C25K with dog?

Options
MsOpus
MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
I am wanting to start the c25k and am wondering about taking the dog with me. He often pulls, follows his nose and generally has his own agenda. He's a beagle, and I'm wondering if his ADHD will interfere with me doing the C25K effectively.
Also any advice on how to leash said dog while running? I've heard harnesses work best while jogging with a dog, but my little escape artist has pulled himself out of harnesses and collars before.

Replies

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If the weather is good my dog always comes with me. I use a no slip collar on him and I have taught him to stay next to me. He pulls a little at the beginning but settles down quickly. He was horrible when we first got him, he was 7 months old and not leash trained well. He is a 85 pound Doberman so leash training was non-negotiable for my safety and his.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just use my regular collar with my dogs. The C25k is great because you want to work the dog up to running as well. Running with you is different than the dog running on their own.
    A few points - keep an eye on his paws. If it is winter, salt can bother the paws. In the summer, avoid the hottest times of day and hot pavement. I never brought water for my dogs. Don't forget a baggie to clean up. Often I do an out and back route and if there are no garbage cans, I'll stash the baggie until my way back and pick it up. I was able to train my oldest to go before our run, but my lab goes on every run without fail.

As for running itself, make sure you make it clear to the dog what you expect. Use a clear command to signal you are about to start running. For my shepherds, they are trained in a heel, so we use that. For my lab it is "let's go". It means "we are running, no stopping until I say so". If the dog wants to stop and sniff, I keep moving forward (doesn't have to be fast), give a "no" and pull the dog with me. I don't mean drag or yank the dog or keep running at full speed but I don't allow him to stop and sniff. How easy this is going to be depends on how easy the dog walks on a leash. With a Beagle, it's probably going to be a little more difficult to train this part. I also use a "break" command with my dogs. This means they are free to sniff around. I always allow them a few times to stop and sniff and to relieve themselves.
    I prefer to run with the dog in the heel position but some people like having the dog out front or whereever.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've never used it, but there is actually a dedicated "Pooch25K" version of the C25K program and app that might interest you.

http://www.poochto5k.com/training-programs

I used a front-clipping "no-pull harness" with my dog to train her to jog with me, but she isn't much of an escape artist. Just...easily distrSQUIRREL I'm sorry, you were saying?

http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-No-Pull-Harness-Medium-Black/dp/B0085XOHDU/
  • lilackisses
    lilackisses Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It really worked with my dog. She would pull insanely at the start but slowly it starts relaxing her. On the leash issue, since she was also an escape artist, we actually used both a harness and a regular leash. Soon she stopped trying but we still use both out of habit.
  • troytroy11
    troytroy11 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just use a regular leash and collar with my spaniel. We either go early in the morning or late at night through the bosque near the river. The jog happens on one of my recovery days so we only run at about 11 to 12 minute miles for 2.5 to 3 miles. Always keep the time of day, temp, relative humidity in mind and bring some water for him, watch for signs of heat stress. He will over some practice and training learn to run right next to you. Happy trails to the two of you!