Weight Loss and Baby Loss

Options
My journey is not over but I still wanted to post this in the Success Stories category. I guess I have been overweight my entire life. When I was younger (middle school and high school) I thought I was very overweight, but looking back now I think I was just slightly overweight. But as an adult I really gained a lot.

In January 2012 I decided to get it together. I somehow found MFP and it changed my entire life. My starting weight was 208. By September 2012 I was down to 148. I felt awesome. During this time period my husband and I were also trying to get pregnant with a second child. We already had one little boy. In May 2012 I found out I was pregnant, but at my first Dr. appointment they told me it was a Blighted Ovum. Which means there is a gestational sac but no fetus inside. I had to take pills that caused my body to miscarry. I was very sad and disappointed but I still kept on with my weight loss.

As soon as I could, we started trying to pregnant again and I actually got pregnant right away. We found out we were having a girl and we were so excited. My due date was June 27, 2013. On June 16th (Father's Day) I didn't feel right and I couldn't remember the last time I felt my baby girl move. The next morning I was given the devastating news that there was no longer a heartbeat. So on June 17th at 38 1/2 weeks pregnant I gave birth to a perfect and beautiful still born baby girl we named Jozie. To say this is the worst thing that can happen to someone is an understatement. If you have not lost a child you will just never know.

With how terrible this experience was my husband and I both wanted to start trying for another child as soon as I could. So in September 2013 we started trying again. 10 months later I found out I was pregnant. But unfortunately at 7 weeks, I miscarried. Again we started trying as soon as we could. I would have actually been due in about 2 weeks had we not miscarried.
Each month I find out I'm not pregnant has been agonizing. Secondary infertility has added an entire new level of grief on top of grieving over my daughter.

In November 2014 I decided to get it together again. I thought maybe if I am losing weight then it won't be so devastating every month I'm not pregnant. And I was right! Don't get me wrong, I still get really sad and angry every month, but it isn't the end of the world for me anymore like it used to be. Since then I have lost about 25 lbs. My current weight is 172.

I write this in hopes that I can reach out to other baby loss mamas (and daddies) who need any help or support. You are not alone!

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced the losses you have, but I wanted to say how admirable it is that you keep on taking care of your self and trying to grow your family. so much respect for that! Take care and here's hoping you are all blessed soon!
  • gentryatkinson
    gentryatkinson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here are my stats:
    Height: 5'4
    SW: 208
    CW: 172
    GW: 135

Weight 208+
    yxgus9jotb56.jpg

Around 170
    gip6w301apc1.jpg

5sflvestxyov.jpg

Back up to about 190
    o6i0y5i5a4ym.jpg

And today at 172
    0kk0k580duo0.jpg
  • gentryatkinson
    Options
    Thank you suruda.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I dont have kids yet, but ive always wanted them and i just turned 30. Turns out its not as easy as everyone makes it look. Cherish your little boy. My thoughts are with you. I admire your strength and it sounds like youve got a great man in your life.
  • keishakylejohnson
    keishakylejohnson Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Right now I am going through sometime very similar at the moment. I don't currently have any chidlren, but I miscarried in July 2014 and right now having complications and possible blighted ovum. so your story hits home with me, thanks so much for sharing with us! You are doing amazing and look absolutely gorgeous!!
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being brave and sharing your story! I am so sorry about the tough road you have been on. I also decided to get serious about weight loss after two miscarriages. You are not alone, and I wish you all the best!
  • Laviegurl25
    Laviegurl25 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Losses are devastating. Good for you for picking yourself up again. My heart breaks for you and your losses. But am truely inspired by your motivation and commitment. You look great!
  • kerrifair
    kerrifair Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I am so sorry. I have lost 3 babies... my first was at 35w3d. I feel your pain and sorrow. I am sending you a friend request. Hugs!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. You've done an amazing job-great commitment!
  • gentryatkinson
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's hard to put yourself out there. Hugs to all who have lost a baby, no matter how far along. And hugs to those waiting to feel that baby inside you.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on all you've achieved. I'm so sorry for your heartbreak but admire your resilience. The same goes for the others on this thread who have experienced loss, too.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Wow how brave, strong and beautiful you are. So sorry for your losses. I too have an angel baby and she inspires me to keep going for the two kiddos I have here with me. Be strong and healthy for that little man of yours! Many prayers for your family, God bless!
  • UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. You look great in your now pic
  • momamia3
    momamia3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have 2 healthy boys 8 and 6 yrs.. and had one ectopic pregnancy (3 yrs ago) that was very sad and scary for me.. I could only imagine what you went thru.... im so sorry for your loss... .. i was working on my weight before all this .....After the ectopic I gained weight (30lbs) and had a hard time getting motivated to do anything... so now I am working hard to get my health back under control.... since Feb 1 2015. I have lost 12 lbs .and not stoping until I get to a goal weight. ... a healthy happy me is a happy healthy mom for my boys....... .
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss. It is very hard, I had a son pass away in 2005. You never fully get over it but healing can happen! It sounds like you are doing a good job of taking care of yourself for you & your family!
  • cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I could not leave this post without commenting. You are a very brave woman, I am sure mostly because you have to be. I had one early loss and then 2 years of fertility treatments, and 2 more years of just "not getting pregnant" until I was finally pregnant with my second child. I cannot imagine the pain you have (and continue) to endure. I just want to say I am very proud of you for taking control of something you CAN control...that was my focus when I found MFP, I wanted to shift away from fertility and focus on getting healthy. I haven't lost much to speak of but I haven't totally given up yet either.

I pray that if you are still wanting another child that you are blessed in Gods time. <3
  • nzoma
    nzoma Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Great!! I have a 4month old baby and its been a disaster trying to loose weight! Keep it up
  • katiebrew
    katiebrew Posts: 103 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you for your post.. I can sympathize with the hurt and anger of each month passing. I lost two pregnancies before getting pregnant with my son (born Sept. 2013). Although they were both early losses, it hurt and I can only imagine the immense pain and sorrow your family had to navigate with the loss of Jozie and your other angel babies. I will keep you in my thoughts and will be praying for your rainbow baby to soon find his or her way to you.
  • gentryatkinson
    Options
    Thank you thank you to all of your comments. You are all so kind and loving with your words. Much love to all of you. I hope I have helped even one person feel like they aren't alone.
  • jenwen1
    jenwen1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Feel so bad for your loss. I hope things work out for you. Well done on your commitment to eating healthy. That's some journey
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!