Ladies, Can you cross your legs?

Options

Replies

• caffeinified
    caffeinified Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is not a silly thing! It's one of the things I realized I couldn't do when I was at my heaviest (over 200) and now I can do easily (30+ pounds lighter) (and counting!). I love that I can cross my legs again. You will get there too!
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Lourdesong.... you must have nice long legs because although I can easily cross my legs, my ankles are no where near each other, definitely the dangling! lol... then again, I'm barely 5'4, so maybe that has something to do with it... ?
    @JoRocka.... Love that you call them "tree trunk legs".... that's what I've always called mine! I almost never wear shorts, but opt for short skirts instead.... :smile:
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Great thread :) I think we tend to forget the little bonuses along the way. I can't wait :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    kiwiOT wrote: »
    Im looking forward to walking/hiking/running without my thighs rubbing together... That would be super.. lol

not for nothing- but you may ALWAYS have rubbing thighs.

So- just a fair warning- you may still have to deal with the problem- it's certainly LESS of an issue- and you can get away with capris pants and not shred them- but- le sigh- some of us- we were born with fabulous tree trunk legs. That eat shorts. LOL

Very true. Also, if you have loose skin in the inner thighs it may not tighten up completely. I have been skinny and I have been very fat and my thighs have never not touched, but I only had chafing issues when I was overweight. Apparently enough air was getting in when I was slimmer that the skin stayed dry.

Now, if I could just do something about the loose skin that is giving me a camel toe below the camel toe when I wear my swimsuit. I'll probably buy a tankini type that includes longer shorts for fun beach wear, but it isn't a good suit for lap swimming.

Oh, to answer the original question: I can cross my legs now, but it is kind of hard to hold them that way. Getting easier, though!

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    It's not a thigh-size issue, my knees just hate my legs being crossed. Ive had patellar subluxation (where your kneecap goes flying all over the place) in the past. It's painful. It's not good for your circulation either, so... there's that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you mean knee-on-knee crossing, not ankle-on-knee. I can do both, and could do when I was over 300#. I'm not comfy with knee-on-knee because it doesn't give me a decent lap for resting things. I mostly cross at the ankles.
  • dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Im looking forward to walking/hiking/running without my thighs rubbing together... That would be super.. lol

Mine have rubbed and touched since I was about 14 years old. I've never been fat- they still rub and touch- and clearly- I'm not over weight.

So- just a fair warning- you may still have to deal with the problem- it's certainly LESS of an issue- and you can get away with capris pants and not shred them- but- le sigh- some of us- we were born with fabulous tree trunk legs. That eat shorts. LOL

OP- I can cross mine- but sometimes I have to shimmy over the top- depends on the desk- I do not have lean legs at all.

I have had big thighs all my life, even when I was 115lbs. I think my thighs will always rub. I am working to get rid of the non-muscular jiggle. wink:
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    20Grit wrote: »

Mine have rubbed and touched since I was about 14 years old. I've never been fat- they still rub and touch- and clearly- I'm not over weight.

OP- I can cross mine- but sometimes I have to shimmy over the top- depends on the desk- I do not have lean legs at all.

I'm with JoRocka on this one.

^^ This! I've come to realize that mine will forever be like this, just on a smaller scale.

As for the crossing of the legs, I have always been able to it's just not very comfortable for me because my legs are short and my hips are wide. So when I do cross them the leg that is crossed sticks out to the side rather than straight down like some other women's. Oh well.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Lost 118 lbs, crossing my legs is awesome, as is wearing heels, lycra to run and cycle in and soooooo many other things...
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I looooooove being able to cross my legs ! It really is the simple things like that, that keep you going and wanting to get healthier. I love being able to bend over to tie my shoes and paint my toenails comfortably too ! One caveat, though. I had a lot of cushion in the back, and I lost a lot, and now I can feel my tailbone when I sit down. It's weird, and I don't like it, but I will gladly take it along with all the other bones that are starting to make an appearance. I DO have a skeleton ! WOW ! Good luck with your journey ! Remember, small sacrifices over time amount to BIG changes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I looooooove being able to cross my legs ! It really is the simple things like that, that keep you going and wanting to get healthier. I love being able to bend over to tie my shoes and paint my toenails comfortably too ! One caveat, though. I had a lot of cushion in the back, and I lost a lot, and now I can feel my tailbone when I sit down. It's weird, and I don't like it, but I will gladly take it along with all the other bones that are starting to make an appearance. I DO have a skeleton ! WOW ! Good luck with your journey ! Remember, small sacrifices over time amount to BIG changes.

