Men lose weight so easy...

Options

Replies

• krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When my fiance gets on board with my lifestyle changes and exercise routine, he averages a much faster loss than I, and he too is 50lbs overweight. He loses 15lbs for every 8-10lbs I lose on average. So I definitely feel he has it easier - but he also works very hard. I don't discount his effort, but I am very jealous, haha. ;)
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think we do tend to lose it faster, but I'm 6'4" and started at 330 lbs, losing 2 lbs percentage wise was was like a 165 lbs woman losing 1, so the direct comparison doesn't really work. Also, at my size, it literally takes 20 or 30 lbs of loss before it's visible on my frame. Lot's of women I know can drastically alter their appearance with just a 5 or 10 lbs change
  • fattofit_fritch26
    fattofit_fritch26 Posts: 131 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As a 4'11 female on hormonal birth control, yes.

^^^ At 5'1" and being on birth control makes losing weight a b!tch...I weigh everything that goes in my mouth, workout 4-6 times a week (sometimes multiple times), eat at a really decent sized deficit and still have difficulty loosing weight.

Granted everyone's bodies are different...some women may lose weight super easy, some guys may have a hard time, but due to men having more lean muscle tissue than women (at least from what I remember from my anatomy classes in college) they do lose weight faster than women (especially at first) but weight loss in general is never easy.

Do I get irritated when my husband comes in and says, "Oh, I lost 7 lbs this week." and I step on the scale and have lost .7 lbs? OF COURSE lol...but it doesn't mean it was easy for him...he eats a deficit and works out, it's not like he sat on his butt and ate like crap.

So do I think it's easier for men? No
    Do I think men lose weight faster? Yes, but I begrudge no one their weight loss and think it's amazing at any speed or amount.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Oh, great. Another way us males can be resented for being male.

If people are resentful of you, it's probably down to your sparkling personality and taste in hats.

IDK, the users who complain the most about their inability to lose weight on here (like, repeated threads comparing the lack of help they get to the copious amounts of help females apparently get) are all male.

Would my losses to date have been easier if I were a male? Maybe. But I'm too busy worrying about my own process and results. The only time you should look in your neighbor's bowl is to make sure they have enough.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh, great. Another way us males can be resented for being male.

You might want to discuss this with someone.
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    v10j4y61ksi9.gif

• SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    when I hear a woman say men lose weight faster I assume she's lazy making excuses. you don't hear me complaining that I dont lose blood weight every month.

Hahahahahahahahaha!

God, that has amused me. Thanks! :smiley:
  • Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I personally think that men have an advantage when it comes to the weigh loss thing due to just naturally having a higher metabolism and not having to deal with shark week, and maybe a couple of other things*shrug*. But I don't think that will automatically make things easier for them. After all, while a woman's body functions a lot more different than a man's (and vice versa) we all are or have struggled with nitty gritty of it which is food and exercise.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If two people are using the TDEE method and targeting the same relative deficit, then men and women should have the same difficulty. The fact that the man has more calories allowed is meaningless, since he also has more calories DIS-allowed compared to maintenance.

The female perspective is apparently that it's easier on him since he eats more. A male perspective is that it's harder on him since he's got a larger caloric deficit.

I would argue that physiologically it is equal.

SOCIOLOGICALLY, it's probably harder on her. Women are conditioned more to overeat and pressured more not to, and judged more on it too. Consider for example meals in restaurants - there is no "female" sized order. If a restaurant meal is designed to be an "average" portion (and we know that it's not) then men routinely under eat and women over.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think generally speaking, men have a slight edge in the weight loss department. I would never say it's "easy" for them though.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it would be fairly equal. Aren't the bmr tdee etc only like 200cal or less different between men and women?

How much would a 1.8m tall 120kg man eat to have a 1kg per week deficit? How much more or less would a women eat?

Are we talking a glass of milk and a single slice of bread extra for the man or could the man have a 3 peice feed from kfc extra?

Depending on people's answer to the above question it seems more a height issue than a sex issue, other than most men being on average taller than women.

So should the title be tall people lose weight easier? As in taller men and women have a slight advantage over shorter men and women?

I don't know, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about how others lose weight differently.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    I would imagine it would be fairly equal. Aren't the bmr tdee etc only like 200cal or less different between men and women?

How much would a 1.8m tall 120kg man eat to have a 1kg per week deficit? How much more or less would a women eat?

Are we talking a glass of milk and a single slice of bread extra for the man or could the man have a 3 peice feed from kfc extra?

Depending on people's answer to the above question it seems more a height issue than a sex issue, other than most men being on average taller than women.

So should the title be tall people lose weight easier? As in taller men and women have a slight advantage over shorter men and women?

I don't know, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about how others lose weight differently.

Um, 200 less?? Try 900-1000.
  • Merkavar
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Um, 200 less?? Try 900-1000.

Am I misunderstanding or using this calculator wrong? All I changed was male and female. Same height and weight.

Looks like a 200 difference to me. Or am I reading it wrong? 2205 for a man less 2039 for a women equals 166 difference in bmr.

fi75jq9nhchw.jpg
    gc8bw062kk9m.jpg

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes, I do think weight loss is easiER for men, technically, but easier doesn't mean a walk in the park. It's probably easier to roll a 100-lb. stone up a hill than a 150-lb. stone, but they'd both pretty much suck.
  • Merkavar
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just changed my mfp profile between male and female. Calorie changed by exactly 200.

Seems to suggest what I was saying is right, that it's less a gender issue and more a height issue where men are on average taller than women.

Where did you get your 900-1000 cal difference from?
  • Merkavar
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Yes, I do think weight loss is easiER for men, technically, but easier doesn't mean easy. It's probably easier to roll a 100-lb. stone up a hill than a 150-lb. stone, but they both pretty much suck.

Yeah but imagine the calorie burned if you did that :)
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    Yes, I do think weight loss is easiER for men, technically, but easier doesn't mean easy. It's probably easier to roll a 100-lb. stone up a hill than a 150-lb. stone, but they both pretty much suck.

Well that's true. May need to replace one of my yoga sessions this week with the roll a huge freakin' stone up a hill method.
  • Merkavar
    Options

Well that's true. May need to replace one of my yoga sessions this week with the roll a huge freakin' stone up a hill method.

Shhh don't announce it to the world, you could sell it on tv at 3am and make money off the people who buy junk off tv.

You could sell them the Boulder in parts. Each week you send them another part of the Boulder.

Sell over shoulder boulder holders so people can transport little boulders so they can work out anywhere they have an incline.

Practically sells itself
  • LAWoman72
    Options

Shhh don't announce it to the world, you could sell it on tv at 3am and make money off the people who buy junk off tv.

You could sell them the Boulder in parts. Each week you send them another part of the Boulder.

Sell over shoulder boulder holders so people can transport little boulders so they can work out anywhere they have an incline.

Practically sells itself

OMG (snort)