believing in science

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    JohnZain wrote: »
    General Relativity is the best theory of gravity we have today but it doesn't fit ALL of reality. At Planck's length both quantum mechanics and general relativity break down. We don't have a theory which we can use to do calculations at Planck's length.

Just like when Newton unified celestial motion and terrestrial motion, we need a unified theory of quantum gravity. So, you see Einstein's "Theory" is proven but it's insufficient and it will eventually be replaced.

The beauty of the scientific process, though, is that we know it is insufficient and needs to be refined or replaced. That's the best thing I can ever say about Science: it never settles for our current level of understanding. Whether it be cosmology or the human body, we never say, "Ah, *kitten* it. That's good enough."
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Science relies on facts.
    thank you for your replies - most of which are based on the belief that scientific knowledge is factual.
    My understanding is that scientific theories are constantly evolving. Hence they are not 'facts'.

Scientific theories are models that best fit all available evidence. Although nuances within the theory may change, enhancing our understanding of the subject, it is absurdly improbably that such new information would completely invalidate a theory (in the scientific sense of the word). E.g., gaining new information of how gravity works at a quantum level is quite unlikely to disprove our basic understanding that bodies of mass attract each other in predictable ways.

Scientific knowledge isn't factual...it's observable, testable, and repeatable. More importantly, the discovery process is not just aware that the findings may be wrong, it actively seeks to prove them so. What other way would you want to live your life than that which requires constant introspection and course correction?

+1
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Um, Einstein's General Theory of Relativity is known (and proven) scientific fact. "Theory" has a different meaning in the scientific context:

"A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation."

Gravitational theory
    Cellular theory
    Evolutionary theory (yes)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

They're considered 'theories' since they are just describing models that fit what we can observe today. As we progress, our ability to observe will improve and may necessitate changes to today's 'theories'.

Since they are subject to change as our understanding deepens, theories are indeed, NOT facts.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    JohnZain wrote: »
    General Relativity is the best theory of gravity we have today but it doesn't fit ALL of reality. At Planck's length both quantum mechanics and general relativity break down. We don't have a theory which we can use to do calculations at Planck's length.

Just like when Newton unified celestial motion and terrestrial motion, we need a unified theory of quantum gravity. So, you see Einstein's "Theory" is proven but it's insufficient and it will eventually be replaced.

The beauty of the scientific process, though, is that we know it is insufficient and needs to be refined or replaced. That's the best thing I can ever say about Science: it never settles for our current level of understanding. Whether it be cosmology or the human body, we never say, "Ah, *kitten* it. That's good enough."

THIS
  • MattBeFit
    MattBeFit Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Science isn't an agenda, it is, in its simplest form, the logical conclusion/consensus reached on the best information available. Science is never wrong/illogical in the moment, but past determinations revised based on new information. It can be counter-intuitive, but never illogical.
  • MattBeFit
    Options
    The factor I like best about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not. There is no vested interest in the individual.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Maximus wrote: »
    I believe in science. There is truth in science. But I also believe that scientists can be wrong and have been wrong in the past. Just because a scientist says its true doesn't mean it is (the brightest scientific minds once thought the world was flat).

The fallible scientist argument, while persuasive, doesn't invalidate the process. That's why peer-review exists. As for the bolded part, it's been over two thousand years since the brightest scientific minds thought the world was flat. There are better examples you can use if you want to make that argument.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I believe in science. There is truth in science. But I also believe that scientists can be wrong and have been wrong in the past. Just because a scientist says its true doesn't mean it is (the brightest scientific minds once thought the world was flat).
    MattBeFit wrote: »
    The factor I like best about science is that it's true whether you believe it or not. There is no vested interest in the individual.

This is what I also meant to point out. When we make determinations based on scientific inquiry, our beliefs don't matter. We know the universe is expanding because, among other things, we can calculate red shift. It doesn't matter if you think the galaxies are fixed; the science is still true. I don't care what your beliefs about the universe are; if they conflict with the data, it is the belief that must change.
  • Timbur_Wolf
    Timbur_Wolf Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Anyone else come in here just because OP said science?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I explained to a friend that I believe in following methods that have sceintific studies to back them up.

