I'm thinking of giving up coffee. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    but-why.gif
  • Frappleberry
    Frappleberry Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love the gif in the post above mine! I drink my coffee black and only drink coffee in the mornings. I've given it up before but I don't think it made any difference to my health at all. If you're only drinking one cup a day, find a way to work it into your calories and savour it!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would never give it up. I drink a lot less of it than I used to but that's mostly because my work switched coffee and the new stuff is gross.

I drink it with cream. I just make it fit. And I just don't agree with the people above about drinking it black... I will drink it black if that's my only option but I prefer it with some cream.
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to take baby steps on moving towards cream and no sugar. I put a shameful amount of cream and sugar in my coffee. 2.5 tbs cream and a couple big spoons of sugar. Tomorrows coffee I'm going to do one spoon and 1 tbs cream and just deal with it. Thanks for all the responses. : ) :#
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I would cut out the coffee and sugar, and just drink the cream.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I will never give up coffee as there simply is no reason too. I use Truvia and a little Quest Protein powder in my coffee. I am still maintaining so coffee for me is just fine.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Gasp! I think that is a terrible idea! Coffee is my go to drink. I drink it hot, cold, iced...espresso...with almond milk and an Equal packet.

Maybe cut the sugar and cream.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I would cut out the coffee and sugar, and just drink the cream.

Yup
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Brandzilla wrote: »
    I pile on the cream and sugar. I've tried cutting down on the cream and sugar but dammit I love it! I've cut down to one cup a day. For the past 4 days other than my one cup of coffee I've only had water and I've been eating cleaner. I had headaches (withdrawals? Sugar addiction?) for the first 3 days. I'm thinking of giving up coffee. Anyone done this? Thoughts on this? Am I crazy? I feel crazy for even thinking of giving up my love coffee.

I only drink Coffee with a little milk and can drink it black. I think I might give it up for entirely different reasons. I think it might be provoking my anxiety a little, want to take a break and see if the levels come down. I was told by a therapist that it can cause anxiety in some people.
  • kfno
    kfno Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love black coffee without sugar. But my goal is gain weight so im trying to take it with milk...
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Once you go black, you never go back. If you told me that three years ago, I'd think you're crazy. I suggest you invest in better coffee. You won't need creamer or milk. I promise. Good luck.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking coffee black for at least 10 years. I will never give up coffee. Ever. It was much easier giving up milk/cream. I never did take it with sugar.
  • dwcf47
    dwcf47 Posts: 1
    Options
    I switched to green tea with a bit of sucralose. Gave me that early morning sipping experience without the calories. I was a die hard cafe mocha girl and I truly don't miss it anymore. I could NOT drink coffee unsweetened without milk.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I tried quitting...cant do it.
    I have about 5 a day, seriously cut back on the sugar and usually use milk or a light cream.
    I tried to drink only in the morning, but I have to admit failure...just too damn good.
  • LetMeGetUsername
    LetMeGetUsername Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My husband had tried to give up coffee before but the cold turkey plan didn't stick. This time his doctor said to give it up so he can try to get off his blood pressure meds, and he did a very gradual withdrawal, and he didn't get any headaches, and now he doesn't drink any coffee at all. He did replace it with tea, but he actually likes the herbal tea better - he says it is just the ritual of drinking something hot in the morning to wake up. So I would concur with your plan to gradually decrease the cream and sugar, and then gradual decrease of coffee altogether if you decide to quit - if it is gradual enough I think you begin to stop missing what you've taken out. Good luck!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I like my cream and sugar with a little coffee. My husband got a Chemex coffee pot and with a decent bean, I can drink that black. Best brewing method, by far. And he gets to pretend he's a mad scientist - win/win.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Noooooooo! I couldn't survive without coffee!
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Get a grinder and grind your own coffee - it makes all the difference! I used to drink my coffee with loads of cream/sugar or flavored creamers but now I like it with a little half & half. When I can afford it I splurge on really good coffee (Stumptown Hair Bender is my FAVE) but even just the beans from a grocery store are better than canned ground coffee.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I love coffee with whole milk and Equal, probably more than any other food item. Account for it in your calories, and you don't have to give it up. If you give up too many items, you will end up miserable and break your calorie goals.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love coffee but I am also switching to decaf because I can't tolerate the caffeine any more. I use creamers -- sugar-free creamers that are 20 calories apiece. Definitely count the calories if you use creamer of any kind.