How to overcome carb addiction

Options
2»

Replies

50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just want to add this to the thread. The dopamine argument is one that is often introduced to these types of threads. A LOT of things release dopamine, including petting a kitten and pain.

The picture with food is a lot more complex than just dopamine release. We all have a very, very complex relationship with food, and the physiological response to food for most people who overeat probably pales in comparison to the psychological/behavioral issues involved. (Barring confounding medical conditions, of course.)

While I agree, I just wanted to bring up dopamine because it is a key player in real addictions. I'm not saying that the OP has an addiction. I don't know. Petting a kitten is not adverse to your health and I doubt that the reward centers are as great as when food - especially significantly rewarding food - is ingested, by comparison.

Whether an addiction or not, one of the most complicating factors for me is that I have to eat something. It's not like when I quit smoking. I could cut it out completely and there was no one around me to encourage me differently.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I see it like this. And I didn't read any responses so excuse me if I parrot what others may have said.

Eating at a deficit will leave you feeling hungry no matter what your macros entail. For me there is always going to be a level of hunger and temptation. Always...not so much for certain things like carbs only or fats only, but to break the bank completely because, well, I love food. Throughout my life I made poor decisions when I ate and those habits are hard to break. A deficit will also do things to the mind and make our brains act differently.

People absolutely can be addicted to food the same way one may be addicted to painkillers. There are a few exercises I have used in my journey and they seem to help.

One is called the PLATE PUSHAWAY. It is a pretty simple exercise that requires very little effort. Just keep your elbows in tight to your sides, using thumbs down and fingers straight and push the plate away from your body. Simple!

Next is the one that has been trending all over the world and I am sure you have seen it many times. FORK PUTDOWNS. Simply drop the fork after completing your calorie intake for the day and don't pick it back up.

No in all seriousness, cutting out carbs completely is not something I could ever do. I have tried and I turn into a psycho. Some can but not this dude. I keep them at bay, for body comp. And like how I can manipulate them to my advantage but I need them to function.

Takes time to learn what works for each individual.

Best of luck
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For me, eating carbs and processed snacks triggers more hunger, and overeating. I can keep my calories at a deficit for the day if I avoid too many carbs. I can stay on track better if I focus not only on how much I eat, but what I eat. I find it much easier if I just don't eat them at all. If I'm having a real bad craving, or hunger, I'll allow myself a whole wheat wrap, or a handful of pretzels, for example.