elliptcal vs walking?

Options
My dr. has recommended 10,000 steps per day, walking. I have a very tight weekday schedule; ten hours at my desk, and another two hours driving. Doesn't leave a lot of time for exercise during the week. (twelve hours on my butt, four days a week). By the time I get home, it's nearly dark. My question is, does anyone have any idea of how the elliptical compares to walking? I'm guessing its a little bit more vigorous, in general. Any idea how many "strides" on an elliptical might equate to 10,000 steps walking? Doesn't have to be a "perfect" comparison, I just want to follow drs orders, approximatly....Also, for you walkers, approximately how far does 10,000 steps take you? Just looking for an average...

Replies

• X073201
    X073201 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For 30 min on elipitical, my fitbit registers a little less than 3k steps. However, when I walk for the same amount of time, I get about 6k steps. Sidebar: the calorie burn on the elipitical is 475 for 30 min and walking is half that. So get a fitbit and do a variety of movements. Cost is $129
  • sallyn04
    sallyn04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input X073201! 6K for 30 minutes! That sounds a little less daunting than I thought....that said, I know we are all different and I may have quite a different pace. I suppose I just need to get out there and see what I come up with! ;)
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Can you walk in place at your desk?
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    During breaks could you walk around the building, up and down stairs? Fit a 15 minute walk in your lunch break? Also I second a pedometer to track your steps.
    Also parking your car slightly further away meaning you have to walk to and from it?xx
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I walked off my first 75lbs, and burned the rest via elliptical and weights.
    I used to do 1 hour walks, and worked my way up to 30 minute ellipticals. Over time, I kept the duration the same, but increased the intensity. Per my heart rate monitor, I'm burning as much as 400 cals per 30 mins. Walking 4 mph in 30 mins was about 200 or so.
    I still enjoy 2 hour walks/hikes on weekends, as I find walking very therapeutic for the mind as well.

Like others mentioned, try to get in some stairs at work as well, if possible.

Best of luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I take a 30min walk at lunch ..that's 4-5000 steps
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It always takes people by surprise that getting/keeping in shape will take time during their day.

A five minute walking break every hour will add up to 30 minutes every day. As @rabbitjb pointed out, that is about 4-5,000 steps, and the change in activity will refresh your work experience. You probably waste at least 5 minutes every hour checking facebook or mfp, talking on the phone, etc.

10,000 steps a day will give you a decent level of physical activity and take you out of the over 50% of the American populationg that is sedentary. It doesn't address physical fitness, but you don't mention aiming at that.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! Thanks so much everyone, for putting what may seem obvious to some, into perspective for others (ME). I have a fitbit and get so frustrated at the end of the day when I realize I only logged 3000 steps.

I will now try walking for 5 minutes several times a day! I work from home and my office is in my lower level. I tend to go down stairs to my office in the morning, and not come back until its time to make dinner.

Thank you for the reminder that these little breaks will help me. I also have an elliptical and try to do that 3 x a week, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to register on my fitbit.
    I do use the arms so I don't understand why. Any ideas?

Thanks again!!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wear a fitbit one on my waist, and it does register with close the same distance as the elliptical indicates. How many steps I get depends on how fast I am going on the elliptical. I try to use the elliptical mornings that I will have a sedentary day, so I know I won't hit 10,000 otherwise. Or I use it evenings when I need extra steps.
    Getting 10,000 sometimes takes effort, but if I average about 10,000, I find that not only do I have more energy, I feel more positive.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    10K steps equates to about 5 miles for most people. At a solid, but not super hard, pace, that will take about 90 minutes. If you get a pedometer (many models sync with your smart phone), you can track daily steps all day. There are ways to add steps here and there that can add up:
    - Park further from the door and walk in (I am in the furthest parking spot from the door, which is nearly 125 yards each way).
    - Take regular breaks (set an alarm for 45 minutes), walk to the restroom or coffee room, but take a round about way (bonus, you meet and talk to people from work you wouldn’t normally run into).
    - Walk some during lunch (not too fast to work up a sweat, but enough to loosen up and feel refreshed).
    - Ask for a set of wireless headphones, and walk around your office/cube while taking calls.
    - Use the stairs instead of the elevator.

