Post Run Snack

I am very curious as to what everyone's "post run snack" is? I have a few I bounce between, but it would be nice to hear other ideas. Training for a half marathon!

Replies

• trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Chocolate milk, a protein shake made with milk, or granola/protein bar. After a long marathon training run I like to make sure that I get some protein and carbs, but after that it's whatever I might be in the mood for. After shorter runs I stick with my normal afternoon snack of cottage cheese with chia seeds.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Peanut butter on a slice of bread.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    How long or how hard was the run? Anything less than 6 miles and I don't bother. A day of hard intervals or a long run, I like to get some chocolate milk into me soon after (good balance of protein, carbs, fat).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Oh but if it's a *really* long run (16+) I usually just go straight to beer...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Chocolate milk for me, and a bag of Haribos to share around.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    edited March 2015
    for a 8-12 mile (13-20K) run, I will drink a protein shake. If it is a longer run such as a marathon, I love stopping by McDonald's for a chocolate shake!! and @glevinso, yes!! BEER!!! @terpnista84, that is my pre run fuel :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I ran a half on Saturday and ate a banana (handed out by the race organizers with a bunch of other stuff) and a Quest bar that I brought for that purpose. They were also handing out chocolate milk and beer. I don't drink beer anymore, but there was much complaining overheard that for a St. Patrick's Day themed race the only beer on offer was Bud Lite.

Normally I just run before breakfast or dinner, so don't have anything extra.
  • a_kuhlman
    a_kuhlman Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you all for the ideas. My best option sounds like chocolate milk. I'm off dairy for "breakout" reasons. Lots of added hormones. So I might try the silk almond Chicolate milk.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited March 2015
    a_kuhlman wrote: »
    Thank you all for the ideas. My best option sounds like chocolate milk. I'm off dairy for "breakout" reasons. Lots of added hormones. So I might try the silk almond Chicolate milk.

Almond milk has almost zero protein. It's glorified dirty water. The ideal post-run snack has mostly carbs and a little protein. Maybe soy milk or a soy protein smoothie?

Me, I go protein bar/Clif bar if I run before work or ice cream if a weekend long run. :)
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    I usually finish my runs before a meal, so I eat a Quest bar (which fits in to my calories and helps my poor, poor neglected protein macro that I'm trying to cater to more these days) and then I have my meal which is usually pretty balanced with carbs and protein. :)
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    Oh but if it's a *really* long run (16+) I usually just go straight to beer...
    ^This. If it was a short run and I'm hungry I usually go for low fat greek yogurt with a tangerine in it. That is my go to snack which makes me happy but I see you are off dairy. Pickles can be a good option if you are just looking to recharge your sodium levels.
  • qn4bx9pzg8aifd
    qn4bx9pzg8aifd Posts: 258 Member
    For a while, chocolate milk was my mainstay...

I ultimately began going with lowfat non-chocolate milk and unsulfured dried peach slices (of all things (for some reason, I began craving them after major calorie burns, and loved eating them with milk))...

And on occasion, I've gone for chocolate ice cream with chopped nuts...

Tonight, I actually did something for the first time -- I had lowfat non-chocolate milk followed by some Silk Dark Chocolate almond milk (which allowed for me to enjoy a taste of chocolate, and ingest some carbs, and in liquid form, while also availing myself of the product's non-trivial amounts of Vitamins B12, Riboflavin, D, E, & C, along with the calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and Vitamin A).
  • a_kuhlman
    Thank you again!! I am enjoying the responses. I'll be checking the organic isle for soy chocolate milk to refuel after a long run. @glevinso I agree with you, I don't need to refuel unless it's over 6 miles. My body does need something then. I'm on a higher carb/fats meal plan bc I'm weight lifting as well. I cannot lose this muscle I've worked very hard to achieve in a year. Keep the responses coming. I can use all the help I can get. I'm not the best runner, so tips and even encouragement is always welcome.

• a_kuhlman
    @curt911 a protein shake is exactly what I need. Since I cannot drink my favorite ISO whey bc if the milk products. I'm ordering a plant based protein. I'll add a scoop to a smoothie full of carbs to refuel after very very long runs. Thanks!!
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Yesterday I had corned beef & cabbage on a flax/whole wheat pita. Today will be turkey breast,lettuce & cheese in another pita.