Why do so many people hide their food Diary?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My diary is private for the same reasons I don't use facebook or twitter or other types of social media. Ok maybe not just for all the same reasons (I have a very specific reason for not using facebook) but I am just not the kind of person who likes to share all that kind of stuff. And reading how others on here have gotten unsolicited comments on their diaries make me glad I have it set the way I do - I have enough harassment to deal with at work, I don't need it here too.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    My diary is open to friends, and I do look at friends' diaries for a couple of reasons - 1) because they have similar macro splits to me and I'm interested to see how they go about meeting them, 2) yummy food ideas (like if I see that they had something I like the sound of I'll ask for the recipe), 3) I have some friends in ED recovery and I want to make sure I'm not 'liking' a restrictive day (there's a big difference in being a few cals under and a few hundred!), and also to provide encouragement where I can see that they are trying really hard to meet their calorie allowance.

See that would be my reasons for looking to and I don't get why it's called creeping in much the same way as I don't get why private diaries are assumed dishonest. If your diary is open then you are also open to the obvious fact that people can/will see it and the sometimes dumb comments this can bring.

Having said that I rarely look now. They're all grown ups looking after their own. Closed/open I don't give a damn. Just do what needs to be done for you and if it stops working change it.

To many people use a diary as some sort of backward source of guilt for "motivation" when it is just a tool for collecting data.

The tool is flexible and you can get whatever you want out of it. Nothing wrong with that

• UrnAsh_
    UrnAsh_ Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just do. No reason.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    My diary is open to friends, and I do look at friends' diaries for a couple of reasons - 1) because they have similar macro splits to me and I'm interested to see how they go about meeting them, 2) yummy food ideas (like if I see that they had something I like the sound of I'll ask for the recipe), 3) I have some friends in ED recovery and I want to make sure I'm not 'liking' a restrictive day (there's a big difference in being a few cals under and a few hundred!), and also to provide encouragement where I can see that they are trying really hard to meet their calorie allowance.

See that would be my reasons for looking to and I don't get why it's called creeping in much the same way as I don't get why private diaries are assumed dishonest. If your diary is open then you are also open to the obvious fact that people can/will see it and the sometimes dumb comments this can bring.

Having said that I rarely look now. They're all grown ups looking after their own. Closed/open I don't give a damn. Just do what needs to be done for you and if it stops working change it.

To many people use a diary as some sort of backward source of guilt for "motivation" when it is just a tool for collecting data.

I like that a lot. Very well said. Actually, I could go back and bold your second paragraph too.

I also get your point about creeping. I'm guilty of using that word. I do it more as a joke. I refer to myself as "creeping" a friend's facebook pics if they put up an album even though we are friends and I'm doing exactly what they expect people to do when they post those pics. I'll tell a friend "oh I was creeping your photos and….". Just a habit I guess. I don't really consider it creepy.

Heh...I hate the words derp and lurker too! You don't use them do you? :D

I'm not savvy with the social Internet stuff (obviously).
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It is abit big brother isn't it? I meen my family and friends don't know exactly what I am eating but myfitnesspal friends do!! It doesn't really bother me but no one has really judged me.. I am not trying to lose weight I go from wanting to maintain to wanting to gain abit back.. My fizzy drink consumption is terrible my friends on here also know anymore than 5 Pepsi max and I am literally flying!! :p of course my friends and family also know this ;) but yer anyway I am not really bothered if I was my diary would be closed though..
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I don't even log food on here. I use the site for its fitness and exercise features. I also use it to keep track of my weight and measurements. This site is just a tool with many features that people can use to meet their goals. What surprises me is that people think that everyone else is here for the same reasons they are. Which is just ridiculous.