not seeing results right away. Weeks went by with no movement on the scale (which was never my most important component of getting fit, but no movement at all was/is discouraging!) So ... I imagined that it was kind of like trying to stop a fast-moving train (all my bad eating habits and very little running for months) and then throwing that train into reverse. That doesn't happen all at once. I imagined the screeching of the train on the tracks as it continued to move forward, slower and slower, until finally it stopped and the gear could be shifted.

Again, this probably has no basis in reality whatsoever, but just thinking of it that way allowed me to give it a little time without jumping on the scale all the time and being disappointed. I don't think I would have quit; however, I could imagine that if the frustration you describe isn't assuaged somehow, it can be very damaging to the long-term goals of individuals trying to lose weight.

As the others have said, logging your caloric intake - everything - is a HUGE part of MFP. I personally don't weigh my food. Others swear by it. You need to find a system that works for you in the long run, but when it comes right down to it, it's about personal responsibility and accountability - and a lot of patience. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    OP deactivated. I don't understand WHY people keep doing that when people tell them honestly that they are clearly not logging properly and this is why they are not seeing results :/
  • TavistockToad
    ana3067 wrote: »
    OP deactivated. I don't understand WHY people keep doing that when people tell them honestly that they are clearly not logging properly and this is why they are not seeing results :/

Shocker!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member

Because they're not really ready to lose weight. They want an easy fix.

• ana3067

Because they're not really ready to lose weight. They want an easy fix.

Quite possibly. Maybe not being ready for weight loss also means not being able to put the blame and responsibility of results on yourself. I guess it would seem easier to hear "oh you aren't losing weight because you are on your period!" or something than to be told tha you are doing something wrong.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    I was about to respond, but when I went to look at her profile, she deactivated her account. I guess the suggestion to actually keep track of what shes eating and log her food was too much?

Ah well, not going to say one thing or another. Maybe she just isnt ready at the moment to do what it takes to lose the weight. I've been there. Hopefully one day she will get it that this does involve some amount of work and be ready to do this.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Wow :(