Yeah, I can feel my lower hipbones when I sit for a while. No sore tailbone yet but I wouldn't be surprised because I have very little butt.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    @Lourdesong.... you must have nice long legs because although I can easily cross my legs, my ankles are no where near each other, definitely the dangling! lol... then again, I'm barely 5'4, so maybe that has something to do with it... ?
    @JoRocka.... Love that you call them "tree trunk legs".... that's what I've always called mine! I almost never wear shorts, but opt for short skirts instead.... :smile:

LOL @1HappyRedhead‌
    That is DEFINITELY what they are- and I figure I might as well own up to what they are then try to be something they aren't!!!
  • kiit1234
    kiit1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lost 118 lbs, crossing my legs is awesome, as is wearing heels, lycra to run and cycle in and soooooo many other things...

• kiit1234
    kiit1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    A year ago I discovered I could cross my legs. I lose weight slowly so little things like this keep me going.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Hmm, not sure? I'm 5'5", and I perceive my legs to be average/proportional to my height, definitely not short, but I wouldn't consider them long/leggy either.
    I know I can't double-cross my legs, where you wrap your crossed over foot around/behind the other ankle/foot that is planted on the ground (if that makes sense). My legs are too heavy for that. Close but not close enough, need to drop more weight. :)

• Jillish23
    Jillish23 Posts: 226 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Strange this topic came up as crossing my legs today was my most recent NSV! I knew I'd lost weight from my tree trunks for legs, as my trousers are all starting to resemble MC Hammer's, but I didn't realise quite how much they'd changed until 10mins ago!

My thighs and hips are definitely the biggest part of my weight loss effort. I'm down 30lbs and have another 100lbs to go! :#
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Jillish23 wrote: »
    Strange this topic came up as crossing my legs today was my most recent NSV! I knew I'd lost weight from my tree trunks for legs, as my trousers are all starting to resemble MC Hammer's, but I didn't realise quite how much they'd changed until 10mins ago!

My thighs and hips are definitely the biggest part of my weight loss effort. I'm down 30lbs and have another 100lbs to go! :#

That's incredible! I tried it last night and couldn't hold the position lol. So I'll be trying this sporadically. Instead of an old pair of jeans, I'll be trying to toss one leg over the other. Haha THANKS FOR THE ENCOURAGEMENT GIRLS!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I've always had thick thighs (I love them). I think it's because I was a dancer? Anyway, yes - I can cross my legs. I guess it's something I've taken for granted because I was still able to do so 70 pounds ago.
  • Ameengyrl
    Ameengyrl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Hmm, not sure? I'm 5'5", and I perceive my legs to be average/proportional to my height, definitely not short, but I wouldn't consider them long/leggy either.
    I know I can't double-cross my legs, where you wrap your crossed over foot around/behind the other ankle/foot that is planted on the ground (if that makes sense). My legs are too heavy for that. Close but not close enough, need to drop more weight. :)

Now the double cross!! That is the ultimate mega winner loll. I don't have my sights set on that one. The only ppl I know that can do that are 100-120 and average height.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Ameengyrl wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »

Now the double cross!! That is the ultimate mega winner loll. I don't have my sights set on that one. The only ppl I know that can do that are 100-120 and average height.

I'm 5'5", 160 pounds and I can do it.

I think it's less to do with weight and more to do with flexibility?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!