My friend made a couple of points:

1. In the past, many scientific recommendations end up being wrong (eg 'Low-fat' in the '80s). It is reasonable to assume that at least some current scientific recommendations are wrong, too. Even Einstein's theory of relativity is just a theory, after all. Looking back in history, at any given time some of the ideas that were accepted as facts (the earth being flat, for example) have since turned out to be false. It is reasonable to assume that history will look back on the current period in the same way.

2. There are many truths out there which are yet to be discovered by science.

ie I am putting my beliefs in something (namely, 'proven by science') which I know to be both incomplete and inaccurate in parts.

Or to put it another way, I give 'proven by science' an almost god like status. When I make a decision, I consult what 'proven by science' has to say about it and base the actions I take in my life on this. Even though I know that I am following something which is not entirely true.

He then said that I try to convince people that my beliefs are the right way, and that they should follow my beliefs. Also that I consider people who don't follow my beliefs to be wrong.

He added that I enjoy spending time with people who share my beliefs because it gives us a feeling of community and superiority.

I do all this while knowing that my beliefs are not correct. (see points 1 and 2, above).

What do you think ? Is 'proven by science' just another set of beliefs, no different to the many others that are out there ? In fact perhaps its worse because implicit in the belief is the understanding that the beliefs are wrong ???

I generally agree with both of you.

One 1 hand, all we have to go on is the knowledge we currently have. However, the scope of that knowledge is always changing, and the "correctness" of that knowledge is always being evaluated (or at least should be).

On the other hand, we have to realize that we don't know it all, that we could be wrong despite things having been "proven", and we have to realize that the conditions under which something is tested/proven can differ from the conditions under which operate and live. Not all variables can be controlled at all times.

I also agree that, when we believe in something, especially if it's something we are emotionally invested in, we will often try to persuade others to think as we do. And yes, there is comfort, reassurance and sanity in surrounding ourselves with people who think like us and agree with our ideas/principles. However, a lot can be learned from different points of view, and it's often ignorant to think of those points of view as wrong (even though many of us tend to do it, myself included).
  • MattBeFit
    Options

The fallible scientist argument, while persuasive, doesn't invalidate the process. That's why peer-review exists. As for the bolded part, it's been over two thousand years since the brightest scientific minds thought the world was flat. There are better examples you can use if you want to make that argument.

Exactly this. Also, was the world ever scientifically proven to be flat based on the best information available at that time, or simply accepted as an evident truth because that's what was most readily apparent to the naked eye? I would argue the conclusion that the world is flat was reached following a scientific methodology, so it can't be used as a truly scientific example. Theorizing the world is not flat, however, was scientifically validated.
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If the universe expanded what space did it fill?
  • gothomson
    gothomson Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love the "It's just a theory" line, ok, gravity is "just a theory" too - good luck with ignoring that one! Also I dont "believe" in science I "believe the evidence" If new evidence comes along that contradicts what I thought I knew I change my view; its the scientific method and its served us far better that blind faith ever has.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    If the universe expanded what space did it fill?

Nothing.
  • JohnZain
    JohnZain Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    MattBeFit wrote: »

Oh really? I would encourage you and everyone interested in the philosophy of science to read Thomas Kuhn's Structure of Scientific Revolutions.

There are plenty of vested interests including political agenda, research grants/funding.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Anyone else come in here just because OP said science?

raises-hand.gif
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ueol2hqxzmim.jpg

This was getting a little deep for me so I decided to repost this fabulous picture from page 1!
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    ueol2hqxzmim.jpg

This was getting a little deep for me so I decided to repost this fabulous picture from page 1!

Underrated post is underrated. That was a fabulous picture!
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    @tincanonastring :( apparently my gif was appreciated by all. *tear*