I'm thinking of giving up coffee. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• BackbeattheFire
    BackbeattheFire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to kick coffee because I spend way too much money on it [I have a starbucks near by] and I have braces-so I'm more prone to uneven staining when they come off. I'm currently working on my Masters, so the struggle is real.
    However, when I do drink it I use Wholesome Sweetener USDA organic stevia [which is zero calories]. I don't think there is a differences taste wise and it breaks down better than sugar [you need only 1-2 packets]. If I add milk, I use Silk unsweetened almond milk [only 30 cals a serving]. They have unsweetened in vanilla flavor too for the same calories. It gives your coffee a really good nutty flavor. I tend to add cinnamon in mine too. Lastly, if I do use creamer I use international delight for about 35cals a serving. My coffee is normally at the low end (30cals) to (70 cals if I go the creamer route with no milk).
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Coffee that isn't black =/= coffee. Learn to like it black, and you'll be set.

Ah This^
    It's a sacrilege to waste a good coffee with cream and sugar!
  • ChicagOH
    ChicagOH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love ONLY black coffee, and you can too! However, I don't see the problem with one laced up cup a day. What the heck. You've got to live. There is zero health benefit to giving up coffee, and documented health benefits to drinking the appropriate amount. If you can't learn to love it black, try Vanilla Soy milk in it. Sweet and creamy.
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I switched to black tea relatively easily - less jittery and still able to sleep when having a cup after 1:00pm.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have one cup of coffee a day, black no sugar. It's purely theraputic. At one stage, years ago, I was drinking upwards of 10, sometimes even 15 espressos a day. Generally within a 6 hour period. Detoxing from THAT addiction was an experience... I feel so sorry for my housemates at the time.
  • redsk
    redsk Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Brandzilla wrote: »
    I pile on the cream and sugar. I've tried cutting down on the cream and sugar but dammit I love it! I've cut down to one cup a day. For the past 4 days other than my one cup of coffee I've only had water and I've been eating cleaner. I had headaches (withdrawals? Sugar addiction?) for the first 3 days. I'm thinking of giving up coffee. Anyone done this? Thoughts on this? Am I crazy? I feel crazy for even thinking of giving up my love coffee.

I don't want to give up coffee but if you think it will help go for it. I changed how I drink coffee and that helped. I only have it with skim milk and a little bit of sugar at home. If I am at a coffee joint like Starbucks I get a double espresso macchiato with a little bit of sugar. I would advise you wean yourself off caffeine in increments to avoid any fits of withdrawal.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups in the morning and then switch to tea in the afternoon. I'm getting ready to try English Breakfast tea and enjoy Earl Grey. I was drinking Green tea but got a bit burnt out. I have a pretty boring, monotonous job and it's pretty easy to fall asleep where I sit. lol.
  • BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I drank coffee and creamer ALL day and decided last week to cut it out. 4 days of killer headaches and I felt so tired, but now I allow myself 1-2 cups of black coffee a day and its tasting better each time. I couldn't say goodbye, and my trainer said it was fine
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I keep coming back to this and all I can think every time I try to type is

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYY
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    No i would not give up coffee. Just wouldn't do that to myself. I love it too much

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,901 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Coffee is the elixir of the gods that keeps me from committing various degrees of violence in the morning. The only way one should take is it backity black black.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Coffee is the elixir of the gods that keeps me from committing various degrees of violence in the morning. The only way one should take is it backity black black.

racist.

just kidding- I drink it black too.
    -
    and also- coffee shall be drunk- because the idea of going to prison for life doesn't appeal to me.

For the same aformentioned reasons @tat2cookie‌ has stated.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    im not a fan just because of the caffeine. if you do drink coffee, it should be avoided for the first couple of hours after you wake up (even tho this is when most people need it the most) since it messes with the hormones that naturally wake up your brain
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    NEVER! Good quality coffee in mass quantities
  • naziakarim
    Options
    you need to give your self some hope- don't give it up
  • hal1964
    hal1964 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Coffee is good for you. The government says so and we know what that's all about. New dietary guidelines from health.gov.

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/10-chapter-5/d5-5.asp

Here is a quote. ..."Currently, strong evidence shows that consumption of coffee within the moderate range (3 to 5 cups per day or up to 400 mg/d caffeine) is not associated with increased long-term health risks among healthy individuals. In fact, consistent evidence indicates that coffee consumption is associated with reduced risk of type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease in healthy adults. Moreover, moderate evidence shows a protective association between coffee/caffeine intake and risk of Parkinson’s disease. Therefore, moderate coffee consumption can be incorporated into a healthy dietary pattern, along with other healthful behaviors."

This report did not state its sources for its proof of evidence however.

Do the research. It has minerals in it like potassium, etc. I also read somewhere that 3-5 cups is supposed to reduce cardiac plaque in one study.

I drink it with one packet of Truvia and a splash of fat free milk. I sometimes skip the milk altogether.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    BigT555 wrote: »
    im not a fan just because of the caffeine. if you do drink coffee, it should be avoided for the first couple of hours after you wake up (even tho this is when most people need it the most) since it messes with the hormones that naturally wake up your brain
    LOL WUT
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Personally, I think coffee is vile, but I take it like medicine for...um...a disgestive problem.

But quitting coffee even though you love it and when there is no specific medical reason just makes no sense to me. I'm assuming you are here to lose weight and that you think the calories of the stuff you add to your coffee may be a problem. I would look at the rest of your diary and see if there is something else you could eliminate or cut down on that you love less than your coffee, or just reduce the amount of coffee you drink so it fits in your calorie budget.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    In college I drank coffee round the clock and I noticed it was really starting to mess with me if I didn't drink it, so I sucked it up and "quit" for 4-6 months...after the initial slump and feeling like *kitten* I adjusted to it. And then after 5 months or so I went back to drinking it again, but just one cup a day. Now I still only have maybe 1-2 cups throughout the day and that's it. Usually it's a coffee in the morning and tea in the afternoon.

I drink it black though so never worried about calories, for me it was more being too dependent on the caffeine haha.

The good thing is if you cut it out for a while your tolerance goes way down so now 1-2 cups has the same effect on me that 5-6 would have had in college, hah! I certainly save money on coffee now :)