On a good day, I could get half of my 10K steps in during work, leaving a simple 45 minute session in the evening. The elliptical is fine, but it isn’t taxing the same muscles and you aren’t supporting your bodyweight in the same functional way you are while walking. And, I’ve always found a good walk, evening in the evening, much more enjoyable than a session on an elliptical.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The advice about taking breaks during the day and ways to do that are great. Sitting for 12 hours a day is awful for your health - clearly during the commute you just want to get to where you are going but those 8 hours will offer opportunities to move.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've done just over 10k steps today and my Fitbit says I've done 4.46 miles. I did spinning which was about 3500 steps, and the rest is just walking round at home, and I went into town with my family, just wandered about a bit. It's quite easy to get 10k steps really. If I stay at home (very rare) I do over 3k steps just running about doing housework, looking after my kids etc.

I'm on maternity leave now so it's easy for me to walk lots, I average about 12k steps, but some days do 18k, and I'll do more in the Summer. I go back to work soon and I'm a teacher so I'm curious to find out how many steps I'll do as I rarely sit down.
  • sallyn04
    sallyn04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your input! I am trying to get the 10,000 steps! Obviously, with a history of being "sedentary", I'm going to have to build up to it. I got close to 6,000 today, but am pretty sure I'll "feel it" tomorrow! ;) I love the suggestions for getting up from my desk now and then, and trying to add some steps to my work day. I do walk around a little bit, and each time I do, I will try to add some extra steps. I'm not trying to "excuse myself", but I also have the added issues of chronic pain which makes activity uncomfortable - that said, I also know that moving more, might help. So....here I am... ;) I'm going to give this my best efforts!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use the elliptical at the gym often. I have a fit bit. I work long hours in an office and have a long commute. I find the time. I get up early and go to the gym. When I use the elliptical (60 minutes + 5 minute cool down) I get approximately 6500 steps according to the machine. My fit bit does not pick up all the steps, so I pretty much trust the machine. I have actually counted the steps while on the elliptical, and it is pretty much spot on, of course it depends on how fast you actually step. I do love my fit bit, in spite of it being inaccurate. It is a great motivator to get me to move more. I have been getting between 18,000-25,000 steps daily for over a year now and have had my fit bit 2 years. I was doing no exercise at all when I began MFP 3/12/12.

You can do this! If I can do this (age 63) anyone can!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Lots of excuses.
  • the_blonde_longhorn_
    Options
    Hello sallyn04,

Last Nov. I weighed 169 pounds and my janitor asked me in front of my eldest son, how much longer I was planning to hide my pregnancy. To say the least, I was not pregnant and devastated. ATM, I decided it was time for a change. I began using the elliptical for 30 mins a day and worked up to double sessions, a full hour. By May, I weighed 125 and most people could not stop acknowledging my change. I enjoy the treadmill or walking with my husband but for me the elliptical is my new BFF. LOL. Also, I agree with X073201, the VivoFit arm band is a huge resource to me. I bought mine in October and I absolutely love it. As a teacher it tracks how much walking I do throughout the day and I have just now synched it with this app. With a 30 minute elliptical sessions and teaching, by 10 a.m. I have reached my goal and it automatically sets mine pretty high. Best of luck to you!
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical, I live in a cold climate, it's snowy and icy out, soon will be mud. For me it's easier, it's in my house, I turn on the tv or music and do it. Mine has levels, you can start with something easier less resistance, and it's less jarring for the knees too. I think just start doing something is a good start, it doesn't matter if you're walking, or elliptical,it's whatever is going to work for you. Leslie Sansone walk away the lbs videos are nice and a good easier start as well. Good luck, and try different things and see what works for you.
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just a thought, but I would think calorie burn would also be related to the amount of resistance you add on the elliptical. I am anywhere from a level 4 to 6 usually
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    If you have time for the eliptical surely you have time for walking? Real life.....less excuses please.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    jsimms435 wrote: »
    Just a thought, but I would think calorie burn would also be related to the amount of resistance you add on the elliptical. I am anywhere from a level 4 to 6 usually

When I use the elliptical at the gym I put it on the hill programme.

I also do intervals on it in PT sessions, he puts the level up really high and I have to go as fast as I can for about 30 seconds, slow down, then repeat.