How to weigh a slice of cake?

Options
melg51
melg51 Posts: 37 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
After a week and a bit on here I've been influenced into purchasing some digital scales to hurry my weight loss along.. Hurrah.

But I have a question. So I am saving some calories back today so I can have a slice of cake later. This cake is homemade.. (by someone else) How would you say is best to record this?

Should I use the scales?

Replies

• melg51
    Options
    Any answers would be appreciated
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Can you get the recipe and put it into the recipe builder? If not, you're just going to have to try and find the closest thing in the database, which is going to be an estimate in any event because you can't know if the recipe matches, so weighing it won't be as helpful as if you knew you had the right recipe, but an estimate's better than nothing.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    If it's an entire cake just guesstimate how much you take. 1/10 of the cake 1/16 of the cake. If your friend doesn't mind you can even cut it into x-amount of pieces and eat 1 (or 2!)

If it's made from a box you can look that up on MFP or google. Even if it's made from scratch you can get a decent idea of calorie content by looking in the database. (Don't forget the frosting!) At least if your portion is correct you'll be close. Enjoy!
  • m7mdth
    m7mdth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would check the same cake made in bakery or search for a similar type of cake. But it won't be that accurate since a slice is not a fixed amount.

but I have an idea

Send the cake to me .. I can tell you after eating it :p:#
  • melg51
    Options
    Thanks guys. Just discovered the recipe builder .. that thing is genius!! Thank you!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Input into recipe builder.....weight the whole cake, portion out a certain weight!

That's what I do anyway
  • melg51
    Options
    m7mdth wrote: »
    I would check the same cake made in bakery or search for a similar type of cake. But it won't be that accurate since a slice is not a fixed amount.

but I have an idea

Send the cake to me .. I can tell you after eating it :p:#

That baby is mine!!
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of recipe builder, can any of you share the link?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    chubbard9 wrote: »
    I've never heard of recipe builder, can any of you share the link?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/box
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Now I feel silly, I've been off/on this website for years and never realised that was on here.

Thank you!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    If someone else is making it, I pick a bakery listing for something similar or add in a recipe that I think is close. More important question what kind of cake???
  • melg51
    Options
    If someone else is making it, I pick a bakery listing for something similar or add in a recipe that I think is close. More important question what kind of cake???

It's a victoria sponge so don't think there can be too much variation thankfully :)

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    melg51 wrote: »

It's a victoria sponge so don't think there can be too much variation thankfully :)

Enjoy it, log the best you can :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I would expect a Victoria sponge cake to have about the same number of calories as a regular sponge cake. The big difference is that the Victoria sponge cake is made with confectioners sugar instead of granulated sugar. By weight, there is almost no difference in the calories of the two types of sugar.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have Victoria Sandwich logged in my recipe builder, its 384 cals for 1 slice (my cake has 12 slices, and its truly wonderful and worth every calorie lol)